Conversely, alcohol can be toxic to the body and has a number of potential, adverse side effects. Botanical name: Echinacea angustifolia. One of the most prevalent alcoholic bases for tinctures is vodka. I’ve been trying to find out why, and I believe it’s the alcohol content, so that might be something.

As you note, the common approach is to use ethanol and water. I’ve been wondering about the differences…, and now I know. For instance, it doesn’t extract resins and mucilage (sticky herbs like mullein) very well. If you do this, then you don’t have to strip the solvent off, so you don’t lose the aroma compounds…except: some of the aroma compounds present in vanilla extract are not present in the vanilla beans; they are formed by chemical reaction between the beans and the alcohol. Get the latest updates on new products and upcoming sales. If you want to use glycerin, make sure it’s labeled food grade. As for diabetics and others who struggle with blood sugar, glycerin is a safe alternative to alcohol.

Although sweet, it contains no sugar and has a low GI index unlike alcohol.

i just go for the least processed and balance enough of the non-raw intake to a point where i can still run through my week energised. From there it is bottled as a single herb extract or blended with other tinctures to form a compound product. This process has little to no effect on the usability of the herbs. Some research even suggests this substance can have an anti-oxidizing effect on the body. Change this sentence and title from admin Theme option page. This biological sterilization can virtually wipe out the usability of an herb’s components.

I only link to products and services that I love - and that I think you will love, too! Department of the Interior. Alcohol and glycerin both preserve herbal constituents, but they do it differently.

You get the benefit of all the reactions between the beans and the alcohol, but with much more flavor per unit alcohol.

The best non-alcoholic vanilla extracts In the U.S. you will have to look for vanilla flavoring, since it … I made a batch of raw chocolate that tasted AWFUL…and the culprit was that I had accidentally used vanilla with alcohol instead of alcohol-free. Purchase only 100% vegetable glycerin for your tincture making. It’s fun, it’s interesting, and it’s a good way to learn more about the chemistry that’s going on behind the scenes when you make herbal extracts. When it comes to herbicides and pesticides, glycerin made from organic materials is readily available. 6 Simple Steps to Make a Heavenly Albizia Glycerite | indieherbalist, Weaker isn’t necessarily a drawback (may be better for children or elderly). You'll be receiving an email shortly. It can be diluted with 3 parts of water and used to capture a more water-soluble phytochemical profile. But technically, for chemistry purposes, it’s an alcohol. Whereas, the glycerin wont release as much smell because it does not evaporate nearly as much, but the “vanilla molecules” are still very present in the liquid form.

Vinegar does not dissolve plant constituents as well as alcohol, but it is tolerable by most people ... including alcoholics and helps regulate the acid/alkaline balance in our bodies. My three favorites (and the ones I used to double check my info when I wrote this article) are, A Clinical Guide to Blending Liquid Herbs, Medical Herbalism: The Science and Practice of Herbal Medicine.

A good strong herbal tincture is some of the best medicine available. Great hub site.

Not to mention, alcohol has no nutritional value and doesn’t benefit the human body in any way. Alcohol, or more specifically ethanol, has a broader extraction range than glycerin. Alcohol, however, has a few toxic side effects, but these are usually minor since tinctures are administered in such small doses.

Yup, the same stuff that you exhale and the same stuff that leaves us worried about the climate.

Change ), You are commenting using your Google account.

Basically none of the flavor compounds get lost from the vanilla bean, with essentially no solvent residue. Designed by Flair. Add glycerin as part of the menstruum and it acts as a buffer to keep that from happening. Instead of ethanol alcohol, glycerin is used as a natural solvent to extract the flavors of the vanilla bean. This is useful if you are honing your advanced formulation skills. When you make an herbal extract you are using a combination of ethanol and water. While dosage is different, alcohol tinctured herbs are safe for infants, children, and pregnant woman.

You don’t have to research or shop for tinctures long before you hear about the great glycerin tincture vs alcohol tincture debate. Thanking you, Agatha Noveille is an author and herbalist based in Atlanta, Georgia.

Our original Queen vanilla recipe was established in the early 1900s and was called ‘Vanilla Essence – Extract of Vanilla Beans’. Healthy at Home: Get Well and Stay Well without Prescriptions.

Technically, a tincture is simply a liquid extract of an herb that’s been dissolved in some sort of liquid.

However it is also possible to use either glycerine or propylene glycol solutions as the initial solvent.

Historically, the term ‘Essence’ meant a highly concentrated form of pure extract.

For the sake of relevancy, we’ll focus solely on alcohol and glycerin. Are you interested in learning more about the chemistry behind herbalism and the art of making herbal extracts? As a solvent, it has less range and is considered weaker than alcohol.

Will new post soon, that’s a self-promise. halal labeling purposes). Have a question?Our customer care teamwould love to help! The numbers in brackets correspond with the list of references at the end of the article. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account.

A less powerful tincture means that you will have to take a stronger dose.

Are you interested in learning more about the chemistry behind herbalism and the art of making herbal extracts? As for contaminants, alcohol can kill bacteria, which is both a positive and a negative. Alcohol does have a few downfalls.

This extract is also diet-friendly.

That’s the drinkable kind that’s in vodka, wine, beer, etc. You can feel confident in knowing that the information within this article is sound. What about all the other bases out there?

On the flip side, glycerin is known to preserve them.

If there was a way that made it easier to work with and easier to eat without my toung swelling up, i think it would help!

It’s also highly flammable and not heat stable. The non-alcoholic extract may not be as dark as the alcohol-based vanilla and will have a similar consistency to syrup but will still have the same flavor as vanilla extract.

National Park Service. According to The Herbal Medicine Maker’s Handbook, 20 drops of an herbal extract (60% ethanol) 3 times a day is less than 1/30th of an ounce of alcohol, so you really aren’t consuming very much at all. I used 4 beans per cup.

Take our Quiz and we’ll help you get started! All testimonials and product reviews are authentic from actual customers. Just be sure to clearly label them for external use only. However, commercial tinctures are often made with plain, unadulterated ethanol.

I prefer to use alcohol free vanilla or vanilla with minimal alcohol content in my homemade ice cream because it freezes better.

I was just thinking about it. The few recipes for AFVE has been 1 oz beans to 16 oz glycerin and 6 oz hot water.

Vanilla made with vodka tastes more like plain old vanilla.