"I think the flavor is great and I like this one because I can find it at most grocery stores for a reasonable price," says Pankonin. You can see that the sodium for regular cottage cheese ranges from 340-480 milligrams while the less sodium/no salt added products ranged from 55-320 milligrams. ", "This is another cottage cheese with a lengthy ingredient list. ", "Even though it's lower in fat and higher in protein compared to similar products, it does contain 450 mg of sodium, which is a little higher than I would recommend," says Pankonin. *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. ", © 2020 Galvanized Media. sodium but high on protein and creamy taste. We asked three registered dietitians to narrow down the 5 best cottage cheese brands (and ones you should avoid). From a … "It's a little higher in sodium compared to the others and personally, I prefer a little more fat as I find that more satisfying while snacking. "Finding the right cottage cheese can be difficult. NATURAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN GUM, LOCUST BEAN GUM, GUAR GUM, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, Add Breakstone's Small Curd Low Sodium Cottage Cheese to your meal and delight your taste buds. NATURAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN GUM, LOCUST BEAN GUM, GUAR GUM, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, Organic Valley Lowfat Cottage Cheese 2 Percent Milkfat Per ½ cup serving: 100 calories, 2 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 4 g carbs (3 g sugar), 15 g protein SORBIC ACID AND CARBON DIOXIDE (TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS). that’s perfect as a protein-rich snack or side. Notably the products specifically labeled “no salt added” had sodium ranging from 55-75 milligrams. "It's super versatile. "Breakstone's ingredient list is much longer than those listed above and contains ingredients that seem unnecessary (although harmless) to make a good tasting cottage cheese," says Martin. "Just as with picking Greek yogurt, I look for cottage cheeses that have no added sugar, which is usually in the flavored varieties.". While cottage cheese contains less sodium in comparison to many other dairy foods, the sodium in cottage cheese is still very high. Cottage cheese is not a low sodium food by any means. We strive to only recommend products that adhere to our philosophy of eating better while still enjoying what you eat. Ultimately, it comes to your preference in taste and ingredients. ", "Even though this low-fat cottage cheese is low in calories, I just don't find it very satisfying," says Pankonin. Note that the comparison is for a 1-ounce serving size for all products. Hood® Low Sodium Cottage Cheese has rich, creamy and delicious flavor that's not only packed with protein, but also low in sodium. ", "It's made with minimal ingredients, free of artificial ones, and is free of pectins, gelatins or thickeners (which aren't known to cause harm but may be problematic for some individuals)," says Martin. This ingredient list also includes carrageenan, which is very controversial," says Martin. EatThis.com is part of the AllRecipes Food Group. "Carrageenan is added to some food products as a thickener and emulsifier. [the_ad id=”3667″] Regular (Not Labeled Low Sodium) Cottage Cheese lower your sodium intake? Some evidence suggests carrageenan triggers inflammation and digestive issues; however, we have limited research on this. can add cottage cheese to your diet. Let’s take a look at a comparison of sodium in a selection dairy products. From toppings to dips to a key Enjoy this low sodium flavor, morning, noon or night as a protein-rich, satisfying addition to your lifestyle. I believe it comes down to personal preference and what your health goals are," says Amber Pankonin MS, RD, LMNT, registered dietitian and owner of Stirlist. INGREDIENTS: CULTURED Some brands may even contain probiotics, aka friendly gut bacteria that support gut health.