While there is a lot of effort involved, the preparation is a fun part of the ritual. If I was hosting a party, I would definitely do one. Opt for classic checkerboard tablecloths in red and blue and sprinkle a few lanterns throughout for ambience. “One year we had only 25 booked; the day of, 80 people showed up,” Murphy says. If you've ever been to a clambake, you know how good they are! Since I don’t have great quality photos from the first clambake I hosted, here are a few pics from the second clambake. Though setting up a backyard clambake is not exactly an intuitive process, however, just about anyone can do it if they know the correct steps. “I like to get my shellfish and fish the day of,” says Murphy. Since this recipe cooks on the stovetop, it can be made anytime of year as long as you have access to the ingredients. As part of my pre-guest arrival prep, I cleaned the shellfish and debearded the mussels then let them sit in water again to get any final grit out before tossing in the stockpot. STEP 5: Layer the rocks with potatoes, corn, onion, clams, and live lobsters. If you try this recipe, please comment and let me know what you think here.

It’s getting colder outside, so I’m getting co, Pothos is one of the easiest houseplants to care f, Its a back-in-the-garden kind of day here today. There are many useful tips online  to turn the novice into a “bakemaster.” The basic idea is to use seawater and seaweed to steam the ingredients over your heat source. If you’re thinking of hosting a clambake party, think big! To me, this is a personal choice. The traditional method uses a pit and a wood fire, but the grill can offer a convenient shortcut to suit your needs. I had twenty three guests attending so I doubled Martha’s recipe, pre-ordered the seafood and planned ahead how the meal would be served.

Serve the meal with butter, fresh lemon, and lobster crackers – and maybe have some watermelon for dessert. Tips For Hosting a Clambake. How cute is this birdhouse we made? If I am doubling the recipe, I use two stockpots to fit all the food.

The few times I hosted, I opted for aluminum trays to keep it a little neater and easier to clean up. “At the Weekapaug Inn, I can also leverage what our food forager brings in from the farmers’ market that day to add a twist to the menu.”, Set the scene. Since this recipe is so easy to make, this would make a GREAT theme for New Year’s Eve. We asked Ryan Murphy, executive chef of Rhode Island’s iconic Weekapaug Inn, to share his tips on how to throw the perfect party, whether you’re hosting a crowd-pleasing beachfront shindig or an intimate dinner on your roof terrace—no ocean in sight.

(Or a July 4th bash.) Load up on clams, lobster, chicken, potatoes, corn, and butter, and you've got yourself a summertime feast—sans the sand-filled shoes. It worked very well. As an aside, doubling the recipe worked well because we enjoyed some apps prior to sitting down. If you are looking for a theme or fun dish to entertain guests, look no further than Martha Stewart’s Stovetop Clambake Recipe. Clean-up was a breeze when we were done! It wouldn’t be the same, but it’s not detrimental to the recipe. We rented a house in Long Beach Island, New Jersey with some family and celebrated with a stovetop clambake. I followed tips for how to clean shellfish and debeard mussels from articles I found on the web. Tablescape styling can be as simple or as elaborate as you want. I prefer to get the shrimp cleaned, deveined with the tail on, but have seen it served in clambakes fully intact. In either case, you will need a … © 2020 Condé Nast. It was so good and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. It was a huge success! The key to hosting a clambake is to keep the atmosphere casual. While I followed Martha Stewart’s Stovetop Clambake Recipe to the letter, I did make a few adjustments to make it easier for myself to prepare while entertaining guests. Just be sure to serve it up … Before adding to the pot, I lifted them out of the water gently with a slotted spoon. My daughter loves to be a ham in the background. It’s more typical to summer fare, but boy was it fun to do one for Christmas Eve! Because it drives me crazy when clams or mussels have even the slightest amount of sand or grit, I go through the cleaning process twice and scrub the clams off with a bristle brush after the first cleaning. If you’re thinking of hosting a clambake party, think big! My sister-in-law Laura and I prepared the seafood and cooked the meal. While not ideal, I adapted and the dish still tasted great. Special Events & Weddings Guide Download. Have you ever hosted a clambake before? I’ve thrown a few clambakes since using this same recipe and the result is nothing short of fabulous! Today, this humble yet extravagant meal is the perfect centerpiece for a summer get-together. The private beaches and spacious grounds of historic Tupper Manor are the perfect place to hold a clambake, and family and friends can be a part of North Shore history. I love clambakes and had no idea how easy they are to do until I watched my brother-in-law cook one. “Hosting a clambake is the best way to do that and enjoy the delicious bounties of the sea.” The good news is that it’s just as easy to host a clambake as a traditional barbecue. All rights reserved. I'm Stacy LIng! She provides easy-to-follow, easy-to-do garden, home decor, lifestyle & DIY inspo. “So we turned the whole event into a cooking demo with wine pairing to buy us time to get our suppliers to deliver more seafood, but the guests didn’t even notice. I’m not really sure the difference it would make but it’s not a necessary step if you don’t have access to it. In about 30 minutes, you’ll have a New England-style clambake ready. I layered them together with the fresh mussels and cooked according to Martha’s directions.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There’s no party like a Clambake Party! Since I used all paper products, everyone just grabbed what they needed and sat down when we were ready to eat. It’s been a very effective process for me – but do what works for you. To test for doneness, check the potatoes – when they’re tender, the rest is ready to go! I'm an avid suburban gardener (zone 6a) who loves home decor and creating beautiful spaces. If you want … If something is not available, you can subtract it out. This saved me a lot of time from referring back to the recipe while entertaining guests. Uh oh! Just load up on fresh seafood, cue the surf decor, and read on for Murphy’s tried-and-true ideas. “Hosting a clambake is the best way to do that and enjoy the delicious bounties of the sea.” The good news is that it’s just as easy to host a clambake as a traditional barbecue. To cook the clambake, I used very large stockpots like these. Thus, I wanted to focus more on the food and less about the decor.

