(You can unsubscribe anytime). lang – Language. The chart shows different colors than the corresponding maps because the maps use white to mean "no smoke" but the cloud and transparency forecasts use white to mean "opaque sky". right 91% of the time. will be the map closest to the hour you picked. “Gas Giants lets you peer through a simulated telescope to observe Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune and their major moons, as they appear right now, or at any date and time.”, This is a very cool app created by the team responsible for the Paramount line of equatorial telescope mounts. (fresh), 10.8-17.2m/s (strong), and over 17.2m/s (gale or above). I really enjoyed putting together this list of stargazing apps, because I found a bunch of great new astronomy apps in the process. You will never miss it. Weather forecast near the groundWind, temperature and humidity forecasts near the ground surface for the next 48 hours. This one was new to me, and so far, I absolutely love it. It’s not perfect, but in most cases, it’s pretty realistic. The forecast range is 8-day (192-hour). Simply point your iPhone, iPad, or iPod at the sky to identify stars, constellations, satellites, and more.”.

Seeing forecastSeeing forecasts at 3-hourly intervals up to 48 hours. Seeing is forecast for 3-hour blocks, so triples of seeing blocks will show the same color. There are four parameters that need to be set to successfully call the API: lon and lat for geographic coordinate of the location, product for the product you wish to use (any of "astro", "civil", "civillight", "meteo" or "two"), and output for the standard you wish to use (either "xml" or "json"). It can be a chore to find the one you want. The graphical API will display the forecast diagram as seen at the 7Timer! Canadian Meteorological Centre (CMC) astronomy forecast, U.S. National Weather Service Model Analyses and Guidance, Penn State University's Electronic Map Wall, Canadian Meteorological Centre Astronomy Forecasts, Canadian Meteorological Centre General Forecasts, Penn State University Electronic Map Wall, Astronomy for Beginners: How to Get Started in Backyard Astronomy, 111 Deep Sky Wonders for Light-Polluted Skies. the blocks on the chart are in local time. This is because the GFS data only provides the precipitation and lifted index data at ground level. The CMC map your browser will load

than 4mm/hr with cloud cover more than 80%, Precipitation rate less The "seeing" is the term used in astronomy to quantify the steadiness or the turbulence of the atmosphere. It's is specifically intended for amateur astronomers. next few days. Read the image from left to right. by the word: You may also observe better seeing than predicted here when observing If you find this clear sky chart, or CMC maps linked by the colored blocks, I can generate charts for almost What’s that light in the sky? I enjoy this weather app over a more traditional one (such as the weather network). “Meteoblue shows high precision weather forecasts combined with a beautiful, simple and easy to use design. He needs to show My absolute favorite app is probably Stellarium, but that is probably because I have been using it for so long and am very comfortable with it. Clear Outside has been my go-to resource for the most accurate (and sometimes depressing) astronomy weather forecast for the night. But be aware that all other forecasters routinely consult the ones from the various national weather services, such as the following: To see what the weather is actually doing, check the U.S. Geostationary Satellite Server. “My Aurora Forecast is the best app for seeing the Northern Lights in Canada and the rest of the world. summarizes CMC's forecast images just for Alpha Ridge Park Not “Without further adieu, ” rather Atmospheric transparency. Stellarium is an extremely popular planetarium app for mobile phones. Here is a recent video shared by the PhotoPills team about how to use the app to help plan a Milky Way photography session. What if you're planning a vacation, or looking for a retirement home with good astronomy conditions? I was absolutely astonished to find out just how many amazing astronomy apps I hadn’t heard of before, that I now use and enjoy on a daily basis. You can also help preserve your night vision when doing some casual visual observing with your binoculars or telescope in the backyard. Also, when the cloud forecast is opaque and the humidity forecast is 95%, rain is likely: a good time to cover … below -5. Copyright 2020 A. Danko. All modern weather forecasts are based on models running inside supercomputers at the various national weather centers. Whether the site is public or private, or has any affiliations with astronomy clubs or organizations.

Geolocation by Google Gears is not supported at this time. To convert UTC time to local time, you have to take into account the time difference between your time zone and Greenwich time zone as well as daylight time if necessary.

I have also included the publisher of the app, category, and description of the application so you can get an idea of what to expect before downloading it. Program developers are asked to notify me when using the data so I can track the server workload. Mostly-cloudy forecasts (cloud>75%) have been I hope this list of astronomy apps has given you at least 1 new useful tool for astronomy and astrophotography. Two-Week-Overview (TWO) is intended for civil users. Astronomical seeing. It's data form the "european" forecast model ECMWF. A good trick to check the necessarity of this function is to compare the forecasted and the actual temperature. Locate a column of blue blocks. 7Timer! It is based on Ben Sugerman's Limiting Magnitude They can help you better prepare for the weather, and find out when key astronomical events are taking place. I have been using a similar app called Polar Finder (listed further down the post) for many years on my Samsung Galaxy S10 (Android) phone.

Forecast for FLO HQ, Exeter, Devon, UK (50.70,-3.52) Est. At a glance, it shows when it will be cloudy or clear for the next few days. You can watch developing cloud patterns and movement. It's here for comparison with the CMC cloud cover forecast. Should be 0 (default), 2 or 7. the total transparency of the atmosphere from ground to space. You can also help keep clear sky charts free for everyone by being a sponsor. But dewing is not simply correlated to relative humidity. These legends are given below. ), “ISS Detector will tell you when and where to look for the ISS. There was one that is neat to play around with that you did not list called Planet Finder. The two numbers at the top of a column is the time. There are some more details in The forecasts cover North America and are produced by the numerical weather prediction models that execute at the Canadian Meteorological Centre.The following forecast parameters are available in real time: forecasts of cloud, surface winds, temperatures and humidity as well as more specific parameters such as seeing forecasts and sky transparency. was firstly established in July 2005 as an exploration product under supported of the National Astronomical Observatories of China and had been largely renovated in 2008 and 2011. I’ve reached out to the astrophotography and astronomy community on twitter to find out which astronomy apps are the most popular. The U.S. National Climate Data center displays a huge amount of data in tabular form.

“DarkLight app allows you to use your phone as a source of light in the dark without your eyes having to adjust for light. I have had a number of moon phase calendars installed on my Android phone in the past, and they all seem to work well enough. Whether your passion is to capture beautiful landscapes, immortalize the infinite night sky, surprise the bride and the groom in their happiest day… or to travel the world, PhotoPills will make you love exploring new artistic possibilities to tell visual stories in a way it wasn’t possible before.”. Humid weather warning. A Clear Sky Chart collects all the information about one location from the CMC's astronomy forecasts into a single view. It provides a cloud cover forecast. The usages of these variables are explained below. 0.7-0.85, 0.85-1, >1 (unit: mag per air mass). "explain colors when you mouse over" to interpret the colors. This is based on the Global Forecast System, which covers the entire planet and stretches more than a week into the future, but is less detailed and reliable than the CMC model. That Astrospheric app was the one that was new to me. Hey, this is cool.