It is an indigestible part of plants that cannot be found in animal products and most processed foods, but which is crucial to our health and ability to digest food properly. Overall, it’s a good idea to get a few books like How Not To Die, The Starch Solution and The China Study to learn more about the health aspects of a vegan diet. My family thinks I’m crazy.

Contrastingly, organizations such as Heart Foundation and Blood Pressure UK recommend increasing vegetable, fruit, nuts and whole-grain intake to assist with blood pressure levels.

Start adding foods to your diet before you subtract all of the animal products at once. And thank you for sharing your journey from being vegan to eating meat. This worries me. B12 is an essential vitamin, and its deficiency can cause numerous irreparable damages in the body. I. Hi The assumption was that it would taste terrible," Mills recalls.

One thing led to another and I was eventually diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2012. If I eat a brand like Olive Garden Italian am I ruining my whole diet.

You must ensure that you are consuming a proper 2000 calories diet even while eating a plant-based diet.

That could account for the weight gain and tiredness. You will constantly be nourished and that’s a good thing and something you should always be willing to share, but never preach.

All have improved significantly to my surprise ,apart from my ferritin so now I need to add iron supplements. Not so much.. Adapting to your new diet can mean some pretty big changes in where you get your nutrition from. Those who follow plant-based diets have previously been found to experience improved mood states. I continued on the vegan path even after my diagnosis and treatment, thinking if I just tried harder or got more restrictive, then I would be healthy. According to cholesterol charity Heart UK, butter, cheese, milk, yogurt, and meat all increase cholesterol levels. Although you could live off of vegan convenience food like pasta marinara, sandwiches, and cookies… it won’t bring you many benefits and you’ll likely end up as we described above. Whereas it’s easy to lose weight in an enjoyable way on a plant-based diet, undereating is not the way to go. Feel free to get in touch if you need further support! Epub 2017 Jul 28. By following a vegan diet, you can save 1,100 gallons of water every day. When I made the switch to a vegan diet, I felt lighter and more full of energy within the first week. 1. Legumes such as peas, beans, and lentils. We need to understand that eating animals is such a deeply ingrained social norm that not everyone can see it’s wrong. Been plant based 6 weeks now, have more energy than ever before. What was even more fun was seeing a major reduction in inflammation & bloat 3 weeks in. 2013 Aug 15;93(10):2362-71. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6179. Find out which foods work well for you, drink enough, and move your body to encourage proper digestion. The people who you admire might have been on a vegan diet for many years or they never ate many junk foods anyway.