Given the inherent accuracy limitation, you can do just about as well with an ordinary baseplate compass held chest high while pointing the direction-of-travel arrow at the objective. Perfect for maintaining your bearings and preventing you from getting lost on wilderness hikes, camping trips or even military missions, these rugged and long-lasting lensatic compasses will steer you right every time while you're away from civilization. What kind of situations are those? Reviewed in the United States on June 4, 2020. No stamp, No pouch! Or you could use the mils scale and convert each and every azimuth (bearing) you take back into degrees for the benefit of your companions (all of whom will have degree scale compasses). If you're an avid outdoorsman, spend the little extra money for a strong steel compass that can be dropped, submerged in water, froze, resist dust and sand... you name it. Second The needle locks , yes the price is not cheap but you pay for what you get, this unit is very solid and also very accurate , I am very pleased with my purchase could not ask for a better compass . I would definitely recommend either one of these compasses to any one. For example, traditional lensatic compasses require you to look through a small lens to view the compass face and get your bearing. The compass itself is built with attention to detail and all parts on my example were well-fitted with no signs of manufacturing or assembly defects. Recommend the Sportneer multifunctional lensatic compass. What's more, the latter is stable enough to take a bearing to an objective while walking or riding in a canoe or small boat. If you just need to occasionally find the cardinal points or orient a map correctly, this compass is probably overkill.   With respect, I think crossbowme demonstrates (as per his review) a rather biased view of using a compass. Tritium Wrist Compass J582T Navigate Like Others Can't Navigate. Even the box it came in fell apart. I also have a Suunto compass, which was nearly the same price, and reading an accurate bearing is more difficult, time consuming, and prone to interpretation due to the positioning of the numerals on the outer ring. Since it is filled with ordinary air, the M-1950 can and does. Reviewed in the United States on May 3, 2015. Welcome to Trailspace, Bill. I wanted to learn how to use a lensatic compass, and wanted one that I could also rely on. He didn't notice it missing of course, but it shouldn't have been a big deal. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. No where near description!!!

Military Tritium Lensatic Compass at Amazon.com. So I asked for a Cammenga 3H (basic Army compass)for Christmas.

In summary, the M-1950 lensatic compass in 3H configuration as made by Cammenga is a special-purpose military compass that needs a redesign to compete as a general-purpose wilderness navigation compass.

NOT Military grade! Count on the Cammenga Tritium Wrist Compass day or night.

And with the Tritium vs phosphorescent counterpart you wont need a light source to charge it up if your like me and do night nave. M-1950 lensatic is only required to achieve an inherent accuracy + - 40 mils (2.25 degrees) from actual azimuth under milspec requirements. Phosphorus absorbs light and holds it as energy, which is why it's one of the chemicals used in the construction of solar panels. I like the compass, but I'm extremely dissatisfied with the Cammenga. Thanks for reading the fine print. If you're considering buying one of these from a surplus store, remember that tritium is radioactive and so it has a half-life that will slowly reduce its luminosity. The compass dial is in both mils and degrees, and as the military uses mils, the degree scale is given second place on the dial. Features. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. His primary focus is the metaphysics of time and the philosophy of mind, with a particular interest in artificial intelligence and antirepresentational models of the mind. Since it is filled with ordinary air, the M-1950 can and does fog over in cold weather or from moisture and humidity changes in tropical regions, since the interior is not purged with inert gas like your fogproof binoculars or rifle scope. For starters, the doctrine of western masculinity forbids it. It is extremely durable and accurate. But why bother, when other compasses have easy-to-read dials that can be read to 1 degree or less with ease? That's because the glowing elements in these compasses are either made from phosphorus or tritium. September 1, 2012. I'm a firm believer that everyone heading into the wilderness should have a good, strong compass. or review a different product, Benjamin Hirsch Most historians believe that Arabs in the Middle East introduced the compass to eastern Europe, and that it made its way west for there. For some reason...I'm the very first member to review this compass.   About 300 years after that, a rather well-known Italian explorer pointed his compass west from Spanish shores, and the rest is an eventful and bloody history. It also has no adjustable declination feature for relating all compass headings to true north. Stopping and asking for directions has its drawbacks, as well. The only issue I have with this compass is the olive-drab paint. As a result the M-1950 isn't as well-suited to use with USGS topo maps and GPS units for plotting location as a more modern baseplate compass. The funny thing is, the device wasn't first used for navigation at all. It's taken some abuse, some drops, being knocked around, etc. Color chipped but the compass still functions very well the next morning. If you're a purist, you'll want to reach for the original US-issue compass, but don't let that sense of purity cause you to write off other technologies. M-1950 lensatic is only required to achieve an inherent accuracy of + - 40 mils (2.25 degrees) from actual azimuth (milspec).

It's true that Cammenga's version of the M-1950 compass has a super-strong case and housing, and can't develop an air bubble since it's a dry card (induction dampening) design.

Incredible quality. This lines up with an index marker on the compass face. I'm not sure how it happened. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. You can edit your question or post anyway.

Spent the $70 to get a high quality compass, instead I got another made in China cheap piece of junk. The first of these, which sits at the top of the folded compass, is the sight wire. $19) has a water- and shake-proof design, so it will still perform reliably even after long days of hiking or if you ever find yourself caught in a rainstorm. Let's examine that. It has no romer scales, and only one 1:50,000 metric scale, which isn't much use for USGS 1:24,000 topos. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Cammenga 3H Tritium Military Compass at Amazon.com.