Our Baby Namer - Origin and Meaning of Baby Names, Books, Gifts. This top 250 contender has enjoyed a rank in the top 500 since 1880, when the Social Security Administration began keeping records. Etty, You can generate ideas on the fly, and want recognition for your efforts. Intriguingly (and, for me, this is the most compelling connection) Ishtar was associated closely with the planet Venus.

Don’t forget to tag your friends. It ranks at #, Data from the 1881 UK census (see image, right) demonstrates that Esther remained common in the North of England, but, when population size is taken into account and filtered per 100,000 people, its clear that it was popular in more rural areas, such as. In Biblical Greek Esther became Ἐσθήρ (Esthḗr) and Hestera in Biblical Latin. I like this name with the diminutives Essie, Essa, Ettie and Etta. Esther, are you proud of your name? [Smith-Bannister has Easter ranking separately at #41 for girls in both 1670-9 and 1690-1700.] Your most likely vocation: musician, artist, writer, designer, teacher, commentator, salesman, occultist. The name Esther means Star Or Myrtle Leaf and is of Persian origin. Baby names popularity and trends in the acclaimed interactive graph of baby name popularity. Esther is gorrrrrrgeous! ), You can customize by clicking on the images below. 1 being the highest and most popular, 66358 being the lowest and least used. Ishtar was the Akkadian goddess of love, beauty, fertility, war, combat and political power and was equated with the Sumerian goddess Inanna. © 2020 Everything Birthday. Esther's average ranking is 318.4, with it's highest ever rank being #. Most Biblical and Jewish scholars alike doubt the Book of Esther's historical veracity. It only left the top 100 after 1914.

One of the major female figures in the Bible, quiet, studious Esther was in the Top 50 a hundred years ago and stayed in the Top 100 until 1935. I pronounce my name Es-star, I think it was meant to be pronounce Es-T-er but I like the star in my name therefore I introduce myself Es-star. Haman is linked to the god Humman and Vashti to the goddess Mashti. And if you pronounce it as Ester, it just makes me think of chemical compounds and Easter. From the latter came the variant Hester and both Esther and Hester came into use as a given name in the 16th century in Britain and steadily began to rise.. Smith Bannister's popularity rankings from 1538 to 1700 has Esther first ranking in the top 50 in England from 1610, reaching #25 by 1690-1700: You may seem quiet, shy, or reserved, but all they have to do is ask, and you’ll participate. Origin of the name Esther: Popular name of debated origin and meaning. Esther became a popular girl’s name in the state of North Dakota in the year 1915. url = url.replace( /#/, "" ); Those people are now 102 years old. As Hebrew Bible Professor Sidnie White Crawford points out: "The message of the Book of Esther, a work of historical fiction written in the diaspora in the late Persian-early Hellenistic period (fourth century b.c.e. (French) Love the meaning and the biblical story behind it. There's a character named Esther in one of my favorite anime. You cleverly view a situation at different angles. These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Esther. It has been suggested that Eshtar derives from a form of 'Attar, a male deity known from Ugaritic and South Arabian inscriptions [...] The corresponding female forms are 'Attart/'Ashtart. Esther is a Biblical name made famous by a prominent female figure whose story is told in eponymous Book of Esther. Remember, this is purely just for fun. The somewhat popular name Esther was the 153rd Most Popular Girls Name in the United States in 2018.

Esther is pretty different from what I usually like, but is the only "old-lady" name that I truly love. Estee, I also think it's pretty and has a rich history. Your first name is more than just a name! Some believe it to be the Persian translation of the Hebrew name Hadassah (myrtle); others think it is derived from the Persian stara (star). Essie ... You can use our Sibling name generator to find matching brother and sister names for the name Esther.

As queen, Esther risked her life to save her people from being exterminated throughout the Persian Empire. window.location=permalink+"?pintix=1"; Estzer, Esther has been used in the United States ever since 1880, with over 261325 girls given the name in the past 200 years. In any year, the least number of babies named Esther was 189 in 1881. Using the UN World Population Prospects for 2019, that’s more than enough Esthers to occupy the country of Sao Tome and Principe with an estimated population of 213,379. How popular is Esther? } * Esther Brann (1899–1998), American children’s author and illustrator. Discover our cool and original products with a first name (or even your nickname! Methodology. Hadassah was an orphaned Jewish girl who lived under the protection of her cousin Mordecai. Esther has Persian roots and a strong religious backstory. Esther became a popular girl’s name in the state of North Dakota in the year 1915. * Esther "Esti" Ginzburg (born1990), Israeli fashion model.

