Your comment makes me smile.

Our hearts fill. And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just take one, they’ll have to take two; one of you and one of me, we’ll be joined so tight. This means, that whenever possible, it’s good to expose your daughter to stories that have strong female characters. So, this book was the kindling that gave birth to the first sparks of the feminist mindset that Leah possesses to this day.

There are many, many books that, no doubt, fall into the conventional thinking as being “the best girl books” like The Fault In Our Stars and Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret. I thank you for leaving the comment that you did. First of all, I am loathe to allow gender distinctions to limit intellectual and personal freedom. I am thrilled to share with you, this collection of the Best Chapter Books for Girls, compiled and written for us by one of my long-time daycare parents Tom MacInnes.

It is the most popular children’s literary series of all time for a reason. The story is told all in rhyme. If you wish to contact Tom, he will be having a hot cup of tea and checking his email at, « Scratch Art Family Portrait for Kids to Make and Give, How to Wrap a Gift in a Brown paper Bag ». Charlotte’s Web is as close to being a perfect book as you are likely to find. Fantasy books don’t have to be violent or suspenseful. Much like James Cameron’s Hollywood movie, these three books take a historical fiction angle on the real story. What gorgeous language throughout! The two follow-up books were equally good. The chapters of this multi-award winning book alternate between telling Hana’s life story, and telling Hana’s story from the point of view of a modern-day Japanese teacher named Fumiko, who has come into possession of an old suitcase with the name “Hana” painted on it, and is using it to teach her class about the Holocaust. By the way, the Smile and Sisters books have been read over and over again at our house, too. She began blogging in 2011, and today, Happy Hooligans inspires more than 2 million parents, caregivers and Early Years Professionals all over the globe. tales of adventure 10 Adventure Books That Should Be In Every Kid’s Library. That’s when Leah got to meet Katniss Everdeen. As did the Ingalls that night, so many lifetimes ago. Read with your child, surround them with good books, and let them chart their own course, and you too, will have an inspired reader on your hands. She says Pax tugs at your heartstrings and is a great read. Laura’s Pa can do anything. He hopes his retirement years will allow for a greater focus on his writing. So, in compiling this post, I felt it was prudent to ask Leah for some of her personal recommendations. Sign up for news about books, authors, and more from Penguin Random House, Visit other sites in the Penguin Random House Network. Hopefully, by doing so, you will discover some new reads that are good for girls and/or you may find confirmation of choices you have already made for your daughter, niece or grandchild. You should check out the Australian Author Jacqueline Harvey and her series Alice Miranda and Clementine Rose. Leah received Pax by Sara Pennypacker as a gift, and we could not tear her away from its pages from the moment she opened it. Have fun sharing this experience with your child…you will both be the better for it. As you, no doubt understand, when you love your children, you find ways to express that beyond hugs and kisses.

Ann and Seamus by Kevin Major is a story depicting a ship that wrecked and sank off of the coast of Newfoundland. Leah completely gets how important books are in terms of the information they transmit, as well as their ability to transport the reader away from where they are to anywhere their imagination may take them. From the day we brought our girls home from the hospital, they have been read to.

I highly recommend this series and if you get a chance, they’re GREAT on audiobook, narrated by Mary Pope Osborne herself. I leave the room

Learn how your comment data is processed. This is a creative take on the historical fiction genre and can easily be read in one sitting. These books may hold the record in our house for being re-read, over and over again. Later, Leah read Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book as well. This fascination exploded when we read The Lightning Thief, and continued on throughout the remaining four books in the series. Like most men, if you cut him, he would bleed bacon. I would like to hope that if I were ever trapped on some distant outcrop, Leah would go to the ends of the universe to rescue me. Look out for a confirmation email from us.