Hi Alex, thanks for your input. Just to help a little before I go and test the Tonehammer some more. Their amps sound great, and there would be no reason to suspect that the preamp section on this pedal would be any less capable of dialing in some sweet bass tones. What I’m trying to say is, this thing can suit every kind of playing style, from slap bass to indie rock. One thing that may confuse – especially if you have been hanging out in the guitar sphere – is that sometimes the term preamp may be used to describe something that alters the gain structure to a degree where it effectively becomes an overdrive circuit.

SonoBoom.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. In fact, this article will not be static, as we will update it whenever we try out a new preamp that we think should be in here as well. I'm looking for something to use as a pre with a power amp. It is available in two different variants – one version with DI out, and one without. This pedal builds on the modern classic, the SansAmp Bass Driver DI from the same company, and the whole idea is to offer an alternative to actually bringing a full rig to the gig. Very clean sounding DI but the tone tweaking capabilities, including the ability to add OD into the bass sound ala Jack Casady's Versatone, are some of the best I have ever tried. My Bassist Chris 413,549 views. Simply, all you need to do is to look at the list of bass players that use this unit and to realize that it’s impossible to go wrong with it. I know SamsAmp, Aguilar Tone Hammer and Darkglass tend to be the holy grails, but I like the small footprint and sweepable mids that the MXR offers, and the price tag too.

As the gain is applied, the bass frequencies are tightened, and treble is smoothed. It is a little less flexible than the VT Bass DI as it does not offer a MID tone control, but it has a unique tone – also compared to the VT Bass DI from the same family, and if you are looking in this direction, you should probably try to find both and test them against each other first hand…. Marcus Miller was not the first bass player to ask luthier, Roger Sadowsky, for a Fender Jazz upgrade, but he did almost become synonymous with the particular tone that is now commonly referred to as ‘Jazz Bass on Steroids’. There are so many of them out there, and while a lot of them may appear to have fairly similar feature sets, they are all unique. Runs on a 9V alkaline battery (not supplied), but can also be directly run on a 9v DC power supply (not included), or 48v Phantom Power.

You can also try the “Air” switch for more top-end.

Now, the bass EQ band is centered at 40 Hz and the treble EQ is sitting at 4 kHz. But what does it do to the sound, and for the sound? And on a fully parametric EQ, you also gain control over the Q, which is what you need if you want to make very surgical adjustments. The bottom line: you reduce or eliminate line noise and allow the bass tone to be controlled when it goes into the mixer. You pretty much stuff them in there and hope for the best. You’ll find amp simulation more than sufficient for almost every situation. The VT Bass DI from Tech 21 NYC features a pretty basic 3-band EQ, coverig LOW, MID and HIGH. Standard operation is with one, nine-volt battery. Jaco's tone for those who saw him LIVE or met him. We’re not too keen on the sound when the Drive settings are at 80-100%, but that’s just our personal opinion.