Pour in the sugar and whisk for a minute or so to blend.

I think the reason mine took longer was that it was in such a small tin….

Pick up a copy of the issue for her recipe! Ingela’s mother, who taught her to make the cake in their native Sweden, said it came together so speedily that you could start mixing the batter the moment you spied visitors coming up the walk. copyright © 2020 everyday dorie. I wonder about tossing the chocolate in flour trick as well. 1/2 cup flavorless oil, such as canola. Whether you pack this cake as a gift or have it ready when visitors come to you, the imperative to share is implicit in its name. Put the batter in the loaf pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Inhale, Exhale and Repeat After Me! This easy step transfers everything essential from the lemon to the cake. The name charmed me.

The cake is easy to make (no machines needed) and, like all spice cakes, better after a day’s rest. I search for them casually in print and online, and relentlessly, determinedly and often shamelessly when I’m out, whether close to home or traveling. Your use of this website constitutes and manifests your acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy, Cookie Notification, and awareness of the California Privacy Rights. ½ teaspoon ground ginger Still using the whisk, gently stir the dry ingredients into the batter in two additions.

For an instant, I think the magic of the trick has vanished, but it never fails — it’s baked deep into the cake, waiting to surprise the visitor who takes the first slice. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Serves 8.

“I love it for … any time you want to make a big group of people happy.” —Amy Traverso.

Enter your email address to subscribe to Eva Bakes and receive notifications of new posts by email. My lemon-spice visiting cake is one I bake regularly. A 9×5-inch loaf pan would be better to bake the cake. Using your fingers, rub the sugar and zest together until the mixture is moist and aromatic.

There’s also the lemon trick, which involves nothing more than grating the zest over the sugar and reaching into the bowl to rub the two ingredients together. And when I say “beloved,” I’m not exaggerating: There’s a whole section of Instagram, not to mention the blogosphere, devoted to cooking recipes from her many books, the most recent of which is Everyday Dorie. The cake, protected by a tea towel and nestled in a basket, was given to me by its baker, Ingela Helgesson, a woman I’d talked with now and then at a local farm store in Connecticut. Whisk in the juice, followed by the heavy cream. This was finally the year that Dorie’s Perfect Party Cake would be made. Do not sell my personal information. Not there. Used a bigger pan, cooked longer, frozen chocolate hard to cut and my pieces sunk to the bottom. Refresh your page, login and try again.

Photograph by Gentl and Heyers; food styling by Maggie Ruggiero; prop styling by Amy Wilson, This article first appeared in the New York Times Magazine.