He is known for his work on Overboard (1987), Family Feud (1988) and Vampire in Brooklyn (1995). Same thing happened. He also was nominated for a Daytime Emmy as best game show host in 1993. Ray Combs was born on April 3, 1956 in Hamilton, Ohio, USA as Raymond Neil Combs Jr. Combs had reportedly destroyed most of the inside of his home, and had also been banging his head against the walls. In 1982, convinced that he was better than others he saw appear on The Tonight Show, Combs left his job as an Indianapolis furniture salesman and moved with his family to Los Angeles.

That took a toll on his health, career, marriage and finances. At the height of his career, he earned close to $1 million per year, but reportedly had trouble managing his money. The show aired on CBS and was in syndication until 1994. Combs portrayed himself in episodes of In Living Color and 227 in Family Feud sketches and made an appearance on the TNN television series The Statler Brothers Show, where he did a stand-up comedy routine. Six years (1988-94) making high six figures on CBS' daytime lineup gave him money to open two comedy clubs in Cincinnati, CaddyCombs on Second Street and the Cincinnati Comedy Connection in Carew Tower, and provide for his wife and their six kids. On June 1, 1996, police were called to Combs's home at 1318 Sonora Avenue in Glendale, California over reports of a disturbance. He did warm-ups for "The Golden Girls" (earning a brief guest shot on the hit show), and Sherman Hemsley's "Amen" (produced by Carson's company). Combs, 40, hanged himself at the Glendale Adventist Medical Center, an unidentified friend told Los Angeles radio station KFWB. He did well in a competition with more than 200 other young comedians, and began doing audience warm-ups for sitcoms such as The Golden Girls and Amen.

He graduated in 1974 from Garfield High School, where he was an actor, senior class President, and Boys State delegate. He sought career guidance from Indianapolis native David Letterman, who helped him get established in Los Angeles when he moved there in 1982 after success at the Red Dog and other Cincinnati comedy clubs. Ray passed away on June 2, 1996 at the age of 43 in Glendale, California, USA. Combs was survived by his parents, Ray, Sr. and Anita Jean Combs; his wife; and their six children. It never fails," he told me. Ray Combs was born on April 03, 1956 in  Hamilton, Ohio, United States, is Actor, Miscellaneous Crew, Writer. Ray's cause of death was suicide by hanging. He died on June 2, 1996 in Glendale, California, USA. I like to recall Combs phoning from LA after his "Tonight" show debut to talk about watching  Carson's show growing up in Hamilton. In 1979, Combs sent a letter to David Letterman, asking for advice; Letterman encouraged him to continue in comedy. His popularity on the stand-up circuit led to him being signed as the host of the revival of the game show Family Feud.

Ray Combs, the 40-year-old former host of TV’s “The New Family Feud” game show, committed suicide, dying Sunday at Glendale Adventist Hospital a day … He continued to have problems moving his fingers and hands -- not a good thing for a game show host who needed to hold a microphone and note cards. A port of the same game would later be released for Sega Genesis in July 1994. The program premiered on July 4, 1988 on CBS's daytime lineup, and a syndicated version was launched two months later, on September 19. He hung himself with a bed sheet at Glendale Adventist Medical Center while under suicide watch.

Going through my Letterman files recently, I found a note Dave sent me in 1998 referencing Bonnie Lou, the vocalist from WLWT-TV’s “Dixon” and “Midwestern Hayride” who died earlier this month at age 91. Ray Combs is a member of Actor.

Ray Combs Death. Combs was deeply in debt at the time of his death; only after his suicide did his widow Debbie learn of his desperate financial difficulties. In the 1980s, he was a popular "warm-up comedian" who entertained Hollywood studio audiences at sitcom tapings.

Tragically, it was a suicide. It's great to have the money to do whatever you want to do with your family for just being yourself and having fun.". Every day, I feel a little bit better. June 2, 1996(1996-06-02) (aged 40)\nGlendale, California, U.S. Midway through the 1992–93 season, ratings for the show began to plummet. In 1985, he appeared on an episode of The Facts of Life as a background character. Combs began performing comedy at Cincinnati's Red Dog Saloon, where he developed his best-known shtick of audience sing-alongs of sitcom theme songs. In July 1994, he suffered temporary paralysis of his arms and legs in an auto accident on the Los Angeles Freeway. In the early hours of the next morning, Combs hanged himself in the closet of his room. Ray Combs was born on April 3, 1956 in Hamilton, Ohio, USA as Raymond Neil Combs Jr. Within a year of his "Tonight" show debut, Combs was signed by CBS to host a revival of "Family Feud." Shortly after police arrived, Combs's estranged wife Debbie arrived and informed them that Combs was suicidal, and had spent the previous week in the hospital for a suicide attempt. He is known for his work on Overboard (1987), Family Feud (1988) and Vampire in Brooklyn (1995). ", Then he began singing "The Addams Family" TV theme: "They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky, they're all together ooky…".

In October 1993, a Family Feud video game featuring Combs's likeness was released for the Super NES.

Combs was taken into protective custody and committed to the Glendale Adventist Medical Center for psychiatric evaluation. In 1988, game show producers Mark Goodson and Howard Felsher gave Combs a seven-year contract to host a new version of Family Feud. He was married to Debra Jo Loomis. Johnny Carson heard the audience's laughter and then invited Combs to perform on The Tonight Show in October 1986; the audience gave him a standing ovation. Ray Combs was a famed American comedian and actor who became the host of Family Feud on CBS from 1988 to 1994. Jonathan Goodson, who had become chairman of Mark Goodson Productions after the death of his father, Mark Goodson, made the decision a year earlier to replace Combs with original host Richard Dawson in the hopes of spiking ratings. I'd stay up late watching Johnny Carson, dreaming that I'd be on his show," he told me. He also went through financial problems after two of his comedy clubs failed, and his home in Hamilton, Ohio, went into foreclosure. He defaulted on his two Hamilton homes, which were sold at a Butler County Sheriff's auction. GLENDALE, Calif. (AP) _ Ray Combs, a comedian who followed Richard Dawson as host of the game show ``Family Feud,″ committed suicide hours after he was taken to a hospital, police said. He hung himself with a bed sheet at Glendale Adventist Medical Center while under suicide watch.

He arrived at the hospital Saturday afternoon with a head injury.

But I choose to remember Ray for all the fun and laughs he gave us in his 40 years -- not how he died. After Combs’ death, his wife discovered just how much financial trouble he had been in. After steroid injections to relieve pressure on his swollen spinal column, he eventually got back on his feet and started working in 1995 on a new show, "Family Challenge."