A review on Thursday about the Batsheva dance company’s performance of “Naharin’s Virus” misstated, in one instance, the name of the play by Peter Handke that is adapted in the performance. He taught for two decades as a professor at the University of Southern California’s Thornton School of Music, retiring in 2015, and co-wrote a widely used textbook, William Russell Watrous III was born on June 8, 1939 in Middletown, Conn. His father, William Jr., was also a trombonist, introducing his son to the instrument early on. How To Know If Someone Is Thinking About You Sexually, Who Is The Girl In The Homelight Commercial, Zebra Finch Losing Feathers On Back Of Neck. He turned every rehearsal into a storytelling session, and every gig into a party. The death of Bill Watrous, however, has returned me to the blog. He is perhaps best known by casual fans of jazz music for his rendition of Sammy Nestico's arrangement of the Johnny Mandel ballad "A Time for Love" which he recorded on a 1993 album of the same name. Trombonist Bill Watrous has just died. Bill Watrous, a jazz trombonist acclaimed for his clear, round tone and boundless virtuosity on his instrument, died on Tuesday, July 3, in Los Angeles after a short illness.

Bill Watrous at Dick Gibson’s 1985 Colorado Jazz Party.

Bill was not only a great trombonist — he was a supremely silly person. Copy and paste this link into your browser: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAs4ozKxI7GVTWsV789yMgw. To contact the newsroom regarding correction requests, complaints or other comments about our coverage, please email [email protected] or call 1-844-NYT-NEWS (1-844-698-6397). You could also do it yourself at any point in time. Bill Watrous at Bach Dancing & Dynamite Society, Half Moon Bay CA 7/23/89. Wendell Brunious.

@tvsteve: Bill Watrous, Trombonist and Bandleader, Is Dead at 79 - The New York Times - 2 years ago @a100radio : Bill Watrous , Trombonist and Bandleader, Is Dead at 79 - 2 years ago @jazz4mula : My fellow drive Doug Ramsey features a wonderful video of the late great Bill Watrous playing a … Errors are corrected during the press run whenever possible, so some errors noted here may not have appeared in all editions. He tried his hand at the instrument himself and was playing in Dixieland bands while he was still in high school. Today’s New York Times (7-12-18) has an extensive column about him and, no doubt, the jazz journals will also. Watrous' father, also a trombonist, introduced him to the instrument at an early age. To install click the Add extension button. and thank you for our friendship. William Russell “Bill” Watrous, long considered the best trombone player of the late 20th century, passed on this evening in a hospital in Los Angeles. A self-described "bop-oriented" player, he was well known among fellow trombonists as a master technician and for his mellifluous sound.

He is perhaps best known by casual fans of jazz music for his rendition of Sammy Nestico's arrangement of the Johnny Mandel ballad "A Time for Love" which he recorded on a 1993 album of the same name. Everybody who knew Bill had oodles of stories about him and he had a bunch of his own. He is perhaps best known by casual fans of jazz music for his rendition of Sammy Nestico's arrangement of the Johnny Mandel ballad "A Time for Love," which he recorded on a 1993 album of the same name. My heart just sank.

Ivan Moody Engaged, Addressing the COVID-19 pandemic, economic well-being, and health care were top priorities during the November election.... Sign the petition to U.S. governors and state election officials: You must continue to count EVERY vote. After a few years in New York, he moved to Los Angeles to take advantage of the opportunities in the recording studios where he worked with everybody. His first professional performances were in Billy Butterfield's band.[1].

It also misstated the surname of the co-author of Mr. Watrous’s book “Trombonisms.” He is Alan Raph, not Ralph. Biden is now the President-elect, yet Trump refuses to recognize this election as legitimate. stories, while treating the music as if he was in an L.A. recording studio. Daily Kos moves in solidarity with the Black community. She is Zheng Qinwen, not Zhang. All my spare time has been I first met Bill when he did a clinic and concert at the Navy School when I was a student there, and I got to work with him a few times after I left the service, the last time about 9 years ago. I hope this is my last diary for a while. It is Saint-Lazare, not Saint-Hazard. He is perhaps best known by casual fans of jazz music for his rendition of Sammy Nestico's arrangement of the Johnny Mandel ballad "A Time for Love" which he recorded on a 1993 album of the same name.

Many of our interviews can be seen there in their entirety. "Bill Watrous, Trombonist and Bandleader, Is Dead at 79". It is July 19, not July 17. A theater entry in the Listings pages on Friday about the play “Gettin’ the Band Back Together” misstated the date previews of the play will begin. William Russell Watrous III (June 8, 1939 – July 2, 2018) was an American jazz trombonist.

In 1971, he played with the jazz fusion group Ten Wheel Drive. From the left: Wendell Brunious, Dennis Mackrel, Jerome Richardson, Keter Betts, Monk Rowe, Bill Watrous, Rick Montalbano, Readers may Voters decided: Joe Biden will be the next President of the United States! Character Profile Template Doc, Justice League Animated Series Download, While serving in the U.S. Navy, Watrous studied with jazz pianist and composer Herbie Nichols.

Vontae Mack No Matter What Meme,

The provision gives sellers 90 days to identify and pay royalties to artists, not the California Arts Council. It was pancreatic cancer, not prostate cancer. Every trombonist in the world is in mourning right now. Variations Of Hangman Game, crossed again at jazz conventions, and over the years we exchanged phone calls My wife, Romy Britell, is an authorized blogger here, and she actively collaborates on postings.

Bill Watrous, whose crisp and graceful playing made him one of the world’s most respected trombonists, died on July 2 at a hospital in Los Angeles. He has recorded as a solo artist, bandleader, and in small ensembles. jackets, and his poignant observations on current events. My Uncle Sandy was one of his teachers at the Navy School of music in 1957, and was one of only a small handful of people I heard Bill talk about in a positive way from his time in the service.