In the late 1920s, HBM&S invested in a railway, mine, smelter, and a hydroelectric power plant at Island Falls, Saskatchewan. Flin Flon's only mine slated to close by 2021, future of 800 jobs uncertain. For Canada Post purposes, residents in the Saskatchewan portion of the city retain the local Manitoba R8A postal code, and often use a Flin Flon, MB address. [22], Sphalerite concentrate is produced and processed on-site to produce zinc, while chalcopyrite concentrate is produced and sold for external copper production, a result of the closure of the Hudbay smelter in July 2010. The entire operation was situated approximately 120 metres underground for security and climate control reasons. This course is presented in four sections. In the late 1920s, HBM&S invested in a railway, mine, smelter, and a hydroelectric power plant at Island Falls, Saskatchewan.

Flin Flon, MB A statue representing Flinty was designed by cartoonist Al Capp and is one of the points of interest of the city. Temperatures in July have an average high of 24.1 °C (75.4 °F) and an average low of 13.6 °C (56.5 °F). As captain of the team, he led the Philadelphia Flyers to two NHL Stanley Cup championships in the 1970s, and was a star on the 1972 Team Canada Summit Series roster. The city operates Flin Flon Airport, which is located southeast of the city, immediately west of the Bakers Narrows Provincial Park. The character of "Flinty", as he is locally known, is of such importance to the identity of the city that the local Chamber of Commerce commissioned the minting of a $3.00 coin which was considered legal tender amongst locally participating retailers during the year following its issue. It is open from June thru August, weather permitting.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the following... Northern Neighbours Foundation and the Moffat Family - Water Stations and both the Whitney Forum and the Sportex, Royal Bank Cup Fund - 100% of the equipment purchased for 5/6 year olds For example, a resident in the Saskatchewan section of the city who calls 911 in an emergency will have services dispatched from Creighton rather than Flin Flon, and must instead call a regular phone number to receive immediate city-based service. "City of Flin Flon Website - Administration", "NDP's Georgina Jolibois wins in Desnethé-Missinippi-Churchill River", Community Profile: Flin Flon (part), Manitoba; Statistics Canada, Community Profile: Flin Flon (part), Saskatchewan; Statistics Canada, Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Flin_Flon&oldid=987875012, Volcanogenic massive sulfide ore deposits, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles lacking reliable references from August 2020, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. The current Member of the Legislative Assembly is NDP Tom Lindsey, who was re-elected in the 2019 election. We request that all members of FFMHA read and sign the document and have it returned by registration. We have an exceptional team in Manitoba who have proven their ability to overcome challenging situations time and time again, and I am confident they will remedy this challenging situation safely and efficiently,” Hudbay president and CEO Peter Kukielski said in a press release. No injuries have been reported by the company.... Jump to.

In 2018, Flin Flon ranked second in the country, only following Winnipeg, for the number of free events (including concerts, workshops, artist talks and kids' activities) offered to community members and visitors. The 2016 census reported 4,982 residents in the Manitoba portion and 203 in the Saskatchewan section; the Manitoba portion has a land area of 13.88 km2 (5.4 sq mi), while the Saskatchewan portion has a land area of 2.37 km2 (0.91 sq mi). [10] The coldest temperature ever recorded was −51 °F (−46.1 °C) on 15 January 1930.

“This was an unfortunate event, but we are thankful there were no injuries and that our safety protocols were closely followed. Image from Hudbay Minerals.

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

Required fields are marked *. [23] Although processing of any sulphide material usually emits large amounts of sulfur dioxide, the Hudbay plant uses a zinc pressure leaching (ZPL) process which greatly reduces emissions. The Codes of Conducts are standards that FFMHA has outlined the behaviour with which we wish all members act during such events. Preorders start today, official release in early…, Flin Flon Minor Hockey Spirit Wear Orders, Sport Life Introduction - Long Term Development In Sport and Activity, This website is powered by SportsEngine's. [5] Electrical service is received from Manitoba Hydro for both the Manitoba and Saskatchewan parts of the city.[5]. Culture Days, a national festival celebrating arts and culture, is a popular event in Flin Flon. [24][irrelevant citation]. There is a wide range in seasonal temperatures, with warm summers and bitterly cold winters. Many of these are used as ad-hoc sidewalks. The city council consists of a mayor and six councillors who are elected and serve a term of four years. Who would You pick pick to Win this game, and represent their city, fan base, league…, RT @12Yeager: Last night our two atom girls suited up in the Dayna Brons memorial dressing room for the first time. Canadian Tire - Hockey Equipment The rail line to Churchill was washed out in June 2017 and remained out of service for over a year when then-owner Omnitrax refused to repair it.

A significant number of farmers abandoned their farms and were amongst those looking for work. Flin Flon, Manitoba, is in the federal riding of Churchill-Keewatinook Aski. [26], Flin Flon is the fictional home of the comic book superhero Captain Canuck. The current council was elected on October 24, 2018, and consists of the following members: Flin Flon is in the southwest corner of the Manitoba provincial electoral district of the same name, and is the only urban centre within the district. Flin Flon (pop. Flin Flon was founded in 1927 by Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting (now Hudbay) to exploit the large local copper and zinc ore resources. Sections of this page.
The company set up operations in a mined-out area of the then-active Trout Lake Mine, an underground copper/zinc mine located just over 5km northeast of Flin Flon city limits and owned by the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Company (later Hudbay) to produce approximately 400 kilograms (882 lbs) of medicinal marijuana annually. When you have completed the entire course and passed each learning assessment, you will be able to download/print a Certificate of Completion and obtain NCCP professional development points (worth 1 credit). The Saskatchewan portion of Flin Flon is in the electoral district of Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River, whose current Member of Parliament is Conservative Gary Vidal.

When Tom Creighton discovered a high-grade exposure of copper, he thought of the book and called it Flin Flon's mine, and the town that developed around the mine adopted the name. Flin Flon shares the distinction of being named after a character in an adventure novel with Tarzana, California. This one is for all the Virtual Marbles in the Junior A world.
Other NHLers hailing from Flin Flon include Ken Baird, Ken Baumgartner, Matt Davidson, Kim Davis, Dean Evason, Al Hamilton, Ted Hampson (who was the second player to ever receive the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy), Gerry Hart, Ron Hutchinson, George Konik, Ray Maluta, Tom Gilmore, Dunc McCallum, Eric Nesterenko, Mel Pearson, Reid Simpson, David Struch, and Ernie Wakely. They will also be ending exploration spending around Flin Flon this year. Hudbay has confirmed plans to shut down 777 mine and the Flin Flon mill, zinc plant and oxygen plant in April 2022.