And while he’s totally onboard with this album’s push into more electronic territory, he also relished the times he got to pound the hell out of the skins: the cathartic ‘The Day I Die’ and ‘Turtleneck’, the most “punk” The National have been in years. Typically, Aaron sort of drives the bigger-picture-type things. I asked both Devendorf brothers what they think of Matt’s cooking/baking metaphor. Like duel soloing … almost like it was a game between twins or something.
The National 's Aaron Dessner was dragged into a bizarre theory over the weekend regarding the ongoing protests following the death of George Floyd last month..

I’m responsible for a lot of the detail, all of the orchestration … [and] a lot of the more subversive elements in the music. All Five Members Of The National On ‘Sleep Well Beast’, The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness’. We recorded Alligator in my sister’s attic; and Boxer, a lot of it in my attic. And a short stint at a place called Earthstar Creation Centre, four blocks from the beach in Venice, California. Kenneally / 01 June 2020, 14:42 BST. In 1998, after Dessner's earlier band, Project Nim, broke up, Devendorf invited the brothers to join his band The National. Reportedly, Stine is from a pretty Danish lady from Copenhagen who met Aaron around 2007. Antifa is an anti-fascist political movement, and over the weekend President Trump tweeted that he is "designating ANTIFA as a Terrorist Organization". I would be programming drums. It’s sort of a long, thin pond. Dessner was, in fact, in the rural countryside with his wife and children and was not at a protest. We work completely tied to each other. Maybe it’s both? I think all of our records are political in a sense. ", He adds, "However I do FULLY support peaceful protests and activism against endemic racism and racially motivated violence in this country, which somehow continues generation after generation after generation. Nor have I been in Ohio since June 2019.”. A post shared by Aaron Dessner (@aarondessner) on May 31, 2020 at 10:20am PDT. “I've been here for three months now isolating with my wife and young children. Yep, you guessed it – Donald Trump. There were other sessions, too. Like Matt, Bryce was one of the Long Pond early risers – but for different reasons altogether. Aaron’s wife is Danish, so he splits time between Copenhagen and Upstate New York. Aaron Dessner is pretty much active on social media. These days he’ll text himself lyrics, or mumble things along to the music until something comes out. The National had recorded their previous four albums – Trouble Will Find Me, High Violet, Boxer and Alligator – in more confined spaces. Like so many, I'm hoping for peaceful resolution and actual progress addressing these persistent issues in our society. The weird claim was made after a video clip that sees a man who looks a little like Dessner paying protesters to riot in Ohio surfaced. We recorded a great deal of material there, but the twins were travelling the world capturing a lot of sounds, mainly in Berlin and then all the orchestrations were recorded in a studio in Paris. Every season of the year it’s beautiful. By 2020, Aaron Dessner had been married to his wife, Stine Wengler for over 4 years.

Or you can go to the bathroom and record, or go in the kitchen and record, or the bedroom. The architect made the door openings higher and was conscious of things being head-height. I would stay in the [main] house because of my brother’s kids, who I’m really close to.

He has over 49k followers on his Instagram, “aadrondessner.” Likewise, the singer also has over 13.4k followers on his twitter, “aaron-dessner.”

However I do FULLY support peaceful protests and activism against endemic racism and racially motivated violence in this country, which somehow continues generation after generation after generation. pic.twitter.com/JMYaJARfFF, Dessner responded to the false claims yesterday (31 May) on Twitter, writing, "I'm very fortunate and grateful to wake up every morning in the rural countryside I live in, looking at farmland and these beautiful mountains. And before that, Alligator and Boxer. That open plan studio set up inspired some of the album’s most cathartic guitar moments including a jagged solo on ‘The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness’…, I did that cause we were drinking beer one night, joking around. I was not interested in sitting around all day. So in ‘Guilty Party’, the break-up stuff is about my marriage. This morning I've woken up to the unpleasant and surprising news that I've been misindentified by some social media users as someone seen encouraging rioting in Columbus, Ohio -- I am not the person some are suggesting I am. Scott: Matt was the commandant of the vibe of that song. By

I think the electronic drum beat in ‘Guilty Party’ was recorded on a phone. He shared a photo of grass, trees, and mountains with a note to fans. It’s also about the band. According to Brooklyn Vegan, a now-suspended Twitter account suggested that Dessner is "an Antifa organizer paying people to riot" who "needs to be arrested NOW!!".

