Can you tell me what size planks you used for the bed support/ roof for the under storage? It’s even better news if your dream bedroom furniture does not seem to exist. It can get annoying always trying to wriggle those pull-out drawers out from underneath your bed so this hack makes it easy as pie! This way it can’t slide out. Thanks a lot. hacks from all over the globe. 2 Days. Could you also explain in a little more detail what you mean by adding an additional layer of plywood along the top and sides of the cabinets?

Carrying the KALLAX units and plywood sheets up the stairs. For carpet – what would you recommend to get it farther off the floor. Are you talking about a board that stretches across the step cabinets or just an extra piece of wood screwed up from underneath in each cabinet to make it that much thicker?

Keep in mind, you can do this project with any brand or style as long as they are wall cabinets.

IKEA’s Malm series is about as close to a blank canvas as you can get. Since we already had the KALLAX units, we wanted to use them up. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Going higher increases the risk of the structure sliding out from under the bed. The lowest step is TUTEMO, not SEKTION. After looking them up and researching is totals out to $553, not $355. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The video below shows you how to turn seven standard kitchen cabinets from IKEA into a platform bed with storage underneath. It costs 4 x more than a $50 bed frame from Walmart. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. The total cost was around $480 for the cabinets, lumber and supplies - not including the bedding, which she already had. I’m just curious if it is possible to raise the bed and get taller cabinets to increase the space underneath and not affect stability. This cabinet measures 9 x 14 3/4 x 15. The bed has been tested with three full-size adults and two dogs so I’m not worried about weight capacity. It requires three pieces of IKEA furniture (the KURA bed, TROFAST storage piece, and BESTA shelf) and, of course, a slide. Looks great! The cabinet tops are attached BETWEEN the cabinet sides so they won’t hold more than a small child or pet’s weight. It looks great and is not all that difficult to imitate ! For my cabinets, go to ikea.com and look at their SEKTION wall cabinets. This is a perfect solution for anyone with limited closet or attic space.If you live in a rented apartment and are worried about drilling holes in the walls, think hard about building this bed. A very simple hack for a full size bed frame with storage. DIY Camp Loft Bed with Stairs Tutorial – Junior Size Bed Frame, DIY Western Saloon Kids Fort Playhouse Tutorial, DIY Diaper Box Into Storage Bin Tutorial-Super Easy, DIY Mud-Busting Boot Scrape Tutorial, Perfect for Father’s Day, DIY Recycled Tire Climbing Tower Tutorial, DIY Double Chair Bench With Table Tutorial-Video.

Get more details and a blueprint of the platform bed DIY on my blog. 11 Materials. One minor detail that I omitted from the IKEA Hack Platform Bed video: I installed four plastic furniture glides under every cabinet (one in each corner) to keep them off the floor by approximately 1/4″. Since we already had the KALLAX units, we wanted to use them up. Hello, Great stuff! Lowering the mattress frame will not affect stability, but there are two downsides: (1) it makes it harder to change the sheets and (2) it reduces the storage space underneath.

We hacked IKEA KALLAX units into a full size bed frame with storage to save space and money. IKEA Hack: DIY Platform Bed with Storage Out of Kitchen Cabinets Chris Heider, the man in the video came up with a brilliant alternative to buying a platform bed for his daughter, opting to build the bed frame out of kitchen cabinets from IKEA instead. OP may want to edit the original cost of the the cabinets.

Keep in mind that the entire structure will need to be disassembled to move (so don’t glue everything together!). Just wanted to follow up about this additional instruction. I especially like the hiding spot under the bed…perfect for hiding from the kids. What type of content do you plan to share with your subscribers? You’re bound to find something to inspire you.

Just change the size for the two smaller cabinets. This Platform bed DIY shows you how to turn seven standard SEKTION kitchen cabinets from IKEA into a platform bed with storage underneath. Can you give the dimensions of your mattress please? © COPYRIGHT 2020 IKEAHACKERS.NET | IKEA® is a registered trademark of Inter-IKEA Systems B.V. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Hallway storage from IKEA Metod kitchen cabinets, Storage bed that’s roomy enough for your entire wardrobe, http://handydad.tv/ikea-hack-platform-bed-qa/, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29040675/#/S69040664, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59034178/#/S79034455.

Chris, you mention attaching a 1 x 3 (or 2 x 3) along the bottom of the assembly – so this would raise the height of the whole structure? If you live in a rented apartment and are worried about drilling holes in the walls, think hard about building this bed. Its not about being a cheap frame – its about function and storage. These will prevent the cabinets from scratching the floor, and prevent the doors from rubbing on the floor. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. The YouTube Video description you talk about reinforcing the steps. Sure it could be made higher using taller cabinets or bookcases, but I probably wouldn’t use them structurally. $480. After screwing a section of cabinets together (before attaching the sections together at the corner), flip the assembly over and attach 1×3 or 2×3 (depending on thickness) across the bottom of the assembly – front and back.

If you have one of those IKEA bed frames with a pull-out storage station underneath then this is a great hack to try to quickly and easily make the bed look more glam and much more functional. I am having a hard time following what you are talking about there. You can certainly adapt my design to be free-standing; just make sure it is well-supported underneath. For our family anyway lol. I selected the cheapest doors (Häggeby white). Step 1: Position the KALLAX units in a U-shape, with the opening towards the wall where you want your head to be. Simplicity and effectiveness, easy to assemble and disassemble (good for moving). Chris Heider, the man in the video came up with a brilliant alternative to buying a platform bed for his daughter, opting to build the bed frame out of kitchen cabinets from IKEA instead.