It could also be a form of the Old English surname "Æsċer", meaning someone who lived by an ash tree or ash grove, suffix denoting an inhabitant. If you’re still not sure what to name your son, I highly recommend picking up a copy of The Baby Name … It also means blessing in Hebrew. Unusual, easy to pronounce & spell & none of the 'old man' connotations that DH objected to with most of my suggestions! Asher is a Hebrew name meaning happy and blessed.

Asher is a sweet name that fits in with today’s trends. My five and a half year old son is named Asher.

We struggled to find names we both liked, given that I liked the more 'patriarchal' biblical names like Abraham, Moses, etc.

Both names having biblical origins, I liked the idea of Asher, as it’s also biblical. Asher was also Lots of positivity about Asher in the Torah. I realized that if I didn’t want all my kids to have names ending in the -uh sound, now was the time to branch out. So I knew God had given us this name for our/his child! Our whole family has names that start with A, so we had to keep that goin. Today, Asher is more popular than ever, propelling its way to the top 100 and beyond.

Asher is considered a non-gendered name which means a name that can be used by both genders.

Asher Kyle just turned 15 a couple of months ago. It's great.

Asher Levis a fictional character created by Chaim Potok for his novels, My Name is Asher Lev and The Gift of Asher Lev. This action cannot be undone. To be sitting here crying - feeling like a terrible mum.

I thought you hated that name?” and “If you really do like the name, why did you react so strangely?” He said he was just giving me a hard time since I came up with the idea myself (for the other two boys, we sat down and pulled up name options and researched together). It means blessed/favored and joyful one.

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account. I personally love the name Asher!

It means “happy” Fortunate and Blessed. I ended up deciding it didn’t bother me enough to pick something else! I really like Asher Stone. My friend named her son Asher.

We heard the name while reading the Bible one day and it kinda got stuck in our heads and hearts. I don't know what I'm having yet, but boy names are so hard to settle on.

Plus it is a Bible name. I don't know why though haha. My partner loves Ash trees for carving, and with Ash being a string tree, this also appealed to us both. I have also never met another one. We felt like the words we got matched the definition of his name: happy, blessed, and fortunate. Do you know a lot of boys named Asher?

Create an account or log in to participate. From long-time favorites like James to new faces like Oliver, check out the boy names parents are loving.

Asher is an English and Germanic occupational surname for an ash maker, derived from the Middle English surname "Aschere" or from German" Äscher"(Ashman). You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer. Have a friend who called her DS Asher. Asher is an English and Germanic occupational surname for an ash maker, derived from the Middle English surname "Aschere" or from German " Äscher". Asher is a nice name but seems quite feminine to me.

Asher is name that's been used by parents who are considering unisex or non-gendered baby names--baby names that can be used for any gender.

or my favorite, *Ray It's not that popular. The name Asher means Blessed, Happy and is of Hebrew origin.

Oh, I really like it but I'd hate it getting shortened to Ash (which I think would happen) My fictional sons are Asher and Jesse (but we also live in New York), And I would never think of it as a girl's name if I heard it said out loud.

Asher first name came from the bible and his middle name Lane came from my late uncle middle name Thomas Lane.

It's a really nice name! Depending on the last name, I would sugesst middle names like: Sorry I dont think Asher sounds like a nice name for a boy.

Dad chose Asher and I love it because of its meaning. I quite liked it. we pray these things for our son always! I love the flow of the two-syllable names and how they come together — it seriously rolls off the tongue.)

This is page 1 of 2 (This thread has 48 messages.). Use it for me! This action cannot be undone.

The best washing machines of 2020, with picks from Samsung, Maytag, and LG, and energy-efficient washers, as well as reliable top-load and front-load washing machines. It sounds more unusual than many biblical names such as Joseph or Aaron, but isn't outlandish. My ex was not impressed with that idea at all.

What do you think of the name CaLissa LaFriend. Still have questions?

I know that nationally it’s a top 20 name but are you seeing tons of Henrys’? Good Luck. Asher shows Aryeh a drawing he’s made of him talking angrily in Russian. Actor Judd Nelson's middle name is Asher, as well as playwright Arthur Miller. I think Asher and Isaac would make good names for brothers, since Asher means "happy" and Isaac means "laughing". Your email address will not be published. Check out these well known icons that made this baby name famous. I think it is an awesome name though.

Asher is a great name and even if it was ranked higher in popularity, I think you should not let that deter you. Never heard the name before, but it really appeals to me. I just had to figure out how to propose it to my husband… His father passed away the year before, and he and his father had shared the middle name Paul. I absolutely love it. We wanted a tree name but Ash felt too short and we didn’t want Ashley or Ashron. It’s a beautiful name. Asher is a great name and even if it was ranked higher in popularity, I think you should not let that deter you. We wrote down a bunch of names that we liked and shared them with family and friends.

Its biblical. I have a little Asher Had a 100% positive reaction.

Goodness.

I've heard the name before but I teach 350-400 students every year and I've had a Ashton but I've never actually had an Asher. My dislikes are that it does sound a lot like other Ash names (Ashton, Ashley). Sometime in the last few years, I had seen the name Asher come through my social media news feed, and it stuck with me.

Asher is also one of the 12 tribes of Israel, which was special to us both. It also means blessing in Hebrew. (And this Asher LOVES water, so his brothers decided “Asher Splasher” was a good nickname for now.). Here’s the thing: I was due Monday, I could have this baby any time now…if she hated it so much, she’s had months to bring it up.His name is Asher Cole, and... Find advice, support, and good company (and some stuff just for fun). “happy, one who is blessed”. I liked that it’s a simple name, familiar, yet not so common. He is the only one at the entire daycare center and my ss doesn't have any in his grade at school for sure. Like “What changed? Less popular that his Biblical buddies Aaron or Noah, Asher is the perfect way to honor your religion without having to worry about popularity. We’ve searched high and low for the best mix of middle names for boys. I love that wasn’t very common back in 2004.

Would have been dd2's middle name, had she been ds. He was one of the twelve sons of Jacob who is also the founder of one of the twelve tribes of Israel. What do you think of the answers? Ranked #37 for the most popular boy names in the United … Asher is a great name and even if it was ranked higher in popularity, I think you should not let that deter you. Asher is typically a male name but some folks use it for their baby girls as well. Learn more about, The 100 Most Popular Baby Names of 2019 so Far, According to Nameberry, The Top Baby Names of 2018 Were Just Released. My older children are named Anna, and John. A diminutive is a name that’s like Asher sounds, you might also like these names that sound like Asher, but shorter. I really like to look into the meanings of names, and since we're having a rainbow baby, I liked the meaning of Asher (happy). I'm keeping this one on the list, since it's the first one we've both liked.