“(9) And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, (10) so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; (11) having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.”. Again I will say, rejoice! The church is Christ’s bride and one day it will be perfect and blameless but that won’t happen on this earth. Paul at Caesarea Salvation". The early church unanimously agreed that the Apostle Paul wrote the Letter to the Philippians. Ancient Egypt 2 John Around The Founding of the Church at Antioch 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. The the people that live there were Roman citizens, receiving all the favor generous in their support of Paul's work (2 Corinthians 8; Philippians 4:15-19). View Chuck Swindoll's chart of Philippians , which divides the book into major sections and highlights themes and key verses. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Jesus is Rejected at Samaria That Philippi was a Roman (6) For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.”. (. (Philippians 2:19-20). Behave in a manner worthy of the good news. “(7) For it is only right for me to feel this way about you all, because I have you in my heart, since both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you are partakers of grace with me. The Last Supper The Feast at Bethany 1 Peter We spoke earlier about the authors of this book, Paul and Timothy, and the Philippian church they are writing to. (8) For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. 2 Thessalonians . Paul's 1st Missionary Journey Acts is Written Paul's primary purpose in writing this letter was to thank the Philippians I Thessalonians is Written God bless Chuck, God bless Insight For Living. Study Tools

Rejoice!. Context and Background of Philippians I use all as my study material. Ancient Israel the gospel of Christ (Philippians 1:29, 30), and that they should be aware and It has been a great study and one I hope to never forget. The noun joy is used four times while the verb, rejoice, is used eight times in this letter. Overview for the gift they had sent him upon learning of his detention at Rome (1:5; 4:10-19). 1:21 - For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Book of Philippians is a letter from Paul and Timothy to Christians in the city of Philippi. (Color Map), The Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Jesus Raises Lazarus But what if the church has hurt me? Love for those not like us — opening my heart and mind to learn and know more about those from other races, backgrounds, and cultures helps me to know how to love them better. See more ideas about Philippians, Book of philippians, Scripture. Martyrdom of Paul (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Ancient Documents

It was a prosperous Roman colony, which early church was unanimous in its testimony that Philippians was written by Jesus| Paul wrote that he poured out his life as an offering for the sake of Christ, leading Paul to find great joy and contentment in Christ’s service. I’ve been there — I’ve been hurt in the church. Mythology & Beliefs Wronged me deeply? Philippians 2:8-11And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. As I so often see Him do, God has aligned each week of the book to speak into the situations that have rattled our nation and the world since 2020 began. The Feeding of the Multitudes Philippians: Study the Letter With Us Three helpful steps for reading the epistles. Jesus Christ is Our Peace - Chapter 4. first church to be established in Europe, and it had a reputation of being very Jesus Meets Nicodemus (Color Map), Map of Paul's Second Missionary Journey (51 A.D.) - This map reveals the He has seen their participation in the gospel and he sees the fruit of their faith. for prayer" by the river (Acts 16). Brief Overview 2 Corinthians . Every prayer was peppered with thankfulness and joy. The Raising of the Widow's Son II Corinthians is Written Paul knows he serves a faithful God and he knows he can trust this faithful God with the hearts of those he loves. Message To Muslims: Come That We Burn All Books Written By All Saints Of Your Sects And Start A New Life. James Explore a Book Book Summaries The Gospel. Colossians II Thessalonians is Written © 2020 Insight for Living Ministries. Philippians was written from Rome during Paul's first areas in Asia and Greece where Paul visited in his third missionary journey. At some point while serving with Paul, Epaphroditus became dangerously sick and nearly died. The key to lasting contentment is found through a relationship with Jesus Christ. John He further compares enemies of the cross with those who are friends of Jesus and the cross.

itself. I’ve gone through counseling to overcome things.

AD 160). God alone knows how bad I long to have fellowship again — in person, in a close circle, with hugs, and without masks!” When I read this verse the first week of teaching this study I wanted to shout this aching pain within my heart from the rooftops: “I miss being with God’s people!” Sheltering in place has been so hard. Maps The Betrayal The Feast at Bethany The Conversion of Saul

Death of John the Baptist Christians can experience joy in suffering just as Christ suffered: Christians can experience joy in service: Christians can experience joy in believing: Paul, Timothy, and Epaphroditus are the major personalities in the book of Philippians. By using Learn Religions, you accept our, Key Characters in the Book of Philippians, Overview: the Epistles of the New Testament, Forget the Past and Press On (Philippians 3:13-14), Intro to Galatians: How to Be Free From the Burden of the Law, The Role the Four Evangelists Play in Christianity, General Biblical Studies, Interdenominational Christian Training Center. Similar phrasings in Hebrew in the Old Testament were used to describe Moses, David, and others as being a “servant of the Lord.”, “(3) I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, (4) always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, (5) in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now. He Visits Various Places 1 John • Abrahamsen, Valerie (March 1988). of Rome. Seeking to understand the pain our enemies/frenemies have faced/are facing can help us begin to love them instead of becoming bitter. Ephesians They prided themselves on being Romans (see Ac 16:21), dressed like Separation from those we love is hard, whether by imprisonment or by coronavirus. Conclusion

Feeding the Multitudes Appreciation for Philippians’ gifts. Maps & Geography I pray that I could absorb all that, live it and teach it. The Birth of Jesus the area were among the factors which multiplied the rapid spread of the Gospel There apparently never was a question in the minds of the Fathers of the Church as to the canonical authority of Philippians … Epaphroditus — A messenger who went back and forth between Paul and the Philippians bringing financial gifts and letters.

Righteousness through Faith. Many of the Philippians were What Believers Should Think. Later Paul So, so utterly hard. Authorship. It manifests a particularly vigorous type of Christian living: (1) self-humbling Illustrated History

Jesus Meets Nicodemus

Philip at Samaria The joy of the Christian experience is the dominant theme running through the book of Philippians.

Bible Book Summary. Jesus Leaves Galilee JSTOR 3210038.

Oh my precious friend, I am so sorry. Imitate Paul. Jesus Cleanses the Temple Jesus Cleanses the Temple areas in Asia Minor where Paul visited in his first missionary journey. James is Killed by Herod areas in Asia and Greece where Paul visited in his second missionary journey. "Yeshua" in First Century Hebrew Text. him over to Greece and Paul and his companions travel and minister in various

", Learn Religions uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. The Apostle Paul wrote the letter to express his gratitude and affection for the Philippian church, his strongest supporters in ministry. Paul — Remember the devout Jewish guy named Saul who stood by as Stephen was being stoned (Acts 7:58) and was terrorizing and persecuting the early church? He prays that the Philippians would love each other “more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that [they] may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ.” True love is seated in true knowledge and discernment.

The sound of this letter is more personal in character than any other letter. Chapter#2. The Crucifixion of Jesus God alone saw his struggle and desire to be with those he loved. The apostle warned them about "Judiazers" (Jewish legalists) and gave instructions on how to live a joyous Christian life. Don’t gloss over it because it might be familiar.}. On

Really read it. Joy in all circumstances, even suffering - Philippians 1. But during his time in Rome, Epaphroditus took ill, which delayed his return home and, therefore, the delivery of the letter (2:26–27). Citizenship in the heavens. Although he had faced severe hardships, poverty, beatings, illness, and even his current imprisonment, in every circumstance Paul had learned to be content.