News without bias or noise. It was certainly dangerous for Abraham to openly worship God in front of so many enemies. Well, there is a bit more to it, actually.

So we don't really need to ask the question. I’ve always felt a pull towards God. It would have been very interesting to be a “fly on the wall” in Terah’s home in Haran! It would be interesting to hear the “rest of that story”. It is likely that Abraham worshipped that moon god too. 4 So Abram left, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. What a testimony. When and how did the Twelve Apostles die? In any case, there is much to be said for the deep difference between an actual Normal Reading and an Idiot-Faith reading, in that the latter would rather the text have been authored by God and then this dumped onto Moses to write down. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. God told Abraham to leave Haran and explained that he would guide Abraham to where he needed to be. 31 Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and together they set out from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to Canaan. If we look at the map of modern day Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Jordan, and Israel, a journey from east to west through the Arabian desert would have been the shorter route. The ironic story with this controversy, is that in order to nail down and harmonize a strict chronology, you have to use a looser, or less strict method of biblical translation to arrive at harmonizing such a strict chronology. Do we take the shorter yet perilous desert route or do we have the patience to take the longer river route? Answering this question is actually a fairly easy one to tackle. A Veracity blog reader alerted me to the fact that Joshua 24:2 teaches that Terah, the father of Abraham, worshipped other gods, while still living in the land of Ur. I think God calls Abram in Ur as recounted by Stephen. Easily See 6017 Years of Biblical and World History Together! The story is also important because Abraham was a forefather of Jesus. This would indicate that Abraham was mentioned first in Genesis 11:26, not because he was the first born son, which would make him chronologically the first one born, but because Abraham had a special place of honor. This entry was posted on Friday, January 11th, 2019 at 9:00 pm and tagged with.

Perhaps when he told his father, Terah, that the One true God had called him, his father took the reins and led them out of Ur. I will bless you and I will make your name great. And the town of Haran was no bed of roses for Believers. 12 The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you. Required fields are marked *, Bible Charts and Maps, PO Box 171053, Austin, TX 78717 Well, one possibility is that the author writes an account twice and writes it differently the second time, so both versions are consistent and correct, even if they are not saying the same thing). I hiked the Mount of the Holy Cross, one of the famous Colorado Fourteeners, with some friends in July, 2012. According to The Chronological Life Application Study Bible, Abraham was born in 2166 B.C., during the Early Bronze Age, and the migration of Abram from Haran to Canaan occurred around 2091 B.C. Is that just trivial happenstance?

( Log Out /  As God indicated, Christianity spread throughout the world and blessed people across the entire planet. Abraham lived in a place called Haran. Should a Christian Have a Dream Catcher in Their Car? consider that reading the Book of Genesis is simply not like a reading a newspaper, or the latest David McCullogh, Ravi Zacharias Update: Celebrity and the Psychology of Trust, “Should Christians Vote for Trump?” Eric Metaxas & David French Debate, Does Science Make the Biblical Doctrine of Original Sin Obsolete? But is it permissible for Bible translators to do that? ( Log Out /  At that time, Ur was a center of rich Sumerian culture and a hub of economic activity.

Haran died in the presence of his father Terah in the land of his kindred, in Ur of the Chaldeans. Much more difficult than modern day families experience when moving across the country. Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.

The days of Terah were 205 years, and Terah died in Haran (Genesis 11:26-32 ESV). You could see a faster way, but instead off you went in almost the opposite direction. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. Bible lessons blended with science, theology, modern-day life lessons – and logic.

Did Adam Have a First Wife Prior to Eve?

See the elderliness of the father each of Shem and Abe, and the fact Shem and Abe each is one of three brothers. Objections: Praise GOD! God told Abraham, “I will give this land to your children.” This must have been a strange thing for Abraham to hear because he was already very old and had no children.
Change ). The things God asked Abraham to do were very hard. I asked Jesus into my life. Abraham was very close to God. The partial obedience of Abraham highlights the character of Abraham, as a man who has faith in the God of the Bible, but who is a bit reluctant to follow through on everything God asks him to do. My buddy, Mike Scott, snapped this photo of me on the summit. Learn facts that you can’t learn just from reading the Bible By this reading, the DIRECT point of the portion from Genesis 11:10-12:1 is not to tell us Gentiles the lineage to Christ, but simply to have the reader, in any case, to see a PERSONAL link from Shem to Abram. And there is not trivia to be made of the bit about the other brother dying ‘before the face’ of Terah. Has God ever taken you on the long route to a promised blessing or leading? Ur was a place of upheavals and it was under constant attack from hostile neighbors during the time of the patriarchs, so leaving the city for a more peaceful land would have been a more feasible choice for Terah and his family. So what’s the scenario according to me? Abraham’s family settled in Haran for many years until Terah died at the age of 205, then God called Abraham to go and continue the journey to Canaan. He told Abraham, “I will make you into a great nation.
A looser, or less strictly literal translation, in this particular case, like the KJV (King James Version), the NIV (New International Version), or the NLT (New Living Translation), reads something like, “Now the LORD had said to Abram,” which is in the past perfect tense, indicating the event had already taken place, prior to where it appears in the text. In Genesis 11:26-32, we get the story about Terah, the father of Abraham (whose name was slightly different at this point, “Abram.”): In summary, Abraham’s family moves from the land of Ur (in modern day Iraq), to Haran (in modern day Turkey), an area about half-way along the journey, across the Fertile Crescent, well short of reaching Canaan. One might conclude that the “NO” side of the scholars; that is, those who argue that the past perfect tense is not allowed here, is somehow insinuating that there might be some sort of “error” of chronology in the Bible. Even a ministry, such as Answers in Genesis, which normally assumes a very strict chronological sequencing in the text of Genesis, admits that a strict chronological sequencing of events between Genesis 10 and 11 is not in view here. Using the time-honored principle of comparing Scripture with Scripture, you get the clear idea that Abraham received his call to go the Canaan, while he was still living in Ur….

