This wiki has been updated 11 times since it was first published in August of 2019. The TrendNet we highlighted offers 8 configurable 10-gigabit ports, so while it is very expensive for such a small unit, you can be certain that its bandwidth ceiling will never get in the way -- though you'll need some high-speed hardware for all the attached devices to take advantage of such high throughput. It spreads that bandwidth across 12 Ethernet jacks as needed and offers IP Base services with the optional right-to-use license. Updated Layer 3 and about as advanced as it gets. If you're willing to buy used, don't forget to look at the Cisco Catalyst series -- lots of features there to learn and play with.

I don't have any great ideas for a cheap switch, because everything I'm running at home is unmanaged. Cisco, of course, is one of the most famous names in LAN hardware, and for good reason; their stuff is usually pretty expensive, but it's basically the standard in many parts of the industry. I think the latest I read was that they felt they had about 90% of switch features emulated.

Not much good for learning.You can always use something like GNS3 with cisco firmware images to emulate routers and switches for lab work.

It utilizes helpful features such as IGMP snooping, quality of service optimization, and effective port mirroring. Most people with an ambitious home lab or small office LAN to administer will be satisfied by the Mikrotik CRS125 (around $180). On the (relatively) more expensive side, I found the Dell Networking x1018, which is about $100 more expensive. One of the most popular top-level routers, the Cisco SG350-10P (around $200) provides 10 ports, two of which allow fiber connections. In addition to its 62-watt power over Ethernet output capacity, it can also be run using two PoE uplinks, rather than a DC transformer. Why would I choose a Layer 3 switch and what/how would I use it is the topic of this blog post. In this part, I discuss how to build an ESXi environment using PC and ESXi 6.7 U1. You'll only get a couple gigabit ports for that price but for a lab where you want to learn about configuring switches, speed isn't super important. For more information on our rankings, please read about us, linked below.

If you can locate a copy of Cisco's PacketTracer, it's outstanding and highly recommended (only available for Cisco Academy Students, but can be found in the wild, along with tons of free labs...). The L3 routing functionality might be worth it. I love esxi, but if you want anything more than the free version it gets expensive fast.

The basic topics that originally started me down this path are VLANs and link aggregation, but I realize that there's a lot more interesting stuff that I've never been exposed to before, so it's time to play.On the cheaper side, I think I've settled on the TP-LINK TL-SG3216. Building PCs, remodeling, and cooking since he was young, quasi-renowned trumpeter Christopher Thomas traveled the USA performing at and organizing shows from an early age. They offer a wide range of features and abilities, including static and dynamic routing, DHCP IP address assignment, and OSFP capability. Unless you live alone and don't mind breaking your internet connection occasionally, you always want to separate "lab" from "crap you care about" whenever possible. Newer generation ones are soooo much better.

When I made the post I was looking at this guy, TP-LINK TL-SG2216 16-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with 2 Combo SFP Slots, 802.1Q VLAN, L2/L3/L4 QoS, IGMP Snooping, Port Security, Storm Control, Web-based Management, I just received a "little brother" to this one; the TL-SG1016DE (no SFP slots), TP-LINK TL-SG2216 16-Port Gig Smart Switch.

Hi all,I'm looking at getting a managed switch for my home lab. Popular in commercial setups as an edge-level switch, the Extreme Networks Summit X460 (about $2295) is designed to aggregate multiple connections and pass them on to the central architecture.

One common switch that can easily be found on eBay (as of this writing) is the WS-C2960-24TT-L 2960 model switch. Is there another switch that I should consider, with the restriction that it must be fanless? I’ve divided this topic into 2 parts as I am unsure whether you guys like long-reads. The models below are best suited in a home network … They go for as little as $40 on ebay.

When users buy our independently chosen editorial Ad Choices, Tribus: entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem. Each of its 24 gigabit-class connections is fully managed, allowing for extensive security customization and performance optimization.

help fund the Wiki.

Consisting of 8 RJ45 sockets with 10GBase-T functionality, the TrendNet EdgeSmart TEG-7080ES (about $540) delivers considerably more bandwidth per connection than most.

we may earn commissions to which will be the same as any direct visitor to the merchant’s website. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies.

Most people with an ambitious home lab or small office LAN to administer will be satisfied by the Mikrotik CRS125 (around $180).