Take the pan over to your sink and tilt it back and forth, hitting the bottom or sides as needed to shake up drifts of flour and send them to sparser areas. You can buy pre-cut parchment circles,  or grab some regular parchment paper and a pair of sharp scissors.

One bite and you'll see why this velvety beauty was named the best chocolate cake recipe won first prize. You can easily convert it into a great carrot cake recipe: just use grated carrots in place of pumpkin and add raisins. —Tammy Bollman, Minatare, NebraskaGet RecipeTaste of HomeCoconut Italian Cream CakeI’d never tasted an Italian cream cake before moving to Colorado.

(Note: Some recipes call for only greasing and flouring a pan, while some call for greasing and lining. Lemon juice and lemonade give the layers a tangy touch, and the cream cheese frosting with sprinkles makes it pretty. —Linda Yeamans, Ashland, OregonGet RecipeTaste of HomePumpkin Pie CakeNo one will guess this showstopper dessert with luscious cinnamon frosting starts with a mix! You may use cooking spray in place of butter, if you prefer. Take a spoonful of flour and hold it evenly over the pan. —Melissa Pelkey Hass, Waleska, GeorgiaGet RecipeButterscotch CakeI get lots of compliments and recipe requests whenever I make this eye-catching cake. Trace around the pan, and cut a circle slightly smaller than your line. —Edith Holmstrom, Madison, WisconsinGet RecipeTaste of HomePink Lemonade Stand CakeIf you love a moist and creamy cake, this is it. Ridges in silicone bakeware, like those found in a bundt cake pan, also increase the chances of sticking, as bits and pieces get stuck in the grooves. The flavor, a duet of sweet and tangy notes, really sings.

Flour will stick to the grease adding an extra layer of protection between pan and cake. Step 4: Grease (and flour) the lining.

—Judy Lamon, Louisville, TennesseeGet RecipeTaste of HomeCookies-and-Cream CakeIf you like cookies-and-cream ice cream, you'll love this cake. Don’t you mean WHY? (Spoiler alert: it takes more than just grease.).

You can lay the parchment flat under the pan.

The thin layer of frosting spread on the outside gives it a chic modern look. —Donna Bardocz, Howell, MichiganGet Recipe, Years ago, I drove 4-1/2 hours to a cake contest, holding my entry on my lap the whole way. I bake it often for family parties, and it always brings back fond memories.

I'm proud to say that this recipe won a blue ribbon in the holiday cake division at the 2006 Alaska State Fair. Sour cream and chocolate pudding make it rich and moist, and chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate make it decadent comfort food at its finest. Our Test Kitchen shares the secrets of how to grease a cake pan the proper way. —Nanette Slaughter, Sammamish, WashingtonGet RecipeTaste of HomeRich Chocolate Peanut Butter CakeThe combination of mocha and peanut butter will satisfy every sweet tooth at your table. Nonstick is actually a misnomer for silicone pans. If you’re using a spray, this step is simple: just liberally spray all over the pan. Shake your wrist to send the flour showering down into the pan. Nothing’s sadder than spoiling a gorgeous cake by turning the pan over and watching as only half comes out and the rest stays behind. But it paid off. I baked the first one for Christmas in 1963 when I found the recipe in the newspaper and my Mother kept the tradition going into the ’80s. —Kathleen Smith, Overland, MissouriGet RecipeTaste of HomeSouthern Lane CakeI just love this southern-style dessert, and so do dinner guests. (Who swipes a whole cake?) Now I bake for people in the area, and this beauty is one of my most requested treats. Be sure to give the pudding and the cake enough time to cool or the end results will be disappointing. My guests are glad I do! —Taste of Home Test KitchenGet RecipeTaste of HomeBlack Walnut Layer CakeMy sister gave me the recipe for this beautiful cake years ago. —Linda Murray, Allenstown, New HampshireGet RecipeTaste of HomeThree-Layer Chocolate Ganache CakeThis decadent triple-layer beauty is pure chocolate indulgence.

Not sure what kind of cake to make? Cream cheese is a good substitute if you don't have mascarpone cheese handy. —Diana Jennings, Lebanon, MissouriGet RecipeTaste of HomeFavorite Coconut CakeWhen I need an impressive dessert for a special occasion, this is the recipe I turn to. Cut, fold in half, then fold in half again. In short, whether or not you have to grease (or grease and flour) your cake pan really depends on the recipe you are making. It will slip out easily. After you bake, gently turn the pan over to release the cake.