Abraham’s faith in God was remarkable but soon, Abraham’s faith will falter, and with disastrous consequences for Abraham and his family. Thanks for your testimony. But God never left us. Thanks for your scholarship. Terah and his family, however, took the longer route by following the Euphrates river upstream towards Haran. There he built an altar to the Lord and called on the name of the Lord. They have multiple styles and phrases available on their website: https://www.ivyandpearlboutique.com. Once they arrived in Canaan, Abraham realized he was surrounded by warlike tribes on every side. The discrepancy is resolved, but it requires a view of Genesis 11:26 that is not concerned with strict chronology.

So, what is the deal with Genesis 12:1, where a translation like the ESV (English Standard Version) gives you the impression that Abraham got his call while in Haran? The name of Abram’s wife was Sarai, and the name of Nahor’s wife was Milcah; she was the daughter of Haran, the father of both Milcah and Iscah. He was 75 years old at that time and moving was not an easy task especially in his age. the ESV sort of covers both bases, by having the “, We see this same type of verb syntax structure in Genesis 2:7 and Genesis 2:19, the NET Bible, handles this difficulty in Genesis 12:1, in the notes, The issue is plausibly resolved by adopting a less chronological orientation to the text, The NET Bible comments on this discrepancy with the following, Answers in Genesis, which normally assumes a very strict chronological sequencing in the text of Genesis, admits that a strict chronological sequencing of events between Genesis 10 and 11 is not in view here, both Ur and Haran were known to be centers of moon worship. The NET Bible comments on this discrepancy with the following: Genesis 11 begins with everyone speaking a common language, but chap. When we follow God’s will, he will bless us. This journey was the beginning of the delivery of the land of promise to Israel. Terah, it seems, decided to stay in the northern Mesopotamian "city of Haran," (no connection with his son Haran) rather than continue the journey to Canaan, which was the family's original intent. Shalom, Terah is honored in the link, not at all dishonored. I assume that God had not, in fact, commanded Abe to just up and leave, as if God thought Abe had already done all he rightly could to win his father over. Just look back in Genesis 11:26, where we read, “When Terah had lived 70 years, he fathered Abram, Nahor, and Haran.” When I first studied this passage years ago, I got the sense that Abraham, Nahor, and Haran, were all born in the same year. Why Did Christ Ride a Donkey on His Triumphant Entry? At that time the Canaanites were in the land. The name of Abram’s wife was Sarai, and the name of Nahor’s wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran the father of Milcah and Iscah. Genesis 12:5 Abram took Sarai his wife, Lot his brother's son, all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls whom they had gotten in Haran, and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan.

Apparently, some Bible scholars say, YES (C. John Collins), whereas others say NO (Claude Mariottini). For reasons not specified in Genesis Chapter 11 of the Bible, they set out from Ur of the Chaldeans (present-day southern Iraq) to Canaan on the Mediterranean coast. He’s was always there waiting on us to follow Him for the blessings. We can see a problem in their beliefs if this is the case which may have driven Terah and his family to leave Ur. All this happens before the Tower of Babel incident, when the dispersal of the people, into different language groups, occurs. Before God changed Abraham’s name to Abraham, which means “father of a multitude (later we will see why God changed Abraham’s name) Abraham’s name was Abram which meant “high father”.

Instead, the biblical writer is arranging the material in a more highly stylistic, and less chronologically-oriented, manner. Genesis 10 tells us the table of nations, describing the status of the nations, after they were dispersed by differentiation in language. Into the land of Canaan they came. 29 Abram and Nahor both married. I suspect that this portion’s plain lesson upon Terah is a very singular and honoring one, in view of this line being in pure honor of Shem: Terah, though too late in terms of his impact on the world, had truly converted. Where I did the best thing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”. But Abraham is only partway obedient to the call.