All rights reserved. Why not...?’ – Khabib on fame, Russian president & meeting DiCaprio, Bryzgalova or Jolie? She couldn't match the feat of Katarina Witt or Sonja Henie, who both won back-to-back Olympic titles. Discover more from the Olympic Channel, including video highlights, replays, news and facts about Olympic athlete Adelina SOTNIKOVA. Skating last, Kim needed a repeat of her Vancouver performance to hold onto the gold. But I thought it was ok for a professional athlete. '', "I wanted to skate my best today but it didn't work,'' she said. We rely on readers like you to uphold a free press. I just couldn't skate badly,” she added. Sotnikova trailed Kim by just .28 going into Thursday, and she overcame that by winning the free skate 149.95 to Kim's 144.19. Separation? Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Taught by Anna Patrikeeva until the age of seven, she then began training at CSKA which is further away from her home.

People need to be held accountable. I asked doctors to help me skate in the shows, where I reduced the jumping content,” said the skater, who took part in Evgeni Plushenko’s New Year show ‘Cinderella’. © Autonomous Nonprofit Organization “TV-Novosti”, 2005–2020. On Monday Sotnikova announced her retirement, confirming that she will still take part in figure skating shows. Sotnikova hasn’t won any international awards since then, with injuries affecting her training process. By clicking “I agree” below, you consent to the use by us and our third-party partners of cookies and data gathered from your use of our platforms. When she won the free skate, she further confirmed Russian command of the sport. Kostner, 27, skated to the sport's iconic musical piece "Bolero.'' Wagner didn't complain about her score, but criticized a scoring system that invites skepticism. UFC champ's father posts clip of Dagestani youngster wrestling with a bear (VIDEO), Booty attack: Venezuelan fitness model bitten on bottom by wild pig (VIDEO), Kaepernick accused of 'selling out' as NFL collusion case settlement ‘could net him up to $80mn’, ‘Pray he has no plans for children’: Internet recoils at below-the-belt kick on Russian MMA fighter, White House face-off? But Sotnikova made up for it for Russia. I did a clean short and a clean long.”. The vast lake is the largest in the world in terms of freshwater volumes, and is also the deepest in the world. She was the first Russian female figure skater to win the Olympic gold medal in the singles. See our Privacy Policy and Third Party Partners to learn more about the use of data and your rights. When she finally got to the Games this year, she was overshadowed by an even younger teammate. © Reuters / Issei Kato, Subscribe to RT newsletter to get stories the mainstream media won’t tell you, ‘Hockey with Putin? Sotnikova’s victory meant a third figure skating gold for Russia at Sochi 2014, following the success of Tatiana Voloshozhar and Maxim Trankov in the pairs, and their triumph in the inaugural team event. In fact, I smashed my highest score for my whole career and I did it at the Olympics,” said the thrilled teenager. Read RT Privacy policy to find out more. In women’s gold-medal game, U.S. loses heartbreaker to Canada, 3-2. Sotnikova became a national treasure by winning gold in Sochi. Nine judges score each skater, and the individual judges' scorecards are not released. - Adelina Sotnikova quotes from BrainyQuote.com And it was a long way for me. She also posted pictures of herself leaping on the frozen ice and sitting on the lake, which lies in the southern part of Siberia, within the republics of Buryatia and Irkutsk.

