Dua Lipa is a thoroughly modern pop star with progressive views to match. Jonas Blue feat. She said her daughter had complained she was the ugliest girl she knew. This French-born, U.K.-raised MC only needed £50 to make the jubilant DIY video for his laid back party-starter “Party Here.” Now he’s signed to Black Butter, we can only imagine what he’ll do with more. The big winners were Stormzy and Dua Lipa.

It’s openly, screamingly gay, and yet artsy and restrained.

Childish Gambino William Singe – ‘Mama’

Rag’n’Bone Man won Best British Single for ‘Human’.

Dua Lipa, meanwhile, took home Female Solo Artist and British Breakthrough Act.

Here at The FADER, we wanted to shine a spotlight on some of the even fresher, under-the-radar names who deserve your love. Check out her releases so far on NUXXE, the label she runs with Sega Bodega. “We also got a photo with Jess on stage and the 6,000 people are behind us”. Your personal histories of injustice and discrimination at home, school, work, and church have inspired us to use our public status to speak out about the struggles of the LGBTQ community.”.

Photos by Elizabeth Gabrielle Lee; Joyce NG; Nhu Xuan Hua, 15 U.K. artists you need to listen to in 2018. Arcade Fire Raye – ‘You Don’t Know Me’ Their 2018 debut album will win them a whole lot more. "You guys have made all my dreams come true" – @dualipa#DuaLipaBRITs collects the award for British Breakthrough at The #BRITs 2018 and brings her siblings on stage, Watch The #BRITs 2018 LIVE here: https://t.co/YP6iG713ES pic.twitter.com/trt3m483fE. His queer-tastic new video to certified pop banger ‘My My My’ amassed 10m views in one week, and there’s a reason why. Liam Payne feat. Here are the artists we discovered and loved this year, and whose 2018 projects we are dying to get our hands on. Kind of Alone is a five-track fuzzy masterpiece with melodic guitar riffs and grungy, gravelly lead vocals from frontman Jamie Batten. They’re in their true element when they play live, particularly frontman Luke Reilly, who’s one of the finest crowd-surfers you’ll ever see. Pharrell, Katy Perry and Big Sean – ‘Feels’ It was the 38th edition of the British Phonographic Industry's annual pop music awards. Honey Lung might be young and lacking an extensive back catalogue, but their records contain some of the best guitar work and songwriting in recent memory. From Starcrawler, to Rex Orange County and Sigrid. Here’s to more women on these stages, winning these awards and taking over the world.”. Dua Lipa picked up her second award of the night in the form of British Breakthrough Act. © 2020 NME is a member of the media division of BandLab Technologies. “In short, till recently, there was no way for a major pop artist to be openly gay and actively physical,” said culture bible Vulture… that’s all changed now. DJ Khaled, Foo Fighters (WINNER)

Expect sharp-angled, ice-cold electronics from this French singer/producer based in London. Ed Sheeran – ‘÷’.

As the saying goes, America invented rock ‘n’ roll and Britain perfected it. Elton John is a fan of the LA four-piece, who are gaining a reputation for their frenzied punk rock shenanigans on stage. The band got signed a few years ago when they were just teenagers, and after hearing their stop-start, blues-rock stomper, “Hung Around,” there’s no question their label made the right call. Lorde won International Female Solo Artist and sent a video message. Inspired to launch a charity by their fans, the pair said: “Our journey navigating sexism and homophobia in the music industry has always been interwoven with the stories you share with us. LCD Soundsystem Dua Lipa (WINNER), Calvin Harris feat. Loyle Carner Being drawn to the vintage grading of the video, we were expecting to hear an upbeat disco track of sorts. If this were 2004, they’d be gracing the cover of every rock zine. He thanked “everyone back in Brighton” and “everyone who has had my back over the years”. After two guest slots on Tyler the Creator’s album Flower Boy, he’s also played live with Frank Ocean and Skepta. Every decade or so, a wave of young bands comes charging out of the soggy, overcast United Kingdom and ricochets around the globe with sneering abandon, recalibrating how we listen to rock music and charting a course for the next 10 years. Liam Payne feat. All Rights Reserved. The BRIT Awards 2018 took place this evening, with Stormzy and Dua Lipa taking home big awards on the night – scroll below to see the full winners list.

