In 1940, she joined the NAACP. About the EllaBaker Center. The campaign once known as Let's Get Free became Silence the Violence, a youth-led campaign based on the idea that increased opportunity for young people can bring peace to Oakland streets, not more policing or incarceration. The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights continues her work today. Diane Nash, a prominent member of the Civil Rights Movement, said, “I could count on Ms. Baker to be truthful. The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights advances racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In my time working on the Green Collar Jobs Campaign, I have been given much responsibility and asked to take on many tasks, but the staff are always there to answer any questions, and offer me support whenever needed. [4], Third Eye Movement spent its first few years working on local issues, including the police murder of Sheila Detoy.[7].

Unite prosecutors, judges, business leaders and teachers calling for reform. She traveled all over the country, trying to convince people that they deserved a voice. Night Out for Safety and Liberation brings communities across the country together to work toward a world beyond police, prisons and punishment. Baker resigned her post at the NAACP in 1946, but she still maintained her passion for advancing the Civil Rights Movement. But prisons, policing, and punishment-based approaches make us less safe, and prevent people of color and low-income communities from influencing policies that impact our lives. To get involved and put the vision laid out in the book to practice, become a member of the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights. Communities face struggling schools, family separation, and a lack of opportunities as a direct result of being disproportionately policed and punished. In a world where resources are invested in growth and support instead of punishment and prisons we will all be able to reach our full potential. Heal the Streets is a new ten-month fellowship program that trains Oakland teens (ages 15 – 18) to develop and advocate for policies that bring peace and hope to their city's streets.[1].

Working with the Ella Baker Center changed my life. Helping to run the Young Negroes Cooperative League, and other organizations, for a few years, gave Baker the training she needed for the coming Civil Rights Movement. 04/10/2009.

Mission: The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights organizes with Black, Brown, and low-income people to shift resources away from prisons and punishment and towards opportunities that make our communities safe, healthy, and strong.. Target demographics: Black, Brown, and low-income communities, and individuals directly impacted by incarceration. A portion of these funds will create special paid internships for Green Jobs Corps graduates in renewable energy and energy efficiency. John Hope Franklin, a member of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, called Baker, “probably the most courageous and the most selfless” of the activists in the 1960s.

Library of Congress A formal portrait of Ella Baker, circa 1942-1946. The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights developed as an offshoot from Bay Area PoliceWatch, a 1995 project by the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights. I believe that every person has the right to safety, dignity, equality, and self-determination. The toolkit is now being used to replicate comprehensive green jobs worldwide. [16], Books Not Bars works to close California’s current youth prison system and replace it with effective, rehabilitative alternatives and community-based centers. The need for assistance was great, so Bay Area PoliceWatch quickly outgrew the space. Named after civil rights hero Ella Baker, we organize with Black, Brown, and low-income people to build power and prosperity in our communities . Hip Hop News and the FNV Newsletter said in December 2000, "Third Eye Movement was one of the leading Hip Hop organizations here in the Bay that helped led [sic] the fight against California's infamous Prop 21 [Juvenile Crime Bill]. [13] Books Not Bars campaigned to change the whole system of warehouse-like prisons, arguing to reduce the youth population and quickly get youths back to their communities. Following graduation, Baker moved to New York City. [1] A formal portrait of Ella Baker, circa 1942-1946. Born on December 13, 1903 in Norfolk, Virginia, Ella Jo Baker was an important behind-the-scenes civil and human rights activist. Her contacts within the NAACP proved to be a valuable resource as the freedom movement garnered momentum. Offer new leadership. Lead community service and community solutions programs. Our new report lays out a roadmap of alternative responses centered in racial equity, healing and empowerment. Who Pays? I started volunteering with the Ella Baker Center and met three incredible women doing extremely important work.

An early SCLC member said of King’s behavior that it was just a consequence of his time and circumstance: “unless someone was male and a member of the inner circle of the church, it could be difficult to overcome the preacher ego.”. Approach: The Center sought Full Circle Fund’s assistance to develop and launch the Oakland Green Jobs Corps city-wide job training and paid internship program that prepares low- income and at-risk youth for careers in the green and clean tech industries. "[9][10] Due in part to this movement,[citation needed] Bay Area counties were the only ones in the state to reject Proposition 21 in March 2000, but it passed statewide, part of a national wave of increasing penalties for crimes that has contributed to over-incarceration in the United States. I got to help do research for their campaign against Prop 6, and in doing so I learned a lot about California politics, the prison-industrial complex, and issues facing families of incarcerated youth.