We use cookies and other technologies to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests. "At that time I could die for gold in the Olympics,'' she said of 2010. NHL star Ovechkin wants to ask Trump ‘when Russia relations will improve’. Again she struggled in the second half of her routine, stepping out of one jump and falling on another. It is typically frozen from around January to May, and provides a stunning natural skating rink with a crystal clear view of the lake below. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Flipboard (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window). The Russian teenager overcame an error when she two-footed a double loop in her combination jump to post the second best score ever in the free skate, and she was just 0.11 off the world record mark Kim achieved on her way to gold in Vancouver four years earlier. Adelina Sotnikova, the Sochi Olympic figure skating champion who last competed in 2015, confirmed that she retired from competition, according to Russian media. “I found something totally different in myself today. She was too young to compete at the 2010 Olympics. This content is currently not available in your region. Adelina Sotnikova is a figure skater who has competed for Russia. But she remains one of Russia’s golden girls in a nation packed with skating talent, and clearly seems to be loving life at the moment. It feels so great that patience and sacrifice and hard work and faith are paid at the end.''. Among those youngsters was Adelina Sotnikova, who won a national championship in 2009, when she was just 12. With a slight frown, she left the ice, waved weakly to the crowd from the kiss-and-cry area, and wound up fifth, far below expectations. READ MORE: Alysa Liu vs. Kamila Valieva: Battle of the season to unfold at 2020 World Junior Figure Skating Championships. To chants of "Jul-i-a, Jul-i-a,'' Lipnitskaia took the ice first in the last group, knowing her chances to win were ruined with a fall in the short program. © Global Look Press / imago sportfotodienst, Subscribe to RT newsletter to get stories the mainstream media won’t tell you, Adelina Sotnikova © Sputnik / Alexander Vilf, Skating star swindled: Police arrest 'fortune tellers' who took $32K from Olympic champion Sotnikova 'to solve boyfriend woes', ‘Dodgy decision’: Russian biathlon official questions controversial doping bans for former stars, Barcelona hit by HACK ATTACK from cyber group OurMine who claim Neymar is on his way back to the Nou Camp, ‘The big one’: WATCH huge crash at Daytona 500 take out HALF the racers, 'I want to kill myself': Sports stars rally round as mother shares heartbreaking video of bullied son (VIDEO), Italian police search surging Russian biathlete Loginov HOURS before race, Ancient grave circles filled with cremated human bones found under Belgian football pitch, Bloody hell! Кaждую минуту нам даются ответы, и надо только понять, на какой именно вопрос. © Autonomous Nonprofit Organization “TV-Novosti”, 2005–2020. Asada was third in the free skate after finishing 16th in Wednesday's short program and wound up sixth. From beginning to end, she owned the music -- and by the finish, she owned much of the crowd, too. But it was four-time Russian national champion Sotnikova - runner-up at the Europeans behind her compatriot Julia Lipnitskaia in January - who made history, much to the delight of the locals who made up the majority of the audience at a packed Iceberg Skating Palace. Not until Sotnikova and 15-year-old Julia Lipnitskaia developed into junior world champions. The Russians have won three figure skating gold medals at these Olympics: women's, pairs and team. "People do not want to watch a sport where they see someone skate lights out and they can't depend on that person to be the one who pulls through,'' Wagner said. She began working with coach Elena Buianova (Vodorezova) a year later. And the sheet has been fixed by six titanium screws inserted into the vertebrae, making her able to skate and delight the fans,” said the skater’s agent Maria Shashina. Adelina Sotnikova began skating at the age of four at the Yuzhny ice rink near her home in Moscow. When she got onto the podium for the flower ceremony, to raucous chants of "Ro-ssi-ya,'' she jumped up and down like a teenager whose Olympic goal had come true. Adelina Sotnikova, Russia's first Olympic women's singles champion, reportedly said she will not return to competition. This website uses cookies. The new Olympic Channel brings you news, highlights, exclusive behind the scenes, live events and original programming, 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. But in December I realized that everything was much more serious, because I couldn’t sleep or sit without feeling pain,” the Olympic champion added. Both women skated nearly flawless programs, but Sotnikova completed one more decisive triple jump. Well, not really in Russia. “I started dreaming about taking part in the Games after that victory,” she recalled. Sochi Olympic figure skating champion Adelina Sotnikova has wowed the internet with mesmerizing footage of her skating on a frozen Lake Baikal in Siberia. Sotnikova was hospitalized in the end of February to have surgery on her troublesome spine. "It's the Olympics. And while she has not competed formally in recent years, the Russian star showed she’s still very much capable of some mesmeric moves. Sotnikova stressed that doctors insisted on immediate surgical intervention, but she refused to go to hospital, continuing to participate in various shows where she had contractual obligations.

Случайностей не бывает.

Everybody experiences pain from time to time,” Sotnikova said.

The teenager improved on her previous best free skate score by 18 points to clinch gold, as Kim took silver and Italy's Carolina Kostner won the bronze. With the backdrop of a Russian dance track, a smiling Sotnikova takes to the ice as cars drive across the ice in the background. Adelina Sotnikova gave Russia its first Olympic gold medal in women's figure skating with a stunning upset of defending champion Kim Yu-na of South Korea on Thursday at the Sochi Games. Sotnikova wins skating gold; USA's Gold 4th, Bubbles? I knew it won't be easy. But on Thursday night, the 17-year-old Sotnikova looked comfortable and unburdened by the pressure of the host nation, becoming Russia's first gold medalist in women's Olympic figure skating. Sotnikova was overcome. She hasn’t competed for more than five years, her last international appearance being the 2015 Rostelecom Cup. Russia’s first ever ladies’ singles Olympic champion Adelina Sotnikova has officially retired from professional sport after undergoing complicated surgery on her spine, involving titanium screws being inserted into the vertebrae. Javascript must be enabled for the correct page display, Norway's Sonja Henie, a triple winner between 1928 and 1936, Tatiana Voloshozhar and Maxim Trankov in the pairs. Please enable cookies on your web browser in order to continue. Adelina Sotnikova, the Sochi Olympic figure skating champion who last competed in 2015, confirmed that she retired from competition, according to Russian media. Read RT Privacy policy to find out more.

[more]. ), Публикация от ⛸ Adelina Sotnikova ⛸ (@adelina_sotnikova14) 16 Ноя 2018 в 3:10 PST, Удивительно, что может сделать один луч солнца с душой человека… ‍♀️ _____________ Photo by - @alshevskaya_oxana Make up - @polina__beauty_, Публикация от ⛸ Adelina Sotnikova ⛸ (@adelina_sotnikova14) 4 Янв 2019 в 9:51 PST, ...⛸...❤️ #figureskating #skating #ice #life #love, Публикация от ⛸ Adelina Sotnikova ⛸ (@adelina_sotnikova14) 3 Фев 2019 в 7:32 PST. “All the sacrifices were worth it because the feelings I'm having now are difficult to describe,” said Sotnikova.