It was incredible!!! Host a clambake to celebrate summer Summer is the time for seafood! That summer, I made her stovetop clambake recipe over Labor Day Weekend. Make a plan. The private beaches and spacious grounds of historic Tupper Manor are the perfect place to hold a clambake, and family and friends can be a part of North Shore history.

Before hosting a clambake, make sure it's legal to cook on your preferred beach. It looked so good we all had to take pics with it! But why while away the season waiting for an invitation? I say “we”, Do you love a pretty table as much as I do? For the Christmas Clambake, I used Sam Adams Winter Lager and the dish was AWESOME! The Native Americans also used oysters, scallops, and squashes. Clambake Party Menu STEP 1:. I searched online and found a super easy recipe from Martha Stewart. It wouldn’t be summer without a classic New England clambake on the books. Kids can help gather seaweed and driftwood while learning about cooking. When I am ready to start cooking, I can quickly refer to the cheat sheet, add ingredients to the pot and follow the cooking time. To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. T. Martha Stewart’s Stovetop Clambake Recipe. Classic clambakes feature Maine lobsters, clams and mussels, and sausage like kielbasa or chorizo. STEP 4:. Comparing it to others, her recipe sounded pretty simple, quick and delicious! Clambakes have a way of bringing people out of the woodwork. Although I love to create festive and elaborate tablescapes, I kept mine pretty simple for the first few clambakes I hosted. And come on…it’s from Martha!!! Martha Stewart’s Stovetop Clambake Recipe, Rustic Farmhouse Christmas Table Decor Ideas, Budget-Friendly Winter Centerpiece Ideas for the Dining Table. It’s such a fun way to celebrate…anything! It wouldn’t be the same, but it’s not detrimental to the recipe. S TEP 2: Dig your pit and line the bottom with large rocks. Hotel Internet Marketing by Lodging Interactive, © 2019 Tupper Manor at the Wylie Inn and Conference Center, 295 Hale Street, Beverly, MA 01915 | Telephone: 978-867-1800 | Fax: 978-867-1960, The Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College. Yummo! Using all the classic clambake flavors plus a few disposable roasting pans, you can create a clambake easily with this recipe. Most said it was the best-held event they had ever been to.”. Subscribe to the blog to gain free access to special home and garden content not available to the general public. Thank you for visiting the blog today! Click HERE for full disclosure.). Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20) and Your California Privacy Rights. Stacy Ling is a master gardener who loves home decor and creating beautiful spaces. While those mussels weren’t the same as fresh ones, the overall dish was not affected by it. Then, invite tons of friends and family and start digging. Whenever I entertain, I try to do as much prep work as possible before guests arrive. The first layer of seafood in the stockpot. The whole family can experience food together and connect with the area through nature’s bounty. My dogs wanted to get in on the Christmas Clambake prep! The New England Clambake is a beloved culinary tradition that uses seawater and seaweed to steam seafood and vegetables in a large hole dug in the sand. Three trays to serve the meal and three for the discarded shells.

Places to host a party often include backyards and beaches, but these may be small and many forbid open fires. Because I wanted the highest quality ingredients for the clambake, I pre-ordered most of the seafood a week ahead from one of our local markets. Because that’s how I like to entertain, I prepped all of the ingredients ahead of time. Enjoy your day! Turn your get together around a bounty from the ocean into a memorable event with these easy tips. Top your rocks with your drift wood.

The food is fresh, delicious, and surprisingly easy to make. (Posts on stacyling.com may contain affiliate links. The ingredients were readily available, the preparation was straightforward and the recipe was easy to follow.

The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. When you bring fresh seafood home, some of it will need to be cleaned before you cook it. A few years ago, we were visiting him and his family in Fire Island when he decided to do a clambake one night. All you have to do is wrap the clams and other ingredients in foil and grill. Architectural Digest may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers.

“Anything you can do to boost the experience and create a beautiful setting all plays into traditional clambakes.”, Be ready for anything.