What is Chinese Valentine’s Day and how is it celebrated? m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) He went into exile and wrote some of the most famous poetry in Chinese literary history. Common fillings for sweet zòngzi include sweet red bean paste or jujube (Chinese dates).

The State of Chu was not doing well politically, and news of its various defeats at the hands of competing states sent Qu Yuan into a deep depression. Example: This was meant to be for Qu Yuan in the afterlife and the leaves ensured that fish wouldn’t get to it. What is Singles’ Day and how is it celebrated? Duānwǔ Jié (端午节,Dragon Boat Festival) has long been a traditional holiday associated with many customs and superstitions in China. He also studied Indonesian Language & Culture in Bali for a year. Official races organized by organizations like the International Dragon Boat Federation are held in many parts of the world. I’m not the biggest fan of them, to be honest, but it’s a fun way to celebrate the holiday and practice your Chinese!

[Photo/VCG] The festival date, reckoned on the fifth day of the fifth month on the Chinese lunar calendar, falls on May 30 this year. One such tradition that has survived to this day and is still incorporated into modern Dragon Boat Festival celebrations is the custom of hanging mugwort and calamus branches on one’s door to ward off evil spirits. Learn all about this traditional holiday in this post, starting with the name. This traditional holiday, also called the Double Fifth festival, is celebrated on the 5th day of the 5th month of the Chinese lunar calendar (called 农历 or nónglì in Chinese). Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. hubs.ly/H0z5y3m0, Slightly unnerving, awfully revealing. People believed that natural disasters and illnesses are common in the fifth month. Example:

This year’s holiday falls on June 7 to June 9. While I’m sure some traditionalists still toss a zongzi or two into the river, most people just eat them. Tomb Sweeping Festival – Chinese Qīngmíng jié.

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Since the shape of calamus forms like a sword and with the strong smell of the garlic, it is believed that they can remove the evil spirits. Scientific research says that this kind of alcohol is poisonous. Duānwǔ Jié (端午节,Dragon Boat Festival) has long been a traditional holiday associated with many customs and superstitions in China. ga('send', 'pageview'); Mandarin Monday: Think Twice Before Saying “Happy Dragon Boat Festival” in Chinese, Dragon Boat Festival: Boat Races, Zongzi, and More for the Family, This Week’s Events: Blazing Midsummer Parties and Workouts and Dragon Boat Fest Deals, Learn How to Make Zongzi and Indian Samosa in This Duanwu Workshop on Sat (Jun 16), What Does a Sneeze Mean? For more on the customs of Dragon Boat Festival, be sure to read Ayana’s excellent post: Last but not least, here’s a little video I put together about the Dragon Boat Festival. Almost every Chinese holiday has a specific food or foods associated with it, and Dragon Boat Festival is no different. Have a happy Dragon Boat Festival 端午节快乐! Find out more about traditional Chinese festivals here: Chinese New Year – The Complete Guide To China’s Biggest and Most Important Holiday. Although the size of the boats and their crews can vary, in most cases, the crew consists of 20 paddlers who sit side-by-side in pairs facing the bow. Dragon boats are traditionally made of teak wood in different sizes with brightly decorated designs.

September 21, 2020. As shared above, legend has it that people eat zòngzi on the Dragon Boat Festival as a way to remember the poet Qu Yuan. Dragon boating is a fun activity. Those little bags are made of colorful silk cloth, then filled with perfumes or herbal medicines. Legend has it that when they realized he was attempting to drown himself, the citizenry rushed in boats to the middle of the river in an attempt to save him or at least retrieve his body.

There are 20 people paddling the boat as well as a drummer and a steerer. Eventually, his dispair in the face of the political situation drove him to commit suicide by drowning himself in Hunan Province’s Miluo River. Originally more celebrated in the South of China than in the North, 端午节 became an official Chinese holiday in 2008 (the Chinese therefore now get three days off for this holiday – which they need to make up for on the weekends prior and after the holiday). The ‘Dragon Boat Festival’ as it’s referred to in English, or ‘Duān wǔ jié (端午节)’ in Mandarin and ‘Tuen Ng (端午節)’ in Cantonese, occurs on the 5th day of the 5th month of the traditional Chinese calendar, and this year falls on 25th June. This year’s holiday falls on June 7 to June 9. Many Chinese families make their own, and pre-made versions also suddenly become available at most corner convenience stores. The drummer is basically the heartbeat of the boat, telling the team how fast to paddle. He served faithfully as a government official in the State of Chu for some time. Lóngzhōu (龙舟, dragon boats) eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2…, #NELA2020 new program ALERT! Xiāngbāo (香包,perfume pouches) You will see many dragon boat races to the sound of beating drums in China during Dragon Boat Festival. It’s one of my favorite holidays to experience in China and I hope you get the chance to celebrate it there some day as well! Unfortunately, Qu Yuan was banished due to disagreements with the king. People celebrate this holiday by racing dragon boats and eating traditional foods. Dragon boat racing has a history of over 2,000 years and some scholars believe the practice most likely began as a way to worship the Dragon God. He was a poet and a statesman during the Warring States Period (战 国时代 – zhàn guó shí dài). 划龙舟有趣。 Huá Lóng zhōu yǒu qù. The dumplings themselves are wrapped in bamboo leaves, tied with a string, and either steamed or boiled. There is also a drummer who sits at the bow of the boat facing the paddlers. As you may expect, the Miluo River where Qu Yuan drowned also hosts a Dragon Boat Festival celebration every year. 我喜欢肉粽。Wǒ xǐ huān ròu zòng. 京ICP备11039980号-2. It’s a day to commemorate the life and death in 278 BCE of the famous Chinese poet and scholar Qu Yuan of Chu Kingdom. It’s a day to commemorate the life and death in 278 BCE of the famous Chinese poet and scholar Qu Yuan of Chu Kingdom. Please check your inbox for your confirmation email. Copyright 2020 True Run Media.

According to this explanation, the custom is thought to have originated in southern China’s Guangdong Province along the Pearl River Delta. The Dragon Boat Festival falls every year on the 5th day of the 5th month of the lunar calendar, which is a different day every year. Over the years, various traditions emerged to help ensure that people were protected from illness and bad luck during the dreaded Double Fifth. I hope you’ve enjoyed this post about the Chinese Dragon Boat Festival. 我不喝雄黄酒。Wǒ bù hē Xiónghuáng jiǔ. Although we can’t drink it, we can drink other alcoholic beverages; thus, people … Traditionally, the fifth lunar month was considered to be an unlucky time. Despite the various ups and downs it has faced over the years, anyone who has the chance to experience the fun and infectious excitement of the Dragon Boat Festival in China will quickly understand why its popularity has endured for many millennia. Because of the close relationships between audience members and participants, the atmosphere during these local races can be particularly exuberant. In most parts of China, the weather is quite good at this time of year, and people congregate outside on the banks of rivers and lakes to enjoy the fine weather while watching traditional dragon boat races. Example: Often, they are related to many of the crew members by birth or marriage.