Learn about Author Central . From school, Ike writes home to his person, Gertrude LaRue. This book is one of my all-time favorites and another excellent example of a postmodern children's picturebook. Sign up to get exclusive offers, the best in books & more. Since we do not hear this, the story sounds one-sided, and I would like to see at least a little input from Mrs. LaRue to add depth and detail to this story.

While he is there he sends letters to his 'person' named Mrs. LaRue. Good book that showed there are two sides to every story. © Copyright 2011 - 2020 RB Audiobooks USA LLC. When Mrs. LaRue enrolls Ike in obedience school for two months, he is so distraught that he breaks out. When Ike Larue is "imprisoned" at the Igor Brotweiler Canine Academy, he tries everything to get sent home--weepy letters to his owner, even illness. accessibility problem.

Are you aware that the term lasts TWO MONTHS?

Mrs. LaRue ignores his letters though, as she knows that this school is what is best for him now. Dear Mrs. LaRue Letters from Obedience School written and illustrated by Mark Teague tells the tale of a misunderstood pooch, Ike.

web accessibility. Ike was sent to the Brotweiler Canine Academy by his owner Mrs. LaRue.

All rights reserved. Moral of the story- there is no place like home! See search results for this author. After 10 days … See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions. This book could have been incredibly hilarious, and while for me it didn’t quite make it to that level, I thought it was really cute and funny.

Then you will relate to the hardship and woe I'm enduring while locked up at the Igor Brotweiler Canine Academy. Thank you. At school, Ike writes letters to Mrs. LaRue about how he feels he has been unjustly put in this school, and that he will do anything to get out of it. In addition to his prized art for the How Do Dinosaurs . Finally, he runs away only to find himself back in Snort City--just in time to save Mrs. Larue's life.Teague is at the top of his fetching form in this madcap comedy where the real world of Brotweiler & the one Ike imagines are brilliantly depicted thru split-screen visuals, the former in color & the latter in b&w. You will be able to unsubscribe at any time. His daily letters home complain of imagined indignities and exaggerated tales of mistreatment. I love the words that are part of the pictures, and especially loved the chart diagnosis on Ike’s infirmary bed. Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School, Mark Teague, David De Vries, Kids>Animals & Nature, >Kids, Scholastic Inc., 0 . We’d love your help. This for sure brings to life the childlike dream of being able to communicate with your dog. . Instantly access Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School plus over 40,000 of the best books & videos for kids.

This book is about a dog that is sent to obedience school and from there he starts writing letters to his owner about his experience at the obedience school. Full color. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. This unit correlates with the book Dear Mrs. LaRue by Mark Teague. Our membership in ETAS has temporarily doubled our digital collections, adding 3 million additional items. The hero begins a clever letter-writing campaign to Mrs. LaRue that paints a grim (and hopefully guilt-inducing) picture of his Brotweiler experience. It has colorful illustrations on one side and on the other side has black and white illustrations. Black-and-white illustrations portray the canine''s version of his confinement, while splashes of color show the reality. One criticism I have of this book is that it does not give much information about Mrs. LaRue, or how she feels about having her dog in the school. Gertrude LaRue receives typewritten and paw-written letters from her dog Ike, entreating her to let him leave the Igor Brotweiler Canine Academy and come back home. 1% of net proceeds from this book helps children in high-needs communities through the Indigo Love of Reading Foundation.

Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School - Audio. Mark Teague (Author) 4.8 out of 5 stars 144 ratings. All in all, a tail-wagger of a book that will have readers howling with amusement. This is a school for Bad Dogs, not good ones like your dear old Ike! Welcome back. is he simply trying to make Mrs. LaRue feel guilty? But readers are privy to the hilarious truth. I really enjoyed how it showed both Ike's idea of what was happening vs. what was actually happening, and the fact that Mrs. LaRue didn't seemed too interested in her dog's dramatic letters. Narrator Rating .

This book is about Ike the dog who is sent to Igor Brotweiler Canine Academy because of his previous bad behavior.

