Lots of flavor! For extra taste and flavor I added more garlic, crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, Cajun seasoning, and used chicken broth and white wine au lieu of water.

Stir in the garlic, spices, thyme and bay leaf … That said, it was a pretty good 45 minute gumbo. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 10 to 12 minutes. First of all, no okra (never liked the stuff) added zucchini from the garden instead. They are all I use. We love our gumbos super spicy and hot! I forgot to get the red peppers for the recipe, but it tasted great without them. Stir in bell peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Perhaps any vegetable that you enjoy the taste of with chicken. Served with rice. Skim fat from gumbo and discard bay leaves.

The only problem. My first time making a gumbo!!! this website.

Add the chicken and cook in batches for about 5 mins to brown all over. Very ,very good....it's a keepers for sure! Great consistency and very tasty after adequate salt and pepper added. Enter to Win $10,000 to Makeover Your Home! Add the onion, green pepper and celery to the pan, put on the lid and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally until softened a little. Tony's can be found in most US grocery stores, especially Southern states. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. I used Aidells Cajun style andouille sausage. Stir in shredded chicken, and warm through, 1 to 2 minutes. It's not bad. I followed some of the other suggestions and used half water and half low sodium chicken broth. We make several versions , the shrimp, crab and crawdaddy/ we do smoked shredded pork with pepper bacon/ we do smoked elk and venison. Tossed in about 1T. Get inspired to make your porch your new favorite living space with these ideas designed to add a refined look to any outdoor space. Add remaining oil to the same pan; stir in flour until blended. I liked that this was a fast recipe, but did modify after comparing ingredients to other authentic gumbo recipes. Just returned from our trip to NOLA, and my husband says this could stand against any gumbo we had there. Lightly brown fresh chicken--5 min. Make the roux: Heat the canola oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes. I thought this recipe was great, a real time-saver. Instead of water, added 1 large can crushed tomatoes and about 40 oz fat free chicken broth.

Kind of bland. —Billy Hensley, Mount Carmel, Tennessee, Chicken and Andouille Gumbo Recipe photo by Taste of Home. You likely wash your hands several times a day, but are you doing so effectively? Start by carving out a designated work area in your space. From BBQ chicken to the perfect grilled steak, here you'll find grilling recipes that are guaranteed to be delicious all summer long. All can be made in 45 minutes or less. Gumbo does not have worchestershire in it, and what is pictured is way too light. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is very tender. I added 1 tsp cayenne (depending on taste), 2 TBL paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp mustard. Stir in the garlic, spices, thyme and bay leaf and cook for 1 min until fragrant.

Rely on rotisserie chicken, smoked spicy sausage, and frozen okra from the store to stack up flavors in our quick rendition of a classic Cajun stew. Learn how to sew an easy medical face mask with fabric and cotton ribbon, amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Why don't you try green beans or mushrooms? I did add some celery with the onion and red pepper, and some Sriracha at the end for a bit more spice, but we really enjoyed it. Welcome guests to your home this autumn with rustic gourd garlands, decorated pumpkins, and wreaths and centerpieces made from foraged materials. Then season and serve, scattering the rest of the sage over. Also added some blackening cajun seasoning after reading the other comments. vegetable. Use only 1 lb sausage. Turned out well, will probably serve this over jasmine rice. I added one can petite diced tomatoes with garlic and one can of chicken stock.

I also forgot to add the okra, and didn't even notice until I had eaten a few bites. I used Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix instead of the wheat flour because I'm Gluten Intolerant and it worked brilliantly! Whisk in both flours and cook, whisking constantly, until the roux is dark … I'll make it again. Hope that helped! Recipe from Good Food magazine, September 2013, New! MINOUCHKA Great quick gumbo recipe.

Learn how to minimize the spread of germs with an extra few seconds of scrubbing.

Add 4 cups water; stir in okra and sausage. Hands down one of the best we have had! Explore the best in fall perennials and start planning your autumn garden's layout. This will definitely become a regular for me! I made this last night.

This is not Gumbo. Next time I will use chicken broth like others have suggested to make it a bit richer. Agreed...a little bland but nothing that some spices can't take care of. Add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until pale golden, 5 to 7 minutes. https://www.marthastewart.com/340565/half-hour-chicken-gumbo This was delicious! I am gluten free so instead of flour, I added a can of creamed corn after cooking the garlic, onion, peppers and spices 10 minutes. Basic recipe is a great start to a hearty dish.

Butternut squash might be fall's most versatile (and beloved!) I added a fair amount of Tony Chachere's (a Southern staple in seasoning) to kick up the flavor a bit. There are so many delicious ways to use this hard-shell squash, from soups and salads to lasagna and pizza. I read enough of the comments to confirm my suspicions: (1) the roux needs to cook lots longer (~20 min. I know I have many nations and ethnic touches in this recipe. Add the onion, green pepper and celery to the pan, put on the lid and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally until softened a little. I had such a hard time finding the okra (as it is not common in the UK) that I think next time I would do the zucchini as well. Love it. But I will call it my United States Gumbo!! It turned out YUM, YUM! Discard bones.

On the reheat I added some hot sauce and made a difference. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium high heat. This recipe was awesome! Turned out fantastic! It's too light, a gumbo roux must be at least caramel, your veggies look raw, and gumbo veggies are super soft, you have no Cajun spices in it, and really nobody serves gumbo with cornbread. There are things you can do to speed up gumbo, but these ain't them folks. Being thrifty and a little lazy I used skinless, boneless thighs, half the amount of sausage (14oz pkg) and a bag of frozen seasoning veggies (onion, peppers & celery) instead of fresh. Here, get our best grilling recipes for everything from fish and meat to pizza and oysters. Martha Stewart is part of the Meredith Home Group.

Turned out fantastic!

Everyone enjoyed the flavor. Forgot to add that I also substituted chicken stock( I love the Better that Boullion) stuff for the water. I used chicken broth in lieu of water. Can you substitute green beans or something? 1 Cook the bacon: Cook the diced bacon until crispy in a large stew pot set over medium heat.Remove the bacon and set aside; you'll add it back in when you serve your I also added celery to vegetable saute; it's essential.

I have some really good andouille in the freezer that improved the dish over most of what is passed as andouille that's found outside of Louisiana. Return the chicken and any juices to the pan with the flour, stirring to coat everything. Added 1 tablespoon each white wine vinegar, worcestershire sauce, cajun seasoning (to taste). So easy and really tasty. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.