I love Disney princesses, but having one that was dark skinned and saved herself and Prince was something else. Subscribe to iDiva and never miss out on the fun! She was previously married to Dakota Meyer. Here are some female characters in movies who have been received with such a sexist bias. Fan of Arthouse, Exploitation, Horror, Euro Trash, Giallo, New French Extremism. Weird, Crazy, Stupid, and Psycho. When I was a kid, some boy called me Synclaire as an insult, but now I have no problem with it. Bindia Naik calls a spade a spade, making many people rather uncomfortable. Whenever she argued with Don, I LIVED.

Luckily there are exceptions to this awful rule, women in these genre movies who are well written, three-dimensional characters. Edited by Benjamin Svetkey and Andy Lewis. She fought for what she believed she deserved, which has made her a truly inspiring character. They literally paved the way for NASA and didn't let anybody get in their way. '", "Matilda taught me it doesn't matter if you're little or young: as long as you're clever and you demand justice, you're as strong as can be. But Cersei and Harley Quinn are a different kind of crazy. ", "Despite having to save the world every day from vampires and other demons, she still managed to stay true to herself and maintain the strong bond she had with her friends. She has no regard to what the audience thinks of her, and ironically, it makes us like her more. ", "It was so empowering as a woman to see an all female army protecting a king! She is an actress and producer, known for Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999), Look Who's Talking (1989) and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982). ", "Barbra Streisand's character in The Way We Were was incredible. Cersei’s scene in the Game of Thrones finale lit us all up more than her fellow female character Daenerys ever did, because Daenerys belongs to the old model of Strong Female Character. Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor. ", "Lana was unashamed of her ambition and never abandoned her fighting spirit, even when she was faced with unimaginable obstacles. Subscribe to iDiva & get never miss out on the latest trends! Instead of delving into what drove so many brilliant women to the point of relatively “insane” behaviour, most films have just focussed on showing the madness and strangeness of these women. We don't spam, promise. ", "Olivia showed serious selflessness with the clients she took on at Pope & Associates. Keep up with the latest daily buzz with the BuzzFeed Daily newsletter! ", "It showed women excelling at excellent careers despite being black women in the 1960s. To undo that, here is a second look, a re-interpretation of some unforgettable “mad women” in cinema, and why I think they are quite amazing. ", "Whenever I saw Wonder Woman in her iconic getup, and I got chills.

", "She made her way up through the surgical program by working hard and standing her ground. And Weird and Stupid. She was a writer and actress, known for Spaceballs (1987), Iron Man 3 (2013) and Serial Mom (1994). Male antiheroes have had their moment in the sun for years, and between Cersei, Harley Quinn, and Cate Blanchett scheduled to appear as the first primary female villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, morally grey women are lighting the world on fire more than ever. She began her career at age three as a Ford model, and also made appearances in over sixty television commercials, including spots for The Gap, Pizza Hut, Wendy's, and Jell-O (opposite Bill Cosby). Priyanka Chopra deftly portrays the wanton Susanna in 7 Khoon Maaf, searching for the perfect man despite a series of failed relationships, murdering all of her 7 husbands, one after another, disturbed and depressed by her constant failures in love. But if you think of the most iconic movie characters of the last decade, it’s far more riddled with unbalanced men: Donnie Darko, Heath Ledger’s Joker, Loki, Captain Jack Sparrow. 6 "Psycho" Female Characters In Films Who Are Actually Kind Of Amazing, © 2009 - 2020 TIMES INTERNET LIMITED | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Very few “mad” female characters have got happy endings. What about Tina, the girl from A Nightmare on Elm Street who…has a bunch of sex and gets murdered? A genius, Meeta is an engineer who has weird behavioural traits. Though most famous for her role as Isabella "Bella" Swan in The Twilight (2008) Saga, Kristen Stewart has been a working actor since her early years in Los Angeles, California, where she was born.

While the narrative eventually redeems her, many treat her character as a bit of a “psycho” because of this competitive, go-getter streak. The bleaker, artier or sleazier the better! “Crazy” women have been dominating our screens lately. I love female characters who don't care about being likable. ", "Catwoman showed me women can be unapologetically sexy, fierce, and badass at the same time. ", "The way she helped people, especially victims, and fought for others instead of herself made me wish Olivia Benson was a real person. She went from being a shy receptionist in a bad relationship to standing up for herself and getting what she actually wanted. Self care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life. ", "She was an amazing Paleobotanist who survived multiple raptor attacks, and a strong female lead without being the stereotypical love interest.

My first film watched was Carrie aged 2 on my dad's knee. She’s a straightforward “hero” whose every repetitive speech is a big yawn. 9 Awesome Movies With 99% On Rotten Tomatoes, 10 Recent Films That Totally Blew The Ending, 10 Movies That Pissed Audiences Off In The Final Scene, Star Wars: Every Lightsaber Duel Ranked Worst To Best Not only that, but Shuri is so iconic. See more ideas about Female character names, Character names, Names with meaning. She showed me that I could be a leader and make a difference, no matter who tried to tell me differently. She's a smart, technological genius -- it's been refreshing to see independent women in films. As a child, Britney attended dance classes, and she was great at gymnastics, winning many competitions and the like. Considering her powerful portrayal of an institutionalised sociopath who is a pathological liar and manipulator since her childhood, that much is unsurprising. No, you don’t? All hail Daenerys Targaryen, breaker of chains, mother of dragons, and 1,000 other powerful titles she's held. ", "She was both a smart and awesome woman, and the scariest little being on the planet for criminals. Her ancestry includes Finnish, English, and Volga German. New, Zack Snyder Has Already Planned Out Justice League 2 This page lists all of the female characters in Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens Educated at The University of St Andrews and Trinity College Dublin. She died on September 4, 2014 in... Weird, Crazy, Stupid, Annoying, AND Psycho!

Harley Quinn and Cersei, and Crazy Female Characters Between Cersei on 'Game of Thrones' and Harley in 'Suicide Squad' it's the dawn of crazy female characters. They don’t simply run down the stairs screaming or have a lot of sex, they're s a reminder of the kind of writing-for-women that audienceS need to see more of. They aren’t endearingly weird or charmingly quirky: they are wild to the point of being murderously batshit sociopaths. Her father is Greek, and her mother was of English, Irish, Scottish, and Italian descent. Her parents, John Stewart and Jules Stewart, both work in film and television.