Enter the username or e-mail you used in your profile. Archie’s workshop was co-curated with Nik from Sports Promotions. There are times where you have to take the hurt for your kid. When I then get to know the people I thought: Wow, they are people like me. Exhibition view, “Murderkino” by Scott Cliford Evans, 2020, Charim Galerie Wien, curated by Brigitte Huck Building up a real family structure. Being black and gay is another thing.

I first saw Vogue in 1981 when I walked through Washington Square Park after I came out of one of the underground clubs. Avoid these www-e-fights. There are not many pictures or public videos from Archie’s workshop as the man has strict rules. Archie Burnett is a highly respected underground club dancer in New York City who was one of the prime dancers during the late 70s and 80s, becoming well known for his individual freestyle of Waacking and Voguing. If you ever get the chance to speak to Leiomy Maldonado, she will tell you.

I was teaching them: Look, problems in Brazil are very real. We fully credit Uncle Archie for this stance.

Often we can get caught up in the hype of training with iconic teachers, but we must remember what we can gain. … I’ll just have to remember.” Putting on the music. But before you make a kid you spend time with them. Even though it is still difficult for transsexuals because most of them can’t find jobs as women. The dancer ARCHIE BURNETT is the first Father of the New York-based House of Ninja. Life is the Club. Being black is one thing. I know this is difficult. In Vienna, at ImPulsTanz, where you have been teaching for eight years now, your classes seem to be less queer than full of girls just wanting to become more fashionable.

“Voguing is an art, as well as a political statement” is a quotation from Paris Is Burning, the iconic film portrait of the 80s scene. When I was growing up we lived our lives in “Why this” and “Why that?” – so many obstacles in our ways. Spike Berlin has been host to a collaborative show between Ivan Gallery, Bucharest, and Temnikova & Kasela Gallery, Tallinn. Anna Jermolaewa, Filmset, Murderkino by Scott Cliford Evans, 2019.

150 Euro

Both styles exude a sense of power and superiority. I’ll tell you: There is another American saying, Keep it simple, stupid – KISS. Voguing is a style developed in the 1980ies and is characterized by poses, similar to the ones of photo model poses with some influences from the Harlem ballrooms of the 1930ies. 50+ videos Play all Mix - Streetstar 2013 Archie Burnett, Javier Ninja, Leyomi YouTube Voguers that inspire me - Duration: 13:44. You see the talent, you see what they do for themselves, the love they have for themselves and how deep they’ll be interested in what they’re doing when they will spend time with you. Back in those times a lot of kids didn’t have jobs and were walking the streets, selling drugs or their bodies.

From Munich to Berlin, it’s time to celebrate the High Holydays with a few jaunts to non-commercial spaces, and an apologetic butt-dial or two. We still need a lot of education on the use and the abuse of social media. This website uses cookies to help us give you the best experience when you visit our website. On the other hand: Of course we are dancers, we meet each other through dance circles. But! But it was very battleish. Jobs & Volunteering – think you can work with us? Earlier this summer, he held workshops at the ImPulsTanz festival in Vienna.