Scientific American is part of Springer Nature, which owns or has commercial relations with thousands of scientific publications (many of them can be found at. Females find the male cheek flaps attractive. 5. None of these incidents led to deaths.

November 12, 2020 — Carolyn Barber | Opinion, 2 hours ago — Chelsea Harvey and E&E News, 5 hours ago — Emily V. Driscoll and Jared Kaplan. Orangutans are an endangered species today. hepatitis, TB, influenza) risks.

The males also possess enormous cheek flaps called flanges, as well as large throat pouches. The report also says that "there is some uncertainty about whether habituation is a cause of this behavior". Knott’s latest research has focused on issues from the mating habits of female orangutans to the dangerous, illegal, and lucrative practice of the pet trade—removing primates from their habitat countries. Researchers indicate that their daily consumption during the peak fruit season is over 10,000 calories. There are only a few cases of captive gorillas behaving aggressively towards humans. Unfortunately for the often unwitting owners, orangutans quickly grow out of being cuddly and can, like any wild animal, become unmanageable and unruly when confined.

Some interesting facts about Orangutans are as follows; 1. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Orangutans possess some of the longest arms in the world. They are 5.5 feet tall and weigh 150 pounds. Footage recently released by International Animal Rescue, shows harrowing footage of an orangutan trying to fight off a bulldozer destroying its habitat. The Cincinnati police have said they will investigate the child's parents' actions. Orangutans are commonly referred to as the “human of the forest.”. Given that it’s rare for adult orangutans, supremely adapted to life in trees, to ever touch the ground; it’s no wonder that forest degradation, fragmentation and outright clearing—sometimes by intentionally set fires—are the main drivers of the species’ population decline. There have been a handful of other incidents reported. There are two species of orangutan, the Bornean orangutan and the Sumatran orangutan. According to the IUCN Red List, the Orangutans are critically endangered species. Fossey found that the gorillas were hardly ever violent. EarthTalk is now a book! She is @melissasuzanneh on Twitter. Wait really? Answer is: Damn strong. Share on Reddit.

Indonesian language are basically Malay. “Hundreds of loggers are employed to cut down a particular area of forest, and they have to find food for themselves,” says the Conservancy. If that does not work, he may attack. Before the incident with Harambe, there were two cases of children getting into gorilla enclosures. The sounds that they make are known as bellows, cries, or howls.

From Bahasa Indonesia to English, orang means person/people and hutan means forest - therefore orangutan is 'person of the forest'. However, Orangutans also build nests for comfort and for hiding away from predators such as the leopard.

Explore our digital archive back to 1845, including articles by more than 150 Nobel Prize winners. OP picked the saddest Orangutan picture he could find. Males are distinctively bigger than female Orangutans. The reason why I love orangutans the most out of all the non-human primates (gorillas are a close second), is because I personally think they display the highest levels of emotional intelligence out of all the non-human primates. He got the concept right, couldn't quiet execute it properly. Poachers are also killing orangutans for food for the so-called bush meat trade. Its co-author Matthew McLennan of Oxford Brookes University in the UK stresses, once again, that gorilla attacks on people in the wild are very rare and usually motivated by a defensive instinct. I believe it was an ancient Roman text I was reading that refers to the African Forest people, hairy all over, very large and muscular etc. The males could snap your arm in half like a twig.

He says the most important thing is not to judge the actions of Cincinnati Zoo, but to learn from the incident to prevent anything like it happening again.

Something I always thought was really cool was the meaning of "orangutan.". If the poacher had been an inch closer to the gorilla, he would probably have been disembowelled. But the gorillas Attenborough met had been carefully habituated to humans over many years, and everyone involved knew how to treat them with respect. 5. She had no choice but to wait for him to finish. They also bit, hit and threatened each other. A solitary ape: In the wild, orangutans are generally solitary creatures, or semi-solitary at least, which is quite unlike any other ape, or indeed most other of the so-called ‘higher’ primates (apes and monkeys).Once they reach maturity, they spend most of their time alone, or in the case of females with their offspring.

I'd worked it out in my own mind as being that it was because their hair was a ginger/orange colour, and "utan" was a suffix that meant a creature with that trait (like how American means a person from America/Martian means something from Mars). It is not a coincidence that the monstrous giant ape King Kong was portrayed as a gorilla. 8. Orangutans and gorillas will attack when threatened and their tremendous strength makes them dangerous. The result has been the loss of some 80 percent of the orangutans’ habitat in just the last two decades. Also, if a full fledged male dies, the lower males will compete to become the new alpha male, and whoever wins undergoes physical changes and becomes a full fledged male. Share via. A 2014 study of human-animal relationships in zoos documented only a handful of cases of gorilla aggression. Birute Galdikas, a long-time leading researcher on orangutans (kinda like the Jane Goodall or Diane Fossey of orangutans), recounts in her book Reflections of Eden: My Years with the Orangutans of Borneo a time when a large male wandered into their rehabilitation camp and started raping one of the human employees.