What is a yellow onion? I really mean that. Pour into the slow cooker, then stir in the chickpeas and potatoes. Adjust salt to taste, stir through scallions/shallots and parsley. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.

Originally published January 2016. Drizzle the olive oil into a large saute pan over medium heat and swirl to coat.

I used regular potatoes for the recipe but you can also use sweet potatoes if you prefer.

I’m gonna give it a shot! That is up until November rolled in and the temperature plunged below 0 degrees. This is delicious — I am eating it right now. You get bonus points if you go to the effort of serving these with Easy Soft Flatbreads. Either way, I hope you love it! And with a few exceptions – like Butter Chicken, Tikka Masala and Biryani– the list of spices almost always includes spices that I need to hunt down at speciality spice stores or Indian grocery stores. ★☆ It’s used in all sorts of recipes, such as: Measuring out those spices is definitely the step that takes the most time in this recipe!!

Join my free email list to receive THREE free cookbooks! Unfortunately I didn’t have any garam masala but I substituted Chinese 5-spice & thought it turned out great Will definitely make this again after I find some gm. I love that it’s so easy to make.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I will try it with at least 2 c broth. Hi there, thanks for your comment. The spices were the best part!

Slow cookers can definitely vary. And it’s made from scratch – no curry pastes here! Thai beef curry. I haven’t tested these out so I can’t say how it will alter the taste but I’m confident one of these will work! I actually made a batch of this on the stove a couple of weeks ago, and when I took the glass lid off the pot, it fell down and smashed into a bazillion little tiny pieces. I started the blog after a spontaneous trip to India where I studied the practice of yoga and wellness. I added raisins as suggested and used diced tomatoes + tomato paste because I didn’t have tomato sauce and it turned out wonderful. Delicious! They taste just like naan, and they’re the perfect vehicle to scoop up that wickedly delicious curry sauce!!

Hi Shannon, It’s just plain tomato sauce! If you want to cut back on the carbs, try cauliflower rice (please, someone remind me to share this recipe, I mention it so often!). That alone is enough to get me to try it, but I’m a sucker for Indian food as well, so making this is pretty much a done deal, as far as I’m concerned. I wonder how well it would work if you used raw chickpeas (instead of canned) and used the crockpot to cook the raw chickpeas in the broth. , Great light! Thanks Ariel!

My husband: “how much spice is in this dish?” ALOT!! ★☆ The beauty of using a crockpot is that you essentially have to do nothing. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, garam masala, ground ginger, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and salt. Copyright © 2020 Oh My Veggies | A Vegetarian Food Blog | DMCA Policy | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Our Sister Site: Vegan Recipes by VegKitchen.com. Only use HOT if you can handle the heat! Filling. One thing I LOVE about this crockpot Moroccan chickpea stew is that it’s so versatile. How to make potato curry slow cooker style. Thanks, Gail! My Chana aloo curry turned out wonderfully. Bring to simmer then turn down the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and the sauce has thickened. Lovely flavours. With the autumn weather starting I brought out my crockpot and this was the first stew of the season. Potatoes are essential for me since I love me some potatoes in the fall, but you can add some green veggies like broccoli or green beans instead, or in addition. I want to make this recipe BUT the person I will be sharing it with cannot eat tomatoes. If you’re not a huge fan of chickpeas, you can even swap them out for any other type of bean or legume, (like lentils or lima beans) or go completely bean-free and do only veggies. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.

I have these spices but was looking at doing something with Thai red curry paste. Enjoy it on its own or with some basmati rice! This Chickpea curry is slightly adapted from a recipe by Imma from Immaculate Bites, an African-Caribbean food blog. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. The combination of the subtle, sweet coconut flavour with the big spicy flavours in this curry is SO GOOD! Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. I believe you can make great food with everyday ingredients even if you’re short on time and cost conscious. Hello Nagi, Traditions brought to the region by the population.

. (Bonus: If you’re missing one or two – other than curry powder – it’s not the end of the world.). I bet this is so good with a side of naan bread! I like to serve up this stew on top of some rice or quinoa, or with a nice piece of fresh crusty bread. Served with naan bread from Whole Foods.

I have a question about tablespoons – are you using Australian tablespoons (~20ml) or what I presume are north American tablespoons (~15ml)? In future I will cut down on the cayenne as my family found it too spicy. I made it and had it the second day. I’ve made several of your recipes and ALL of them turned up absolutely delicious.

:), This recipe sounds absolutely amazing! This recipe for crockpot Morrocan chickpea stew featuring bold spices like cinnamon and cumin to really add some flavour to the stew. In reviewing the ingredients, I can’t see how 1 c liquid is enough. What will you give me for this drumstick…??? A crockpot is definitely a seasonal thing for me.

Heat oil in a large pot or very deep skillet over medium high heat.

I reheated with a little veg broth and added a bunch of baby spinach and sprinkled nutritional yeast on top..I will be making this again!

Put it on low while I was away working for the day. When they tried it, they all asked for the recipe! Thanks Laura! , Hi Chelsea, That’s great a really great tip! I wanted it to be all juicy like the picture to soak up with my naan. Chopped everything up in the morning, put on the heat, started work, and had a fresh hot lunch waiting for me (ah, the joys of working from home!) Zucchini or eggplant would be delicious.

It has great layers of flavour. I just made this now and it is so delicious! Your email address will not be published.

https://www.kitchentreaty.com/slow-cooker-red-lentil-chickpea-curry

We’re glad you loved this recipe as much as we do! Also, a dollop of yogurt goes nicely – the fresh cool tang tempers the spiciness and adds a touch of creaminess. Followed the recipe and added a couple of red peppers served over coconut brown rice. But it really tastes just like Indian curries (the tomato based ones, not the creamy ones). I have three.

Love the warm spices you use in this recipe.