But, I always mention this to travelers when I run across good content, check out Steemit.com. Sayulita has great beaches for what you’re after. The past 15 years I have been going back and forth to Puerto Vallarta, they have a love of life that US citizens don’t. Taxis are going to run you a fair bit more. Ah, good question! Both of those were included in my rent. So, the apartment was 4,500 pesos per month ( $375 at the time) which is on the high-end for a studio in my town but the price included all utilities and really strong internet, which is essential for my online work. San Pancho: Tiny, one main road, a handful of options for restaurants.

Are there any apartments with pools in Sayulita or San Pancho that are also close to the beach?

For your little ones, I would recommend that you use the disinfectant at least for the first few months and watch your consumption of tap water.

Shannon, thanks for the very detailed information. I know that many say it’s safe to fly in and out, but the surrounding instability make is so I wouldn’t feel securing knowing I had a base that I could return to year in and year out. There are large communities of expats all throughout Mexico, and in a handful of key towns in Thailand. So, with that in mind, this post below outlines my my expat stints across Mexico—from a tiny beach town on the Pacific coast to the food capital of Oaxaca. Shannon, love your writings. This video shares the costs, style of living, quality of life, and other details about living as an expat in Mexico, with a tour of my studio in a trendy beach town north of Puerto Vallarta: This entire post outlines the baseline costs—my fixed monthly expenses for one person living in a beach town on the west coast of Mexico.

You may be able to spend half that much if you live back in the neighborhood a short distance. We also have ceiling fans. First off, Mexico is a big country. I’m sure by now you have noticed a trend of coastal resort towns on this list, but Playa del Carmen is one of the most notable. Hope that helps generate some ideas! Being so close to the U.S. is really a big benefit, especially on the healthcare front. 2.

I share a heap of Mexico resources at the end. 1. Airport to SP: Cheapest is the bus, by far. These all come recommended, and if you plan to move to the area they are a good base. I would fit right in working in a tourist-type facility, which would be ideal. Thank you. Thanks for this. Locals though are obsessed with turning out lights and lowering the electric bill.

I’m just curious what that $4000CSD goes towards without prying into your personal life. For my full review policy click here. When we need milk etc. I wish I had some better recommendations for you, but I don’t the country as well as some other expats. I pay about 5000 per month.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/mexico-expat-forum-expats-living-mexico/, https://www.facebook.com/groups/167187996679894/. Sayulita was perfect to have nearby if I needed to vary up my food, explore a bit, or just get out of town for a few hours. San Pancho has a truly great vibe if you like small towns.

San Pancho and Sayulita are more well known, but just south of them are even tinier surfing towns where I know friends have enjoyed months near the water. – They are both very popular expat spots. I especially like Yelapa, because it is a very beautify bay within a larger protective bay (Banderas Bay). Best regards. Sayulita might be a much better fit—it will have its own happenings, and it’s still a chill town but it’s 20 minutes closer to Puerto Vallarta where you could surely go if you craved a bit more activity occasionally!

Or do you just bank of the Part A? Morelia is at the center of the music scene in Mexico. Add to that some game nights at Victoria and Steve’s for Jungle Speed (had never heard of this game but it was fun and hilarious to play in a group), beach bonfires, and conversation … I felt like Goldilocks—San Pancho was just right. places overseas with a lower cost of living, Average Cost of Living Across Mexico: $600 – $2,000, Cost of a Month of Living in San Pancho, Mexico, Relevant Links & Resources for Moving to Mexico, I’ve honestly discussed the question of safety and danger in travel, Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America, A Little Photoessay… Slice of Life Snapshots of Mexico, A Little Confession… Yes, Sometimes Travel is Lonely, https://kathleeniscookinginmexico.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/how-to-clean-and-disinfect-fruits-and-vegetables-in-mexico/, And dig through the two solid Mexico expat forums. Clearly the financials are interesting.

