Former Georgetown standout Mac McClung committed to Texas Tech on Wednesday, becoming the latest heralded transfer to join Chris Beard's program. McClung’s agent seems to think his client’s P&R ability is a selling point. I’m not saying he couldn’t have gotten that at Georgetown, but he didn’t showcase that at Georgetown. He didn’t get the opportunity really to showcase that.". 2 Major Schools Named Landing Spots For Transfer Mac McClung. Re-watching his highlights, Mac McClung may have thrived running the pick-and-roll this year with Wahab, and maybe Ewing could have put him in a few more pick-and-roll situations to help him get a step or a mismatch in the past. Even the school itself is in a rough spot. The opposite has happened. LINKS: BIG EAST Bubble in January? A place I can be a part of a family and help them succeed.". Georgetown’s Mac McClung plays during a college basketball game against Villanova, Saturday, Jan. 11, 2020, in Philadelphia. The next season, Ewing brought in graduate transfer and ball distribution engineer, Terrell Allen to mix in with McClung, Akinjo, Mosely, and Blair. Georgetown Coach Patrick Ewing is recovering at home after being hospitalized for coronavirus, Former Howard QB Caylin Newton follows in brother Cam’s footsteps with transfer to Auburn, Virginia football taking cautious approach after NCAA approves voluntary workouts. You also agree to our Terms of Service. Namely, Ewing recruited many guards and received commitments from Arkansas graduate transfer Jalen Harris (PG), along with freshmen Tyler Beard (PG), Dante Harris (PG), T.J. Berger (CG), and Kobe Clark (G/F). “I’m looking for a place I can call home, a place I can be a part of a family and help them succeed.”. Covering the impact of coronavirus on the sports world. His top player for next season, Mac McClung, has requested to transfer from the Hoyas immediately. Please enable cookies on your web browser in order to continue. Many teams are doing it. He will need to file a waiver to play immediately in 2020-21. It’s hard to believe that any of the new guys merited minutes at the expense of Mac, but perhaps there was indeed a role confusion with the influx. Mac McClung averaged 14.2 points per game in his two seasons with Georgetown. Mac McClung joined the Georgetown men’s basketball team as a high school Internet sensation who brought instant buzz. Hoyas Coach Patrick Ewing said this month that McClung had dropped the idea of heading to the NBA and was returning to Georgetown. The move ends an interesting couple of months for the 6-foot-2 guard, who announced in March that he would enter the NBA draft while maintaining two years of college eligibility. “I really wanted to stay, but things throughout my career made me realize that I couldn’t. pic.twitter.com/f8ns3YY9Zn. Email. Off the court, Georgetown announced in early December that starting point guard James Akinjo and backup forward Josh LeBlanc would no longer play for the program. As a freshman, he averaged 13.1 points a game. By clicking “I agree” below, you consent to the use by us and our third-party partners of cookies and data gathered from your use of our platforms. Tyler Beard has shown the ability to score and facilitate with very talented teammates. We rely on readers like you to uphold a free press. ... I’m looking for a place I can call home. “Being more of a point guard role, etc. Still, the latter part of McClung’s rationale is perhaps a little more troubling for the Georgetown alumni and fans—”I’m looking for a place I can call home. Put another way, McClung has shown that he can attack and shoot aggressively like a two-guard, but when has McClung shown an ability to facilitate and distribute? Mac McClung has opted to transfer out of Georgetown after two seasons. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: collegebasketball | pageType: stories | If McClung is looking for a team where he is the only guard (and primary scoring option), good luck. Follow. Lastly, even if McClung’s shooting guard position is not preferred, Ewing’s fast-paced three-guard offense required plenty of ball-handling. The program hiring an big-name alum was supposed to invigorate the fanbase and donors. It’s clearly too late to keep McClung at Georgetown, but it behooves Ewing to be even more honest and communicative with his remaining team, especially the four freshmen guards. LeBlanc and teammate Galen ­Alexander were named in a November civil complaint, and both players were named in a second complaint, along with another teammate, Myron Gardner. Mac McClung informed Georgetown of his intention to transfer after pulling his name out of the NBA draft. Ewing enters his fourth season without an NCAA Tournament bid and hasn't even come close to sniffing March Madness as a coach. Does the UNC basketball program have a shot at sensational Georgetown transfer Mac McClung? It didn’t work and Akinjo transferred, presumably because of McClung’s large scoring role. McClung to Transfer From Georgetown https://t.co/p9hBhqqOxr. Eamonn Brennan of The Athletic agrees that McClung would still have been the lead dog: Perhaps the opportunity to run the show became more important to McClung than sheer scoring volume.