Don’t be shy about turning up the flame if it’s not crisping up the way you crave and be sure the pan is hot enough from the start. Let each side cook for about 2 minutes until distinct grill marks appear.

This method is very simple: Preheat broiler. A generous amount (2 to 3 tablespoons or so) will keep the tofu from sticking to the pan.

The tofu press that I have was only about $20 and totally worth it for me. Since tofu starts wet, it can take longer than you may expect to brown. The yellow color comes from adding in a little bit of turmeric to the pan. These 4 Varieties Are Basically Foolproof. Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the internet! If you’re new to cooking with tofu, mastering a few of these cooking methods will help you to see how amazing this food really is! The firmer the tofu, the better it’ll hold up to frying, grilling or sautéing. I’ve had mine for years, and it is by far my favorite kitchen tool. For all of these recipes today, we’re going to be using firm and extra-firm tofu which holds it’s shape much better than silken tofu and does a great job absorbing flavors. Leave that for 10 minutes and then tighten it a bit. See the video above to learn different ways to cut tofu. Place tofu on a parchment lined baking sheet, and spray lightly with cooking spray or oil. Watch carefully so that it doesn’t over cook. I use extra firm tofu on a weekly basis and am excited to share all of these recipe with you.

Cook for about 5-8 minutes on each side until it forms a nice and even crust. Most of us probably picture it in big white blocks, but there’s also silken tofu, which is softer and doesn’t maintain its shape as well. This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. I promise you’ll love it! Leave me a comment telling me how you’ve cooked tofu in the past! Check that out HERE. This is one of my new favorite ways to enjoy tofu!

I will walk to through each of them here and share a few of my favorite tofu recipes to get you started. Let’s face it, tofu does not have the best reputation in the culinary world.

Now, choose your favorite from the the following tofu cooking methods. Please read my disclosure policy. Type – Firm or Extra Firm, Time – Sauté – 15-20 minutes, Fry – 9-12 minutes and Scramble – 20-25 minutes, Draining – Required Pinit. I recently wrote a whole post rounding up my favorite tofu recipes. It’s high in iron, calcium, and magnesium and overall a great alternative to meat in a plant based diet. How do you cook tofu? Lovers of tofu know better, though. Place the tofu press on a rimmed surface to catch the excess liquid. Since I’m new to using my air fryer (I have THIS air fryer from Skinnytaste), I’m using a recipes from my friend Lindsay over at The Toasted Pine Nut. Start by filling a large skillet with oil so that there’s about 1/4 inch high in the pan and put over medium heat. Add enough oil to coat the entire bottom of the pan and heat the oil on medium heat. For more detailed directions on how to make this PERFECT crispy baked tofu, you can read the full recipe HERE. Step one, regardless of which of the above four methods you choose, is to press your tofu block. Getting rid of as much moisture as possible is absolutely key, so let’s start with the basics. The pieces may stick to the grill, so be delicate when flipping or removing them.

If you have time, let the tofu marinate for a few hours or overnight.

Cover any unused pieces in water and keep them in the fridge, changing the water every few days. How to cut tofu: tofu can be cut in any which way that you would like to cut it. Baked Tofu. If you’d like a slightly more detailed recipe, try my. This prevents the liquid from seeping out while the tofu cooks (which could ruin your meal) and also makes room for the tofu to soak up a flavorful marinade or broth. This method works best with a marinade that includes a bit of oil but you can use any marinade that you like! Heat about 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet and then cut your pressed tofu into chunks (big or small work here). You can pick up your own on Amazon. Softer tofu will be ready to use after a simple rinse, but firmer tofu needs to be pressed in order to release excess water.