Remove and cool.Set the slices aside. Layer the bread, almonds, raisins and cheese in the dish, pour the syrup over, letting it soak into the bread for 5-10 minutes. And typically I will use Monterey jack cheese and some cotija or panela cheese.

That may seem odd for a dessert recipe, but it boosts the umami factor. 1. We had the best times! Depending on what ingredients I may have available, my recipe can vary from time to time. If you would like a more moist bread pudding, I would suggest doubling the syrup recipe. Remove the cinnamon stick and let the syrup cool. Remove from the oven, leave to stand for 5 minutes, then cut into squares. Place the sugar, cinnamon and water in a pan. [6], The ingredients are largely the same as those used during the 1640s to make breads and cakes. This is my interpretation of the capirotada that the ladies at La Poblana used to prepare. [citation needed] The bread represents the Body of Christ, the syrup is his blood, the cloves are the nails of the cross, and the whole cinnamon sticks are the wood of the cross. They had no idea the inspiration they were instilling in me for everything that is Mexican. Results 1 - 10 of 10 for capirotada cheddar cheese.

« Chile Lime Shrimp Pizza~ Easy and Fresh Pizza Dough, Mexican Foods For Lent - La Piña en la Cocina, https://pinaenlacocina.com/capirotadamexican-bread-pudding/, Piloncillo y Canela~Masa Para Empanadas(Empanada Dough), Fresh Corn Tamal with Cheese, Green Chile and Jalapeño, Chile Colorado Pork Tamales(Tamal de Puerco). It’s traditionally eaten during Lent as some say because the cheese provides extra protein to Lenten observers abstaining from meat on Fridays. This is my interpretation of the capirotada that the ladies at La Poblana used to prepare. 7oz/200 g soft dark brown sugar(or piloncillo, Fried Peppers with tomatoes eggs and cheese, How to unsubscribe from receiving Notifications, 4 bolillos, sliced, or 16 half-inch slices French bread dried out, 1 cup/ 115g grated Monterey Jack or mild Cheddar cheese. Apple Walnuts And Raisins Red Cabbage Salad ». Spread the butter onto both sides of each slice of bread and arrange on baking sheet. Serve warm or cold with heavy cream over and decorate it with some flaked almonds.

Heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.

These c

I used queso Oaxaca, but feel free to use the cheese of your choice.

I think it’s a fun finishing touch to the dish! Divine theme by Restored 316, Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch, Goya Piloncillo Panela, Brown Sugar Cane 8 Oz (Pack of 2), Organic Korintje Cinnamon Sticks - Perfect for Baking, Cooking & Beverages - 100+ Sticks - 2 3/4" Length - 100% Raw From Indonesia - by Feel Good Organics, Note: “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”. I was hired at La Poblana Tortilla Factory to work in the office. [2], Many capirotada recipes do not include any meat due to the dish's traditional association with Lent, though some do include meat as a layer.

Though nothing compares to real chocolate croissants, this shortcut variation is perfect when you're short on time, baking with kids, or simply want something much easier. Repeat another layer, bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cooking has always been one of my passions in life.

Makes a great breakfast the next day with milk poured over.

This basic recipe I share with you today has nuts, raisins, cheese and syrup prepared with piloncillo(cane sugar) syrup. Above there is a mix of berries, raisins and nuts.

Next day, preheat oven to 375º F. Generously grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter. Other iterations make use of cilantro, bay leaves, banana, or sprinkles. It is generally composed of toasted bolillo (which is like the French baguette) and soaked in a mulled syrup made of the following: whole cane sugar, which is known as piloncillo; clove; and cinnamon sticks. Mexican Bread Pudding Can Be a Meal In Itself! This is my journey and I can't wait to see what the future holds. The night before, slice the bolillos into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slices and let sit out overnight. Capirotada, like bread pudding, was seen as a way to make use of otherwise ruined, stale bread. Capirotada originated from a 15th century Spanish dish that was heavily influenced by Moorish cuisine.

1. Depending on what region of Mexico, the recipe has many variations.

It is one of the dishes served on Good Friday.

My parents Ramiro and Blanca Mendez moved to the United States from Monterrey, Mexico in 1963. We had the best times! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Set aside. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks and cloves from piloncillo syrup. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes without stirring, to reduce it. Tip: Try cheddar cheese for more results. I prefer to toast it in the oven so it holds up to all the syrup and ingredients that it will be baked with. [7] The basic ingredients carry a rich symbolism to the Passion of Christ, and the dish is considered by many Mexican and Mexican-American families as a reminder of the suffering of Christ on Good Friday. [7], Last edited on 4 September 2020, at 18:23, "Mexican Easter bread pudding with a long culinary lineage", "Chef shares history of capirotada during Lent Season", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Capirotada&oldid=976740430, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 4 September 2020, at 18:23. I am first generation Mexican American born in Los Angeles, California. Do not omit this step. Repeat the steps with the same layer of bread and the rest of the ingredients. It's best to have extra just in case there is more bread. Read More…, Get all the latest directly to your inbox.

That was my first real experience with eating a sweet, yet savory dish, that I never forgot! In post-conquest Mexico, indigenous peoples like the Aztecs used anise tea to soften stale bread and moisten dry meat, both of which were common problems on Spanish ships making the voyage across the Atlantic. I would like to dedicate this post to my two best friends from my childhood, Angelica and Julissa.

Lightly butter on both sides. This business was owned by my friend Julie’s parents.

Capirotada (Spanish pronunciation: [kapiɾoˈtaða]), also known as Capirotada de vigilia, is a traditional Mexican food similar to a bread pudding that is usually eaten during the Lenten period.

This recipe for capirotada was adapted from the capirotada that I enjoyed when I worked at La Poblano in Houston, Texas!

Hi, my name is Sonia Mendez Garcia.

They had a very busy lunch counter at “La Poblana” and they would only make capirotada at Easter time and Christmas. [2][3] The word "capirotada" comes from the Spanish word "capirote", which refers to the tall, conical hat in a religious context. Home > Recipes > capirotada cheddar cheese.

I was introduced to the world of Mexican bread up close! It is more traditional to fry the day old bread in pork lard until golden brown. In addition, aged cheese is added, which might explain why some people's recipes call for milk. On this day I had this Mexican variety of Menonita cheese. Capirotada is the Mexican version of the so known bread pudding.

Some recipes do not require the bolillo sliced bread to be toasted. Line the base of the ovenproof dish with half the toast. Embracing my Mexican heritage and sharing all the wonderful flavors, colors and foods I grew up with.