I have a cousin who worked as a volunteer firefighter, and both my grandmother and my great aunt did not feel safe until they knew that he was safe.

Not particularly well written, characters are all quite one dimensional, which is surprising as they are actually real people.

My goodness, imagine what the world would be like if all people took care of each other the way the citizens of Gander, Newfoundland took care of grounded air passengers on 9/11/01.

On September 11, 2001, approximately 10,000 residents of Gander, Newfoundland opened their schools, shelters, churches, homes, and hearts to 6,595 passengers and crew members of 39 planes forced to land due to the closing of U.S. airspace. Photos. Unable to get off their planes for many hours, hungry and uncomfortable and with babies crying, these people, once allowed to disembark, were welcomed with open arms and generous hearts by the citizens of Gander and surrounding towns. As someone with a huge imagination, after 9/11 I haven’t flown much in the last eighteen years and still get nervous if an immediate family member is in the air, even if the statistics show that it’s safer than driving. See all 8 questions about The Day the World Came to Town…, Popsugar 2020 - A Book Set in a Country Beginning with “C”, 102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers, Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest, [pb]The Day the World Came to town, by Jim DeFede, 4.5 stars, [Poll Ballot] The Day the World Came to Town by Jim DeFede 5 Stars, (POLL BALLOT) The Day the World Came To Town / Jim DeFede - 3***, [Poll Book Tally] The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede 4 stars, (Poll Ballot) The Day the World Came to Town: 0/11 in Gander, Newfoundland - Jim DeFede, Goodreads Members Suggest: 32 ‘Vacation’ Reads. – abhängig vom Lieferort. It details how many, many people found themselves stranded in Newfoundland for several days as a result of their flights being grounded following the terrible events of 9/11. As the passengers stepped from the airplanes, exhausted, hungry and distraught after being held on board for nearly 24 hours while security checked all of the baggage, they were greeted with a feast prepared by the townspeople. They offered rides, showers, food, friendship, clothing, toys, towels, sheets, toiletries, and Screeching-in ceremonies.

Overall it is not one of THE BEST books I have ever read, but it is defiantly good and worth a read. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. No one had to sell me on the character of the Newfies. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 29, 2019. The citizens of Gander met the stranded passengers with an overwhelming display of friendship and goodwill. I have a cousin who worked as a volunteer firefighter, and both my grandmother and my great aunt did. Außerdem analysiert es Rezensionen, um die Vertrauenswürdigkeit zu überprüfen. Here the generous Newfoundlanders get due recognition. This book was a painful read. Der Verkaufspreis wurde vom Verlag festgesetzt. #NeverForget #PayitForward911 “The message of this book is very important because our world is divided, with an increase in hatred and intolerance.

It almost restores faith in humanity -- or, at the very least gives me a greater appreciation for our Canadian 'neighbors to the north'. The Day the World Came to Town is a positively heartwarming account of the citizens of Gander and its surrounding communities and the unexpected guests who were welcomed with exemplary kindness. Reviewed in the United States on January 3, 2017.

This is the true story of neighbors being neighborly, going above and beyond, and proving there is still goodness in the world. I’ll bet some of them returned; it seems like such a wonderful place that I want to go there myself someday! Whether it is reading books (this year I read.

For details, please see the Terms & Conditions associated with these promotions. American airspace was closed due to the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and Tuerff's Air France flight was redirected to Gander, Newfoundland or "Terre-Neuve".