This will deactivate most of the goitrogens. Weil, Andrew. Use this super simple daily protocol to start your day right feeling calm, clear, and full of energy. …the common belief today is that these goitrogens are easily broken down by cooking the vegetables. Great information, I hate that I can’t eat kimchi as frequently, but…I especially appreciate the mention of DIM, as I have been using that for years.

Have you heard of Moringa and would that be a good alternative to the DIM?? According to scientific research the answer is no: eat your greens and beans for good health (except in special cases, as noted). Keep in mind that low TSH and even high T4/T3 does NOT indicate hyperthyroidism. And simply increasing iodine intake slightly is known to help offset the thyroid suppress effects of these goitrogens. Here’s a breakdown of why cruciferous vegetables are controversial, and why I think they’re safe to eat anyway. Eating cruciferous vegetables is not optional; it is a necessity for optimal health. The simple answer is that for the vast majority of people with hypothyroidism, cruciferous vegetables do not disrupt thyroid hormone production, and are really important for overall health. And it may surprise you to learn that the cancer fighting chemicals derived from cruciferous vegetables are the same goitrogens that can be dangerous to your thyroid. 4. (Note: We do not recommend or advocate the use of iodine supplements that commonly lead to iodine toxicity and thyroid dysfunction as discussed here.). One of the effects these goitrogens that is being studied is their ability to act like a chemotherapy agent and kill cancer cells. Download it free here.).

Yet, today large quantities of these vegetables become a staple in our modern day diet. And I’m not sure many of us have the problem of overeating vegetables! And here’s where you can get a copy of our programs: https://www.forefronthealth.com/programs/, Thank you for the reply. Tell us about your experience in the comments below!

Even people with hypothyroidism or with family history can enjoy cooked cruciferous vegetables however in a controlled manner. www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/food-safety/is-broccoli-bad-for-the-thyroid/, www.healthyeating.sfgate.com/broccoli-bad-thyroid-9761.html, www.hormonesbalance.com/articles/truth-cruciferous-thyroid-not-think/, Debunking the paleo diet | Christina Warinner | TEDxOU, Bearers of the Cross: Crucifers in the Context of Traditional Diets and Modern Science, How to Boost Your Thyroid in 60-Seconds with a Carrot, How a High-Cholesterol Diet Can Help Save Your Thyroid (and Protect Against Diabetes), How to Naturally Boost Your Thyroid By 61% with One Vitamin and 30 Seconds per Day, 4 Simple Thyroid Brain Fog Fixes (also known as “Cold Brain Syndrome”), https://www.forefronthealth.com/thyroid-mistakes/, https://www.forefronthealth.com/thyroid-medication/, https://www.forefronthealth.com/lp/ultimate-thyroid-testing-protocol/, https://www.forefronthealth.com/programs/, https://www.forefronthealth.com/lp/ultimate-thyroid-testing-protocol, https://www.forefronthealth.com/overcome-hypothyroidism/, https://www.forefronthealth.com/hypothyroidism-and-stress/, How to Heal Your Thyroid By Healing Your Liver, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: How It Develops and How to Reverse It, How We Overcome Hypothyroidism When All Else Fails, How to End Insomnia and Wake Up Refreshed with Hypothyroidism, The Simple 3-Step Home Thyroid Test That Will Put You In Control of Your Thyroid Health, 7 Thyroid Fixes to Beat Breast Cancer By Giving Up the War and Going Natural, What do we do ,if we are allergic to orange juice? Or are you simply saying to eat in moderation said sauerkraut, and if so, what is the recommended amount per day? It was tested and confirmed in animals, and it seems to be the same in humans (15).

Hi Zainub, I don’t recommend stopping any sort of medication. Do you eat cruciferous veggies? In this case, an 88-year old woman developed hypothyroidism after eating two to three pounds of raw bok choy every day for several months. Talero, E., Avila-Roman, J., & Motilva, V. (2012). A large intake of iodine can mess reduces the thyroid’s ability to produce hormones.

And you produce too much thyroid hormone. and im wondering whether I inactual fact have celiac/ gluten intolerance.