The bands we’re highlighting here are eclectic and can’t be described with a handy blanket term like Britpop or new wave, and that’s a good thing. Royal Blood Heard we’re lighting up a stage in Berlin this Friday with some cold dons #TSE 24/11 | @stefon.grant, A post shared by FLOHIO (@flohio_) on Nov 21, 2017 at 5:06am PST. The U.K. music scene is in rude health when it comes to new artists. Dua Lipa (WINNER) Later in the year, she unelaashed Honey, a gorgeous acoustic track featuring the lyric: “I like my girls just like I like my honey – sweet, a little selfish”. Plenty of bands over the past few years have achieved success on foreign shores, including Wolf Alice, alt-J, Royal Blood, The xx, Glass Animals. Little Mix presented the British Male Solo Artist award to Stormzy, who said: “Thank God, that’s the reason why I’m here to do what I do”.

All the mistakes you shouldn't make on holiday, Why Manchester United need to be at their best to beat Sevilla. Hailing from northern Scottish town of John o’ Groats, Neon Waltz deftly infuses their music with the atmospheric beauty of the Scottish coastline. Sweating bodies do everything but collide with one another in a clip that confirms Troye as a musician to be reckoned with. Laura Marling Sampha, Anne-Marie – ‘Ciao Adios’ The most experimental band of this bunch is South London six-piece HMLTD. 2018 sees him support Bruno Mars at British Summer Time, Hyde Park, 14 July. Quavo – ‘Strip That Down’ Stormzy won British Male Solo Artist and Best British Album, as well as delivering a triumphant closing performance. "Girl, I didn’t know you could get down like that!" That’s Your Lot is a triumphant mix of delicate ballads (“Swans”), indie-pop bangers (“Orthodox Man”), upbeat, funky guitar tracks (“Lonely Side”) and earth-shattering, climactic rock (“I Will Be the World”). The garage-rock revival led by the likes of Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys and The Libertines may be long gone, but this young band from Dublin—yes, as a reader rightly pointed out, they’re Irish and not British, but we’re including them for proximity’s sake—doesn’t seem the slightest bit concerned. In alphabetical order. Liam Gallagher During his acceptance speech, he said he put “everything” into the record, adding: “I didn’t have anything after.”. They haven’t released an album yet, but tracks like “To the Door” and “Satan, Luella & I” made several best-of lists last year. The singer and producer, released her acclaimed 3.33am EP earlier this year, it's just the start for the talented star.Follow us on Vero for exclusive music content and commentary, all the latest music lifestyle news and insider access into the GQ world, from behind-the-scenes insight to recommendations from our editors and high-profile talent. Sorry are a rock band formed by childhood best friends Asha Lorenz and Louis O'Bryen. William Singe – ‘Mama’ By ... released in 2017, was certified platinum for sales over a million.

This London quartet also have their sights set on America, having announced their first North American shows in support of Pale Waves this March and April.