Hi Shannon, thanks so much for writing back. Our perceptions and reality of the world are often skewed; that is true of Mexico. In response to numerous emails asking about the differences between the handful of towns north of Puerto Vallarta, here’s Cliff’s Notes summary of the differences in case you’re sussing out which is better for you. Thanks so much for all the great info! I worked a lot so my bike took me most anywhere I wanted to go. There are some very conservative areas of Mexico though, so I would not extend whatever you find out to apply across the board. Any idea how the schooling would work? Years later, I am still on this journey—sometimes with my niece in tow—traveling slowly, and sharing stories and advice from life on the road. :). Other: For work and living, it really will be so much easier on the ground. I loved the family compound I lived within (they had a separate house with three rental apartments within their lot) and it’s one of the things I value living solo … I like having other people nearby who have my well-being in mind in case something happens. I have visited there a few times, and I love it, despite some of the negative parts of the city, and state of Guerrero. Ajijic may not be the first place that comes to mind when you think about retiring abroad, but it certainly deserves the top spot on this list. My food budget was pretty generous, so if you cook at home, even adding the cost of cooking meat, I think you could get by on 1,000 pesos each week. I’m planning on retiring in Mexico early the year after next. Retirement Age Debate: Full Benefits or Early Retirement? Do you also have some IMSS or SP in Mexico? Here are the top five safest places to live in Mexico as an expat, retiree, nomad or international citizen. Overall, Playa del Carmen is a luxurious and social city with lots of potential for retirees. Oaxaca: I lived here for six months and found it is one of the most affordable expat cities in Mexico. In San Miguel, you can make yourself at home with cobblestone streets and Spanish colonial homes. It is easy to find lodging for less than $100 per night. More of a nightlife than San Pancho (a later nightlife I should say). HI Shannon, First of all, i love you’re blog/website! What do you thing, Shannon?

This popular Riviera Maya destination is one of the most visited beaches in Mexico. The longest I have stayed is 10 days, so thanks for your tips! More and more Americans are retiring in Mexico. I would suggest asking this question in the Facebook and forums I mentioned in the post — these expats will be an invaluable source of help in finding a new spot with those qualities.

The water in many places isn’t clean, and the way they treat produce is also very, very different from back home. Initially I did have plans to basically start in Sayulita and then make my way to Mexico City. If you’re in Sayulita, my friends rented a nice place from Villas Vista Suites for three months— I would start there for online hunting. Cheers, ~S.

Guests can rent apartment-style cabanas or hotel rooms for as low as $70 per night. As the cultural center of Yucatán, Mérida features a wide range of museums, restaurants, shops and art galleries.

Thank you so much for your help. It is touristy but many food and drink options, expats, etc. But when I moved to Oaxaca, vendors and life all take place in Spanish, so it’s best to learn it. Keep in mind: Tourists or expats are treasured in Mexico and get excellent protection especially in the resorts – they don’t want bad publicity and they want tourists to enjoy their visits – some places a major part of the economy is tourism and they protect that business with some locations actually having special police to assist tourists – they are amazingly accommodating if you have any incident and will assist you if any vendor cheats you, too, so you should feel very comfortable in Mexico, but avoid any cities or towns with higher crime rates.

I stumbled upon your page while trying to research a few ways to get started & your page was very helpful but, I have a few questions unanswered. 3. climate

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For a tiny island life, Isla Holbox is one option, Isla Mujeres is nearby and bigger/more touristy if you want more development.

My daughter (33, ESL teacher) and I (67, retired USA prof) are thinking about residing in Mexico. How are beaches in Sayulita for swiimming? I have to breathe the sea air and do a lot of swim. One could take busses, but I prefer a taxi. Your blog is FANTASTIC ! I’m not really looking into beach towns, but I am looking into a move to Mexico and have checked out Guanajuato, SMA, Dolores Hidalgo, and Zacatecas. So, when you’re ready to return, there is surely going to be an affordable quiet life still there and waiting. we go to Oxxo which is like a 711. Thank you for your insight and always the best to you, Shannon!

Hi Diane! It will be my first time solo, so I am scared to start but I need to break the ice.

Cabo is perfect for anyone looking to soak up the sun while enjoying a bustling nightlife. 4. Its one i simply cannot find a concrete answer to. If you’re not ready to move abroad for your retirement, consider the best places to retire in the U.S., such as California, Arizona, Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia and more.

house rent, food, transportation and entertainment) as compared to other states in USA. I tend to rent furnished apartments, and I think it’s less often included in houses and non-furnished places. Because I would have to fly into PV, then take a bus up to Sayulita….then when I want to leave for Mexico City I will have a 10 – 12 hour bus ride.I just figured I would run into just as nice beaches down in Oaxaca. You can also talk with local expats and ask around.

Located on Mexico’s Pacific Coast, Troncones is a small fishing village located on one of the last few remaining stretches of sand unspoiled from high-rise hotels. I will be taking an early retirement package in the next few months and plan on moving to a beach destination in Mexico for retirement. Expats, retirees, and digital nomads often love living in Mexico because of proximity to the U.S.—all of the country’s bigger cities offer direct flights to the States, and their affordable too! We have considered the Yucatán as a possible next stop. The Best Beach Towns in Texas Houston Beaches 1. That sounds like a great spot.

This is the story of a Florida girl (that's me!) I am often emailed a question that’s roughly this: Why are Mexicans fleeing to the U.S. if expats want to live there? We would absolutely have to have it! I am lost on the Web (too many web sites) . Finding Accommodation: I recommend arriving in San Pancho before trying to find a place to stay, otherwise you will only find vacation rentals listed.