Hi David, the cancer claims are discussed in the article under the “Don’t Cruciferous Vegetables Protect Against Cancer?” section.

You would need to boil broccoli for 30 minutes to reduce the goitrogens by 90%! I was literally having breathing problems and very unwell. It is also wise to make sure your iodine intake is appropriately supplemented for those not eating seaweed or seafood regularly. Iodized salt is the chief source of iodine in the Western diet. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.

How do I substitute for greens? For example, they interfere with thyroid hormones to a significant degree.

These results suggest that soy phytoestrogens have cardiovascular benefits, but for a small subset of people with already compromised thyroid function, excessive soy products may exacerbate that condition.25. I tried the temp n pulse test and mines was not right 60.1 and 55 beats. Consult a physician regarding the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your symptoms or medical condition. Hi Anthony, I mentioned this elsewhere but I’ll copy it here as well. It’s well known that broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables can suppress thyroid function.

First, a recap: cruciferous veggies are a hearty group belonging to the mustard family. Do Cruciferous Vegetables Cause Thyroid Problems? And it’s not just the cruciferous vegetables.Goitrogens are also present in soy, spinach, strawberries, peaches, and peanuts.Thyroid patients should not take thyroid hormone medication with certain foods. Recent results from the Adventist Health Study revealed that vegan Adventists were less likely than omnivore Adventists to have hypothyroidism.16  Similarly, a 2011 study of Boston area vegetarians and vegans found that vegans had higher urinary thiocyanate (indicative of higher cruciferous intake) and lower iodine intake, but no difference in thyroid function, which was within the normal range.18, Soy isoflavone intake is linked to reduced risk of breast cancer, prostate cancer, and cardiovascular disease.15,23 Soy phytoestrogens could theoretically interfere with thyroid hormone synthesis and metabolism, but the effects are not thought to be clinically relevant in healthy individuals. I’m not relying on my thyroid anymore but WP thyroid…so my thyroid is already suppressed.

Only a small number (6 out of 60) in the high isoflavone group demonstrated a mild worsening of their thyroid function.25 However, this study did not examine the effects of consuming soy as edamame or tempeh, soy in its natural state, but used a concentrated soy protein powder, which may have different effects.

The problem with cruciferous veggies is that they contain goitrogens, which are substances that affect the thyroid gland. This is about as mad as I get! 3. Re-Balance | Re-Activate | Restore Your Thyroid Health. I’d hate to think I was harming myself by eating my favorite foods! Thank you for all your assistance. How does that play into eating these foods? Iodine is a component of thyroid hormones; when iodine deficient, the body is unable to produce enough thyroid hormones. In well controlled animal studies, goitrogens are well known to cause thyroid cancer. Hi Kay, even if supplementing thyroid hormone this would still be a concern. Iodine deficiency is a concern for those who follow a healthful, plant-based diet since it is not naturally abundant in foods, except in seafood and seaweeds. But for people with thyroid problems, cruciferous vegetable is not the best choice. Xu, J., Liu, X. L., Yang, X. F., Guo, H. L., Zhao, L. N., & Sun, X. F. (2011). He did change the name brand but its still a t4 medicine. Hopefully you’re doing better now. Today I want to talk about cruciferous vegetables and thyroid health. For otherwise healthy people, the evidence suggests that regular soy consumption would only be problematic in the context of iodine deficiency.15,16. Healthy Headlines was created to inform and educate those who are looking to improve their health.

Weil, Andrew. They contain various plant toxins designed to poison the animals that try to eat them, including you. Because of this, they are more problematic in cases of true iodine deficiency. Would like to hear Forefront views on this and DIM. For full functionality of this site, it is necessary to enable JavaScript. Its possible that I will have side effects once they completely wear off but I guess then I will have a better idea of what exactly is going on.

Some great selenium-rich foods include: As for iodine, you don’t need to stick to table salt to get your fill. They’re an excellent source of minerals, like folate and fiber, and vitamins like C, E, and K. They also contain powerful phytochemicals that may help soothe chronic inflammation and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. We focus on addressing thyroid dysfunction from every angle.