Gore Vidal's "Burr" is everything an historical novel should be, and more. Vidal wrote a subtle, fascinating book about a misunderstood founding father. (Hamilton wasn’t as beloved in his own time). Plot - 3, Characters - 3, Theme - 4, Voice - 4, Setting - 3, Overall - 4, Reviewed in the United States on August 24, 2013. Reviewed in the United States on July 22, 2016. You can also choose to be emailed when someone replies to your comment. It features the origin story of one of my favorite characters from my novel Twilight Empress. Discovering Gore Vidal's sparklingly cynical novel about the birth of the American Republic was wonderful escapism. I had no idea who the book was about but was willing to try anything. Prior to reading this novel, I wouldn't have believed that I could enjoy a work of fiction containing a long list of dates, facts, political explanations about the founders' differences and motives, and a list of characters broad enough to capture even the most mundane participants in America's earliest days. If half of what was presented was true, it severely tarnishes my impressions of our Founding Fathers.

Find your bookmarks in your Independent Premium section, under my profile. Back then the reform process in China had barely got going and to an English teenager it all felt a bit 1984: alien and oppressive. Vidal's novel goes a long way in humanizing Burr, but does not necessarily minimize his notoriety. Of course we have Twitter and AT15s. Gore Vidal’s historical novels(Burr, Lincoln, 1876, etc. You will get a link to download a free eBook. Thanks to Vidal's Burr, I'm now wild about a topic that I snoozed through in high school: early American history. Reviewed in the United States on August 6, 2017 Gore Vidal's "Burr" is everything an historical novel should be, and more.

Burr by Gore Vidal, book of a lifetime: This cynical novel is, You may not agree with our views, or other users’, but please respond to them respectfully, Swearing, personal abuse, racism, sexism, homophobia and other discriminatory or inciteful language is not acceptable, Do not impersonate other users or reveal private information about third parties, We reserve the right to delete inappropriate posts and ban offending users without notification. Somehow, Gore Vidal has done what PBS has spent millions and decades trying to do: he's made learning fun.

Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Beginnings tend to be messy, and the Revolution and Articles and Constitution seem messier and more ambiguous than one might have expected, based on high school history.

I can still remember lying in an uncomfortable hostel bed in Chengdu and being transported to another world. A tiny flaw, but it annoyed me. But the editor, who is deep into New York and national politics, has an offer the penniless young man can’t refuse: a lucrative contract to write an anonymous pamphlet accusing Martin Van Buren (current vice-president and future presidential candidate) of being Aaron Burr’s illegitimate son which could hand the presidency to the likely contender Henry Clay. Due to the sheer scale of this comment community, we are not able to give each post the same level of attention, but we have preserved this area in the interests of open debate. Aaron Burr, along with Benedict Arnold, were America's original bad boys.

I had to read this riveting, stupendous book twice to fully appreciate the wealth of information on the life of the real Aaron Burr, not the villain that history and our schools have fed us all. Vidal tried his hand at politics himself, but he never got the balance right. Independent Premium Comments can be posted by members of our membership scheme, Independent Premium. Aaron Burr, along with Benedict Arnold, were America's original bad boys. Please be respectful when making a comment and adhere to our Community Guidelines. I like Vidal’s writing style, his voice. Reviewed in the United States on July 1, 2020. Very entertaining book. With the popularity of Hamilton at present it seems appropriate to consider other points of view. Really enjoyed reading this book! Reviewed in the United States on April 25, 2014.

I've read this book three times, and getting ready to take it on vacation next week for the fourth. There's a problem loading this menu right now.

If you've never read Vidal, there are other places you might want to begin ('Julian' is a marvelous novel, as is 'Messiah.' I’ll definitely want to check out some biographies on this interesting and complicated man. Burr is the one you want to win.

It's mesmerizing how Hamilton, Burr, Jefferson, Adams, Washington -- all those reverentially referred to as "our founding fathers" -- fought like hell, and disliked each other. Of course Aaron Burr has a totally different slant on past events and characters than what we’ve been told in the history books.

In this novel, the usual pantheon of American heroes – Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton – come across as various stripes of pompous hypocrite.

Schuyler, who prefers journalism to the law, writes an article about the wedding for a local newspaper–which gets rejected. This book has been restored and scanned. Your email address will not be published.

Aaron Burr, along with Benedict Arnold, were America's original bad boys. Rather, Vidal's novel reflects a plausible portrait of the only vice-president to literally get away with murder. Vidal caused me to fall in love with the history of my country, and I can't wait to finish the rest of the series. Apart from anything, Vidal made politics sound like fun. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. Reviewed in the United States on October 6, 2016.

This page works best with JavaScript. Vidal’s was an annoying tendency to describe Burr’s desk as “baize-covered” in every single scene in which it is mentioned (which were MANY). Being self-aware matters.

He ended up sounding like a stuck record. Reviewed in the United States on May 12, 2016.

I wish I’d read the afterword first.

The descriptions and criticisms of Washington were equally disheartening. Vidal takes Burr's side to show that he was much better than that: a chancer, for sure, but self-aware enough to know that's what he was, which makes him intensely likable. $8.85. It's a thriller and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Check out this short clip of Gore Vidal summarizing Aaron Burr’s early career through his stint as Vice-President: I try to get my students to read these books now but most aren't interested: they haven't got time for novels. Aaron Burr very nearly became America's third president in 1800, when he narrowly lost to Thomas Jefferson. Along the way, Burr decides to give Schuyler his notes for his own biography, setting up parallel stories: the end of Burr’s life as seen through the eyes of Charles Schuyler, and Burr’s youth and political career in Burr’s/Vidal’s own words. The country could have easily broken apart at several times and in different configurations before the Civil War. In the background is the implication that our founding fathers were deeply flawed men and the early republic a fragile construction built on the evil compromise of slavery.

The existing Open Comments threads will continue to exist for those who do not subscribe to Independent Premium.

Gore Vidal's "Burr" is everything an historical novel should be, and more. Burr. Schuyler tries to get his evidence by interviewing Burr. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Margaret Moncrieffe; the First Love of Aaron Burr: A Romance of the Revolution, Jefferson's Vendetta: The Pursuit of Aaron Burr and the Judiciary, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.