Kids reading this book will have to distinguish between the overdramatic things Ike says and the colorful pictures that display how life really is. This book was so fun, and it is something I can totally see how kids would love reading/hearing a story about a dog being left at an obedience school and him telling his side of it. Ike finds himself at the Igor Brotweiler Canine Academy because of his bad behavior at home. This book was used for a reading lesson on the skills of asking questions and drawing conclusions. Give as a Gift. Readers are quickly alerted to these humorous discrepancies by the witty illustrations: Ike's dark perceptions are in black and white, while the real world is shown in color.

In his letters, the pooch begs to come home, and offers up a defense of his so-called crimes. But because of the wonderful illustrations, the reader knows that his days at the obedience school are not as bad as he is explaining to Mrs. LaRue. Summary: Dear Mrs. LaRue is an epistolary book comprised of letters sent to Mrs. LaRue from her dog Ike who is currently residing at obedience school.

A dog laments his fate at obedience school through a series of laugh-out-loud letters at home. Having repeatedly terrorized the neighbors'' cats and snatched one snack too many from the kitchen counter, Ike finds himself enrolled at Igor Brotweiler Canine Academy.

Terms and conditions. The story is narrated by Ike through a series of letters that he writes to Mrs. LaRue from the confines of the obedience school. Fast, FREE delivery, video streaming, music, and much more. The illustrations show Ike's reality versus the exaggerated melodramatic scenes from his letters. I can imagine my dog writing them.

Through a series of hilarious letters home, Ike tries everything to get released from obedience school. Mark Teague (Author) 4.8 out of 5 stars 144 ratings. Plus, enjoy 10% off your next online purchase over $50. Ike is sad, so his perceptions are dark, when the happy perceptions are in color. No Kindle device required. (Sept.) (c) Copyright PWxyz, LLC. . "But if he was distracted by something - a squirrel or an interesting smell - he was likely to forget which paw was supposedly hurt and give himself away." His book, How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?, written by Jane Yolen, was named an Ala Notable Book and a Book Sense Book of the Year Finalist. You can Read Online Dear Mrs Larue here in PDF, EPUB, Mobi or Docx formats.

Offer valid for new subscribers only. Don't be fooled by the cheery color pictures inside.

The story line and plot are moved along by the visuals that align with the text. Please see your welcome email for exclusions and details.

After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages that interest you.

There are other "Dear Mrs. LaRue" books that involve the same characters, so I could ask students to compare and contrast these stories since a third grade common core standard is for students to compare and contrast stories, plots, or characters written by the same author. Students practice 4 vocabulary words each week and record their thinking in an interactive journ Refresh and try again. At home, he has been chasing cats, eating food he isn't supposed to, and pulling his owner down while on walks. Excellent gift to my obedience trainer, I like Ike, and so will most children and their parents. Every time I read it it cracks me up. You may unsubscribe at any time. I love this half-truth and half fantasy book.

Poor, misunderstood Ike has been sent off to the Igor Brotweiler Canine Academy by his harried owner Mrs. Gertrude R. LaRue. The concept is fun, but it''s a one-note joke that depends on a highly developed sense of irony to appreciate. Teague is at the top of his fetching form in this madcap comedy where the real world of Brotweiler Canine Academy and the one poor imprisoned Ike LaRue imagines are depicted side-by-side. COVID-19: Updates on library services and operations. How can this not be an enjoyable book?

Sincerely, The loyal and misunderstood, Ike LaRue P.S. The illustrations are great: in color for reality and the alternate scenes, as told by Ike the dog, are in black & white. Trust me when I tell you that I am being horribly mistreated here, and I grow sadder and lonelier (not to mention skinnier!)

This isa school for BAD DOGS, not good dogs like your dear old Ike Can somebody PLEASE tell Mrs LaRue to … Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 5, 2015, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 10, 2016, 骨をくわえながら手紙を綴っている犬の表紙に一目惚れして購入。楽しくてかわいい絵本です。, 10年以上前に雑貨屋さんで初めてみてほしいなあ、と思いましたが輸入物のため、かなり高価で断念してたのを発見。, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 22, 2014.