A week out in a 1950s recording facility in East Berlin, where local musicians were encouraged to drop in and “react” to the music they had made out at Long Pond. I think it kind of brings us back to the joy of why we did this in the first place. “They’re creatively blossomed,” the band’s guitarist and composer Bryce Dessner – Aaron’s twin – says of the other set of siblings in the band. He’s in his backyard in Venice, California – even though he calls through from a New York number. He shared a photo of grass, trees, and mountains with a note to fans. This morning I've woken up to the unpleasant and surprising news that I've been misindentified by some social media users as someone seen encouraging rioting in Columbus, Ohio -- I am not the person some are suggesting I am. Sometimes that happens. One of Dessner's friends even replied to the Twitter thread saying it's not him: “He wasn’t there.

Cerys You can’t really avoid it if you’re honest and in the world. 63.9k Followers, 513 Following, 641 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Aaron Dessner (@aarondessner) But, then again it’s not really autobiographical or anything like that. And it’s beautiful to look out at the nature – you’ll see wild turkeys, and coyotes, and hawks, and all kinds of stuff. The National's Aaron Dessner was dragged into a bizarre theory over the weekend regarding the ongoing protests following the death of George Floyd last month. I would be rewriting the bridge of a song. We’re all very engaged as individuals, but as a band, we try and have the songs be about the songs, and let the music stand independently. Apparent Antifa organizer caught on camera appearing to pay some kids to riot. Previously we had a studio in my garage in Brooklyn where we had made High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me, and I made a bunch of other records there. We tend to be very nit-picky and detail oriented in the studio, and it gets very myopic. As we speak he and my wife are trying to finish a little edit of a TV project that’s he’s been working on for a long time. It was probably good for my brother, because he got to sleep in. Like so many, I'm hoping for peaceful resolution and actual progress addressing these persistent issues in our society.". I've been here for three months now isolating with my wife and young children. There’s really not any hierarchy there. Matt describes the making of the album as a “cooking session”. I’m a small-room drum-sound guy – it turns out the drums sounded better in a large, open space.

Aaron Dessner holds an American nationality and comes from White ethnicity. It’s a couple weeks later when I speak to singer Matt Berninger. And between country hikes and dips in the property’s pond, they began laying the foundation of what would be their seventh, and most intricate album, Sleep Well Beast. Bryce is credited as co-producer on this record alongside his twin brother Aaron, so I’m wondering how that dynamic works. ‘Turtleneck’ was one of the first songs we conceived of at the initial session where we all met in Easter 2016 … It was tossed off, very casual.
Terms of Service / Privacy Policy / All Rights Reserved, Michael Stipe shared a video of his new collaborative track with Aaron Dessner titled "No Time for Love Like Now", Django Django announce fourth album with title-track “Glowing In The Dark”, Billie Eilish grabs food at a deserted mall on new cut “Therefore I Am”, It looks like Megan Thee Stallion is about to announce her debut album, 3OH!3 to link with 100 gecs on first new single in four years “Lonely Machines” tomorrow, You can now play as Dua Lipa in FIFA 21 VOLTA, Ryan Hemsworth shares new Quarter-Life Crisis song “Comfortable” with Hand Habits’ Meg Duffy, Joan of Arc preview final LP with third single “Karma Repair Kit”, Elder Island return with striking new single “Feral” and b-side “Absolute”, Margot probe a very timely yearning for intimacy on new track “Falling In Between Days”, Alicia Clara hits upon dream-pop perfection with new single “Five”, Palberta level up on the ambitious harmonies of “Corner Store”, Hiatus looks beyond human behaviour on the atmospheric “Arrival”, daine teams up with Danny L Harle for spiritual emo ballad “Angel Numbers”, Polly Money shares debut mixtape and bold new single “In The Dark”. I have for this past, like, five years – it’s just when I get up. He still lives with us. Aaron – the band’s producer – says he wanted to create an environment the band could come home to. The initial thought was drums would be in this room they built. Aaron was looking for a beat and I was travelling. And what better way to musically represent The Donald than something a little, well, deranged.

Bryce lives in Paris with his French wife, but he’s in Dublin now, where The National are playing a double-header at a venue called Vicar Street. Aaron Dessner of The National, who cowrote 11 songs on Taylor Swift's surprise album "Folklore," also worked with Sharon Van Etten. They were mindful of my height. Dessner and his twin brother Bryce were childhood friends with Bryan Devendorf. Despite the relaxed nature of those Long Pond sessions, a sense of unease permeates the record, which Bryce says is reflective of the current mood in the US rather than anything consciously political. In addition, we also write a lot of the music together.

She is a registered nurse and worked at NewYork … Aaron Dessner of The National performs with the band during one of their concerts [SplashNews]. This studio-within-a-studio set-up allowed him to maximise his time. I’m like six-and-a-half-feet tall.