Liam Guilar mounts a trenchant and amusing argument in defence of Campbell on his blog. Notes:Aibheall: (EE-val) The name of the queen of the northern fairiesleanbhan: (LYAN-uh-van) Little child, babyTearmann: (CHAR-uh-muhn) Sanctuary, refuge, or church land, name of village near Lough GartanSiabra: (SHEE-vra) a prankster class of trooping fairies, also spelled Shefro or Siofra. Thanks for the info. Meaning of gartan. Siabhra ? "Do me a favour" is Cockney, and was meant to convey that my comment was humorous. The song is a lullaby by a mother, from the parish of Gartan in County Donegal. Dear Alice I got into Mudcat and checked out a few songs, very useful. Does anyone else think it's strange? Word: tearmann (CHAR-uh-muhn) [t'[email protected]@n], tearmann éan (... AY-uhn) [... e:n] = bird sanctuary teach tearmainn (CHAKH CHAR-uh-mwihn) [t'aex t'[email protected]@n'] = house of refuge faoina dtearmann (FWEE-nuh JAR-uh-muhn) [fi:[email protected] d'[email protected]@n] = under their patronage or protection.

I am hoping he becomes a member and participates in the discussion.

Thanks a lot. In 1906 he wrote, "all things on earth to me are known, for I have the gift of the Murrain stone" ( a "magic" hollow stone from which cattle would be made to drink in the hope of preventing them catching the deadly disease, murrain). I hope new readers will agree. Joseph Campbell (Seosamh MacCathmhaoil) was a Belfast Catholic, born into a family of road-builders in 1879. Did you know that Gartan means "little garden", Tearmann (Termon in English), a village a few miles north of Lough Gartan, means "sanctuary" (or church) land. It’s less successful as poetry, and is omitted from some versions.

As in The Piper, the use of proper nouns, though naming mythological characters in this instance, brings an unforced authenticity: they are presented without a flourish, merely as part of an intimately known if supernatural landscape. I'm not sure if the Starry Boig is an actual or imaginary place name. I hope that, whether you come to this poem familiar with its musical setting, or are reading it for the first time, you will share my enjoyment of Campbell’s language, and go on to discover more of his vigorous achievement. Wavestar, I think there is a midi in the database along with lyrics. The first two verses are about nature and fairies and a ban-shee....and then the third one brings in a chapel and hymns. Faintly sweet doth the chapel bellRing o’er the valley dim:Tearmann’s peasant-voices swellIn fragrant evening hymn.A leanbhan O, the low bell ringsMy little lamb to restAnd angel-dreams, till morning singsIts music in your breast. The song refers to a number of figures in Irish mythology, places in Ireland and words in the Irish language. Hughes collected the trad melody in Donegal (of which I am a native) the previous year and Campbell wrote the lyrics. leanbhan - (LYAN-uh-van) Meaning: little child, baby Tearmann - (CHAR-uh-muhn) Meaning: tearmann = sanctuary, refuge, or church land, name of village near Lough Gartan Siabra - (SHEE-vra) a prankster class of trooping fairies, also spelled Shefro or Siofra.

I honestly think that the song was first written in English. "The most famous Banshee of ancient times was that attached to the kingly house of O'Brien, Aibhill, who haunted the rock of Craglea above Killaloe, near the old palace of Kincora. He is sometimes called Fear-Liath, or the Grey Man. In A.D. 1014 was fought the battle of Clontarf, from which the aged king, Brian Boru, knew that he would never come away alive, for the previous night Aibhill had appeared to him to tell him of his impending fate." I retired from my job as a librarian a few years ago and spend a lot of my time researching this sort of stuff. I'm from the townland of Crockglass in Inishowen. Did you know that he lectured at Fordham Uni (NY) for ten years in the 20s and 30s? Later on when she is older she will realize that one of her relatives owns part of the lake in the song. ', 'It was a year or two before the troubles that my father, dodging about in his boat, thinking to run to Baile-Mairge, for it was winter time, saw it between him and the setting sun, like a wreath of smoke passing over the water. "Gartan Mother's Lullaby" is an old Irish song and poem written by Herbert Hughes and Seosamh Mac Cathmhaoil, first published in Songs of Uladh [Ulster] in 1904. quote: "You're welcome to use any info from me, it's all in the public domain anyway. My surname is 3rd most common in Donegal and 20th in Ireland so there are a lot of us about! Originally written as a folk song, with Herbert Hughes, figures from Irish mythology are used here to weave a fresh, beguiling spell, Last modified on Wed 21 Aug 2019 08.05 EDT.

When I sing the song to my grandaughter it really means something to me.

I was tempted by all of them. But it seems to me that the third stanza may be an attempt at Christianising a pagan cosmology. Faintly sweet doth the chapel bell, ring o'er the valley dim Tearmann's peasant voices swell, in fragrant evening hymn A leanbhan O, the low bell rings, my little lamb to rest And angel-dreams till morning sings, its music in your breast. I suspect they may have a hidden meaning so I have sent a request to my relative to look for some local folklore books that may explain them. He later emigrated to the US, where he died in 1944. Mrs. S.C. Hall has recorded a typical one. His other best known song is of course "My Lagan Love". "Gartan Mother's Lullaby" is an old Irish song and poem written by Herbert Hughes and Seosamh Mac Cathmhaoil, first published in Songs of Uladh [Ulster] in 1904. 'And who knows' says he in conclusion, 'what might happen if the Grey man comes to pay us another visit?' Green Man's Thorn - Could be a hill, mountain or place ? The song was sung by Meryl Streep, and quite hauntingly, too. The song is a lullaby by a mother, from the parish of Gartan in County Donegal.

It's on a double CD- "Irish Cream, the Great Singers & Songs of Ireland, 1913-1955". Subject: RE: Gartan Mother's Lullaby - another verse From: Jimmy C Date: 03 Dec 00 - 11:50 PM Alice/Animaterra. A wonderful collection......", Still waiting to see if John joins us. After all, C. S. Lewis, the Christian apologist, wrote the Chronicles Of Narnia. He stands out from the other minor writers of his time and place, finding ways to sharpen and re-present the matter of Ireland without falling too deep into sentimentality or tub-thumping. A leanbhan O, my child, my joy, my own, my heart's Desire, The crickets sing you lullaby, beside the dying fire. I always felt the lullaby was not long enough. Sleep, O babe, for the red bee hums the silent twilight's fall Eeval from the grey rock comes to wrap the world in thrall A lyan van o, my child, my joy, my love and heart's desire The crickets sing you lullaby beside the dying fire Thanks for a great 3rd verse. the Grey Man's Path and the fisher people dwelling about these coasts tell some wonderful stories of the Genius that is supposed to make it his highway to the sea in his daily journeys from Cuil-na-locha inland. =======. It just seems weird, like the song originally had only the first two verses and then someone decided it had to have a Christian verse in order to make it acceptable.