The U.K.'s 18-year-old answer to Frank Ocean. Although acceptance and equality is something the band has always advocated for, since Donald Trump became President they have been fierce in their support of LGBT+ rights. Their euphoric record is also full of charming, intelligent lyrics from frontman and co-producer Chris McCrory, no-frills guitar riffs, sharp drumming and some of the catchiest rock basslines you’ll hear. The quartet released their debut album, In Memory Of, last year via Modern Sky and it’s got “catchy guitar pop gems” written all over it. Kehlani is open about her fluid sexuality. Jonas Blue feat. Lorde (WINNER) Otherkin are a quartet that makes no-nonsense, two-to-three-minute garage rock/punk tracks born for rock radio. Or:La is an Irish producer based in Liverpool, who connects the dots between jungle, techno, and bass in breakbeat-heavy dancefloor-fillers that already feel classic, for Hotflush. This category is for LGBT+ community’s favourite music artists and looked for musicians who are either LGBT+, ... Disney star who fans call ‘Lesbian Jesus’, so it’s no surprise to see Hayley Kiyoko on the shortlist for the British LGBT awards. She’s a former Disney star who fans call ‘Lesbian Jesus’, so it’s no surprise to see Hayley Kiyoko on the shortlist for the British LGBT awards. And that means when he makes a statement, it echoes. Here's who you'll be listening to in 2018. International Male Solo Artist went to Kendrick Lamar, beating Drake and Beck. Björk Read their Gen F profile. Wolf Alice The sweetest voice in south London makes stoned-out jazzy songs that would sit perfectly on a playlist with Nilüfer Yanya and Jamie Isaac. Even more impressive is that, despite his southern Americana drawl, he's actually from Surrey. BRITs 2018 WINNERS List. Top 10 LGBT+ Music artists 2018. Quavo – ‘Strip That Down’

And while 2017 saw an impressive Glastonbury debut, 2018 is going to be even bigger. The "Don't Kill My Vibe" singer started a record label bidding war over her gutsy, Scandi pop hits. Songs like the Blur-y “L.U.V” and “Breakfast” will reverse any preconceived notion that guitar music these days is homogenous or predictable. Loyle Carner But it does.

Presented her first award by Stranger Things star Millie Bobby Brown and Kylie Minogue, Lipa said during her acceptance speech: “I want to thank every single female that has been on this stage before me and has given girls like me a place to be inspired by and [someone to] look up to and allow us to dream.

Stormzy and Dua Lipa were the big winners. Zara Larsson – ‘Symphony’ Listen to her recent Farewell 24 EP.

This summer at Panorama Festival, he won praise for wearing a T Shirt that read “Why be racist, sexist, homophobic or transphobic when you could just be quiet?” The shirt was designed by bisexual entrepreneur Kayla Robinson.

Harry Styles – ‘Sign Of The Times’ (WINNER) While “Sophomore” follows in a similar vein, “Stuttering Mind” marks calmer, new territory for the band, who have stated their desire to emulate the DIY lo-fi of acts like Sparklehorse, Elliot Smith and (Sandy) Alex G. One of Glasgow’s finest new guitar bands, Catholic Action already began their U.S. invasion at last year’s SXSW, and evidently it went well considering they’ve been invited back for this year’s festival. Little Mix – ‘Touch’ Here are 15 UK bands to watch out for.

Little Mix – ‘Touch’ Dua Lipa – ‘Dua Lipa’ “Drift” and “Sweet Dreams Baby” exemplify the band’s hazy, dreamy alt-rock, while “Treats” and “World on Fire” exemplify the youthful, punk spirit that 2018 desperately needs. Clean Bandit feat. Alongside Hardy Caprio, with whom he regularly collaborates, One Acen is among the Afro-trap artists reaping the benefits of J Hus’s breakout success in the U.K. His blend of party-starting energy and earworm melodies will appeal to anyone who has had Common Sense on repeat this year. At this year’s MTV VMAS, Pink accepted the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, the most prestigious gong handed out at the ceremony.

Dua Lipa – ‘New Rules’ The Guildford four-piece released their debut track “German Wings” last year and it’s one of the strongest debut singles in recent memory. Get this band to the states ASAP. This six-piece’s distinct sound comprises grand, echoing percussion; majestic, glistening keyboards; warm, harmonious lead vocals, and melodic guitars with entrancing tones that feel both familiar and original. The song’s soothing, psych-tinged vocals slowly hypnotize until the tension-building guitars commence and peak with a crunchy solo of epic proportions.