("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!

With the mixer on medium speed, add the sugar, about ¼ cup at a time, until it is all incorporated. I have tried buying a very moist coconut; try not to over-cream; and try not to over-beat the eggs.

What am I doing wrong?

lately my favorite Southern lemon pound cake tends to become too crusty.

My cake doesn’t have a crusty enough crust.

x. Hi Pat I don't use Paul's chocolate cake recipe but one very similar which uses soured cream instead of buttermilk but I have exactly the same problem!...the cake is very fudgey and tastes wonderfull.Again like you cupcakes are perfect!

Quite a useful post, I am always on the lookout for baking related theories, tips and techniques.

Few ovens are completely accurate, and if yours is running hotter than you thought, it can result in over-baked cakes with hard, crusty edges. Turn pan upside down and firmly tap out the excess flour. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat well for a minute or two until the mixture is light and fluffy. I have also tried a different pan.

These limit the heat transmitted to your cake batter by the pan, so the edges bake no faster than the middle of your cake. Whites are beaten til stiff and added to batter and beaten well (not folded in). Around here everyone loves the crust on the pound cake–the thicker the better. Whisk vigorously until the cream thickens to the consistency of a loose pudding.

Learning Knife Skills In Culinary School ».

Check the doneness of your cake diligently, so you don't over-bake it. Cake becomes hard when the temperature set is incorrect or less. I tend to cut it off but realized I lose quite a bit of the cake as sometime the sides are we bit crispy too.

I follow his instructions to the letter! .

I used to add the eggs all at once and beat. Many manufacturers produce a baker's aid called a heating core, a funnel-shaped metal tool that conducts heat into the middle of the batter. – From the recipe provided above. His articles have appeared on numerous home and garden sites including GoneOutdoors, TheNest and eHow. Cake is then placed in cold oven and baked at 325 for 1hr 15min.

That’s what I love about cooking! Case in point: I made this cake just yesterday and someone thought I had put a glaze on it! My oven temperature is correct according to his recipe and the oven thermometer I used to check it out thinking it was baking too hot! So, I tried 3 minutes at a lower speed and still a dry, crusty top. Very good information.

She made the cake this past weekend and it was scrumptious.

I too have “not beaten the eggs too much”and still have a crunchy fall off the cake, crust.

In a bowl, whisk flour and baking powder together very well.

Thank you!

Hi.

Hi, Veena.

This should only take a minute or two, as you're whipping such a small amount of cream. Check the accuracy of your oven's thermostat with an oven thermometer.

I’m sure I beat the eggs too hard. Solved the problem by adding them one at a time while beating. When your cake is baked, its edges begin to pull away slightly from the pan, it will be lightly springy when tapped, and a cake tester inserted into the middle will come out clean or with a few dry crumbs clinging to it. If anyone has tried these solutions, I'd like to know if they have worked!

The recipe I use requires that eggs be separated. If you do bake it again your feed back would be appreciated too.

I sifted the cake flour and really creamed the cream cheese, butter and sugar well. The dark edges are usually dry and overcooked, and leave your cake unattractive and less pleasing on the palate. Yolks are added (all at once) to butter and sugar and creamed together; dry ingredients, milk and extract are added next (all at once). If dark pans are your only option, reduce the oven's temperature by 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

If using the cream, place a metal or glass bowl and a whisk in the freezer. Mix on low until barely incorporated.

Professional bakers use these pans precisely because they aren't prone to creating hard, darkened crusts. I’ll try this too. Let cake cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes. very softly whipped (it should be thick but not hold peaks). Bake until deep golden brown, well risen and cracked in the center. I knew about not beating the eggs too much, so when I added the eggs, one at a time, I only let it beat on very low and then add another egg and repeat. I haven’t been able to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

I will try your recipe as pound cake is one of favorites. He was educated at Memorial University of Newfoundland and the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology.

My brother would be fine eating only the crust. Any idea why eggless cake would have this problem?

Let cake cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Thanks my friends.

I’m not much of a baker (yet) although my 13 year old daughter loves to bake and her mom (my wife) is a very good baker.

With the mixer off, spoon in about half of the flour.

I’ve tried multiple things including adding the eggs slowly but still no luck.

Thought my using the extra large eggs caused it! (function(){for(var g="function"==typeof Object.defineProperties?Object.defineProperty:function(b,c,a){if(a.get||a.set)throw new TypeError("ES3 does not support getters and setters. Thank you so much!

//

Beating the eggs too much is the problem. Thanks Stephen very interesting information. © 2020 CakeFlix Ltd. All rights reserved.

Filed Under: Ask A Chef, Baking Techniques, Dessert Recipes, I'm a work-at-home dad who enjoys cooking, learning everything I can about the culinary world and sharing it with you. Such good information-thanks! This doesn’t change the cake in any other way. So the eggs are really getting beaten a lot. It will be perfect next time around!

While it tastes great, somehow I don’t want crunch when I cut/bite into my pound cake. In fact she made an Apple Pear Cake recipe given to her from our friend Geoff, another incredible home baker. ");b!=Array.prototype&&b!=Object.prototype&&(b[c]=a.value)},h="undefined"!=typeof window&&window===this?this:"undefined"!=typeof global&&null!=global?global:this,k=["String","prototype","repeat"],l=0;lb||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split(". Since we are talking about pound cake, I asked Chef Jenni for a favorite version of her own. You'll come back to it later.

“They” said try 325 for one hour and 15-20 minutes.

Here’s what she sent me. What do you substitute for the eggs when you get that crispy result? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Prevent this hard crust by making some changes to how you bake your cakes. Here is what Stella asked me: After baking pound cake, the top and sides are crusty to the point where I can actually peel this off instead of being buttery and soft. Cream butter/sugar/cream cheese very well until light and fluffy.

I follow his instructions to the letter! To garnish, either sieve some powdered sugar evenly over the top of the cake or make a simple glaze with powdered sugar, a little milk and a splash of vanilla. Try baking a cake between 180 degrees to 220 degrees, depending on the type of cake and if it still happens, then you should reduce the quantity of the batter.