For optimum flavor, never cook in water — homemade broth with yield the best flavor. Because the grain triples in size as it cooks, one cup of raw quinoa should yield about three cups of cooked quinoa. 2 cups water (or homemade broth, if preferred) 1 cup quinoa, rinsed Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes. The most commonly found in grocery stores is white. Ingredients. For a long time, I thought this was the best method, but I still struggled from time to time with it turning out mushy. That depends on where you live. Chicken Quinoa Bowls with Balsamic Dressing, Broccoli Cheeseburgers with Spicy Sweet Potatoes, Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Cranberry Quinoa, Bacon-Wrapped Scallops with Pineapple Quinoa, This Holiday Oreo Cookie Tin Is Packed with Fudge-Covered Oreos, How to Make Apple Spice Cake (with Brown Sugar Frosting! Since then, quinoa has become a favorite around here. I love buffalo quinoa bowl though! It looks very interesting thouhg, I'm going to have to try this out sometime. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. As the kernels begin to pop, shake your pan . Start your quinoa in simmering water to kick-start its blooming and unraveling phase, making it fluffier than you thought possible.

Firm believers in lifestyle design, our family has been location independent since 2008. Epicurious may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. this website. You can cook it that way! Finally, using vegetable or chicken broth instead of water is a great way to add flavor to your quinoa. Martha Stewart may receive compensation when you click through and purchase from links contained on Quinoa cooks quickly–in about 20 minutes, start to finish. Get inspired to make your porch your new favorite living space with these ideas designed to add a refined look to any outdoor space. Note: This is not my preferred method to cook quinoa and I only use this if I am short on time and don't have access to my Instant Pot. You may be surprised to know that you can pop it in the same way that you can pop popcorn. (Most packages suggest a 1:2. Especially good and healthy with a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and a diced up sweet potato added to the baking dish before cooking. Rinse until the water runs clear, about 3 to 5 minutes. Everest of dishes to get right.
To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. Cooking quinoa with aromatics adds so much flavor! Read about our approach to external linking. It came out just as perfect as you said! Learn how to cook quinoa with these helpful tips and tricks that will enable you to make it perfectly on your stove top every time. The following are affiliate links.

I too do not care for mushy quinoa. I don't know about you, but quinoa wasn't a food that I grew up eating. Plus, learning how to cook quinoa is easy! Unlike rice, you won’t want to start quinoa in cold liquid. I would have no idea where to start when it comes to quinoa. Because all stoves heat a little differently, you may need to turn the heat down to avoid burning. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a20136672/how-to-cook-quinoa STEP 3 Remove the pan from the heat and keep the lid on. Combine quinoa and water in a saucepan. (i.e., You will need a lot more if you are making a vegan salad with no other protein, than if you are making one that is also going to have beans in it. Drain well. The reason it is so frost resistant is the size of the germ, which is much larger than other grains. Combine quinoa, 1 1/2 cups water, and salt in a saucepan. It kind of reminds me of really small and slightly firmer rice krispies! ), Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. Light and fluffy quinoa makes a great base for salads. Tex-Mex Quinoa Salad . Bring to a simmer and then reduce to low.

I cook it for 10 minutes in more water or broth than it can absorb, then drain it and let it sit in the hot pan for 5 minutes. Let sit covered for an additional five minutes. I did not rinse it and it tasted so gross.

Life changer! Then rinse quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer with cool water for 30 seconds.