Hi Nami, I have been checking out some food blogs recently n chanced upon yours. Tofu has been eating as it is (no cooking) for years, especially for chilled tofu. Hiyayakko is very versatile and you can be creative with the toppings and seasonings. As the chilled tofu is mild in taste, it complements an amazing range of flavors and textures. Please read my disclosure policy for details. Hi Alison! Will continue to chk out ur wonderful blog! I used the exact toppings suggested in the recipe and it was just perfect. Hi Roy! What a perfect way to use up my silken tofu! Maybe the fridge-cold temperature brings it out. Cut into bite sized cubes and transfer to serving plate. It seems so simple I wasn’t expecting it to be anything special, but it’s so cool and refreshing and delicious! You have plenty of shiso leaves from your garden so this dish is wonderful. You suggest to be creative in using the toppings and that can goes limitless as you have shown. Before you bring it to the table, have a quick check at the dish. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. I added ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil, it was fantastic.

Be gentle when handling since silken tofu … for this recipe and the topping of …dried wakame seaweed… do i just crumble it on top dry or hydrate it and chop it up?? I love eating cold tofu with just some Boruto flakes and masago. Put each piece of tofu on a serving dish. In Japan we have different types of wakame (non-dried, large wakame, etc etc) but usually outside of Japan, we only get dried ones. Incredibly cooling and quick to make, this salad feels like a smooth, creamy popsicle on the palate. . I’m sure everyone can take advantage of extra recipes from you – I love your Singaporean localized way! Hi Lion! Instead of ginger, I used fresh lime drops as topping, with green onions and soy sauce and it was sublime! I wouldn’t put warm ingredients on top as it’s sort of defeat the purpose… I hope I’m answering your questions here… My kids’ focus is more on toppings so they go crazy with corns and hams. Sign up for the free Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! Update: This post was originally published on August 17, 2019. Drain the tofu for 10-15 minutes by wrapping a paper towel around or over a flat bamboo sieve. Log in. Slice the green onions as thinly as possible. It’s a great addition to a main dish (when you need one more dish to the table), and it can be a good meal on a hot summer day when you don’t feel like eating. Once the liquid is drained, cut it into 4-6 pieces. Reminds me so much of the flavors of agedashi tofu but with half the work.

Hiyayakko is a Japanese chilled tofu appetizer and it’s usually served during the summertime. I think it fits the character so well.

I don’t know if someone already asked this, but just to double check, you don’t have to drain the tofu?

Thank you. Known as Hiyakko Tofu. What should I do if I worry a little eating the tofu without cooking it before sever? It’s the kind of food that makes me wish I grew up in Japan eating healthier, simpler foods than I did in my childhood. Thanks, Hi Lee, Hiyayakko (cold tofu) is usually served in summer time and the main purpose of serving this appetizer is to refresh you and get some appetite before main course. I will try it with some shiso from my garden and other different toppings soon! Yeah it should be Umeshu.

®/™©2020 Yummly. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/shopping-cooking-guide-different-tofu-types.html, https://www.justonecookbook.com/dashi-powder/, https://www.justonecookbook.com/dried-bonito-flakes-katsuobushi/.

Carefully remove the block of soft tofu from packaging without breaking. Other optional garnishes include grated ginger, edamame, wakame seaweed, thin sliced cucumber, pickled ginger, shiso leaves, cherry tomatoes, corn kernels, and bacon.