I really like the name Esther, it's pretty and has style. Would you like to follow Esther? The name first appeared in the year 1880 and given to 198 newborn babies. Esther (feminine) Esther (masculine) Year : Rank : Percent Used : Rank : Percent Used Where is the name Esther popularity headed? A total of 3,606 babies also bear the same first name during that year in the U.S. From 1880 to 2018, the highest recorded use of this name was in 1918 with a total of 6,574 babies. Your heart’s desire is to become a leader. * Esther Pohl Lovejoy (1869–1967), American physician and public health pioneer. Questions or Comments? Please note, we update the data each May when the SSA releases new figures. | UK Birth Announcements 28/5/18 - 3/6/18 ». Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. It became a popular name in the year 1882 with a rank of #97 nationwide and was registered 266 times as a baby girl’s name. In the Hebrew Bible, Esther—whose Hebrew name was Hadassah (“myrtle”)—was a young Jewish woman married to the Persian king, Ahasuerus. Madonna adopted Esther as her Kaballah name. Esther itself ranked at #7 in Redmonds chart for Halifax 1590-91 (11 baptisms), while it was joint 22nd place (1 baptism) in Leeds and not present at all on Smith-Bannister's top 50 table for 1590-99 across the whole of England. As Paul Collins states in The Sumerian Goddess Inanna (3400-2200 BC): "The name of the goddess Eshtar (later Ishtar) occurs as elements in both Presargonic and Sargonic personal names. Known Nicknames for Esther. You are expressive, optimistic, outgoing, and inspiring. Hettie, Currently, the name is at a low point when compared to its most popular year. Lighter colors indicate higher percentages and popularity, while lower colors indicate less popularity. View Sitemap.

People who like the name Esther also like: Grace, Abigail, Charlotte, Amelia, Elizabeth, Ruth, Violet Esther is a form of Hadassah and is generally pronounced like "ES ter". It remained in the top 50 for most of the 19th century, gradually declining as the century progressed. The two names, Smith Bannister's popularity rankings from 1538 to 1700 has Esther first ranking in the top 50 in England from, Something that muddies the waters however is the use of the name, Esther's star, however, continued to rise. When she became a candidate to be the king's wife, she was advised by Mordecai to keep her Jewish identity a secret, and so adopted the Persian name of Esther.

It ranked #6 with 152 babies. var query = window.location.search.substring(1); Esther has also been linked to the Hebrew word sether meaning "a covering, hiding place, secrecy"* but this is most likely a meaning attributed to her thanks to her identity being "hidden" in the story. The name Esther is a girl's name of Persian origin meaning "star". It has been suggested that Eshtar derives from a form of 'Attar, a male deity known from Ugaritic and South Arabian inscriptions [...] The corresponding female forms are 'Attart/'Ashtart. Esti, Smith Bannister's popularity rankings from 1538 to 1700 has Esther first ranking in the top 50 in England from 1610, reaching #25 by 1690-1700:1610-9: #39; 1620-9: #41; 1630-9: #35; 1640-9: #37; 1650-9: #35; 1660-9: #47; 1670-9: #29; 1680-9: #34; 1690-1700: #25. Not a fan, even though Sylvia Plath used it for the protagonist in her, heavily autobiographical, novel. I love it. An anagram is a word that contains the same letters of another word. To rate names on Nameberry, please register for an account or log in to an existing account. Esther's star, however, continued to rise. This girl was certainly not to be messed with, as Bettany Hughes illustrates in her documentary Venus Uncovered: It is often pointed out how similar the names Esther and Mordecai are to Ishtar and Marduk - a Mesopotamian god who was the patron deity of the city of Babylon. As queen, Esther risked her life to save her people from being exterminated throughout the Persian Empire. 123 Popular Girl Names That Start With A Vowel Middle Names Baby Girls 2019 Top 1000+ Baby Names. Usage: In Biblical Greek Esther became Ἐσθήρ (Esthḗr) and Hestera in Biblical Latin. Essy, I've always been torn on my opinion of Esther. POPULARITY: 374 Esther has Persian roots and a strong religious backstory. This would apparently account for the dual personality of Ishtar as a goddess of love (female) and of war (male). Ultimately, it's not for me, but I'd always love to see real life Esther name sightings! (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Czech, Scandinavian), Martha     Georgina     Miriam     Susanna     Margot      Alexandra, Charles     Andrew     Robert     Hugo     Theodore     Nicholas, UK Birth Announcements 28/5/18 - 3/6/18 », Name Help: Twin Siblings for Emily and William. It’s a name commonly given to girls. Esther is a name that's been used primarily by parents who are considering baby names for girls. Data from the 1881 UK census (see image, right) demonstrates that Esther remained common in the North of England, but, when population size is taken into account and filtered per 100,000 people, its clear that it was popular in more rural areas, such as Carmarthenshire in Wales, the Isle of Man or Caithness in the Highlands of Scotland. Here is the list of first names which are an anagram of Esther : Eshter, Estehr, Hester, Tesher, Theres, Therés, United states of america France Professor Economist, United states of america Actor Television actor Film actor Swimmer Autobiographer, Kingdom of the netherlands Writer Teacher Biographer Diarist, United states of america Politician Prosecutor Lawyer, France Actor Composer Singer Songwriter Art model Stage actor Film actor, United states of america Film actor Recording artist Actor Composer Singer Record producer Songwriter Rapper, United kingdom Businessperson Politician Television presenter, Kingdom of the netherlands Basketball player Wheelchair tennis player, All information about the baby names on this website come from various official data and open data(more information about our sources)   -  0.34 sec.