Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Dost thou still retain thine integrity? Job was a wealthy but righteous and God-fearing man. But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Click to enable/disable Google Analytics tracking. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica.

Job 2:7; Job 2:9; Job 2:11. NIV®. Job 2 On another day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him. Click to enable/disable _gid - Google Analytics Cookie. for, behold, thy memorial is abolished from the earth, sons and daughters, the pangs... Read verse in Septuagint Bible w/ Apocrypha Due to security reasons we are not able to show or modify cookies from other domains.

(9-10) Job holds his integrity before his wife. We may request cookies to be set on your device. Yes, all that a man has he will give for his life.

The question implies that, in her view, he ought not to be expected to mantles, patience and resignation in these circumstances. (11-13) The consolation of Job’s friends.

20. “A man will give all he has for his own life.

2 I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just with God?. Click to enable/disable _gat_* - Google Analytics Cookie. The outward calamities from which Job first suffered are narrated in chapter 1.

You can check these in your browser security settings.

She expected that God would at once interpose and destroy him. Job 2:9-10 New International Version (NIV). Job himself first broke silence.” (Clarke), v. “We leave Job and his friends seated in silence. He did manage to keep his wife through all the tragedy; she'll come in really handy in verse 2:9 ; you may want to read that verse RIGHT NOW!. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” In all this, Job did not sin in what he said. curse God, and die.

Then Job took a piece of broken pottery and scraped himself with it as he sat among the ashes.

2. “Save his life”: The Lord sovereignly limited the Adversary, although health seemed preferable. All rights reserved worldwide. Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the website, refuseing them will have impact how our site functions.

1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.. 2 And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou?

Then Satan says that the test has not been a complete and a sufficient one. Dost thou still retain thine integrity?

9 His wife said to him, “Are you still maintaining your integrity? Salem Media Group. dost thou still retain thine integrity?

Curse God and die!”, He replied, “You are talking like a foolish. It is not wholly unnatural, and as an exercise of the fancy is not without ingenuity and plausibility, and yet the simple but abrupt statement in the Hebrew seems best to accord with nature. "That the man who has made expensive offerings to his deity, in hope of gaining some great blessing, and who has been disappointed, will pour out all his imprecations on the god whose good offices have (as he believes) been prevented by some superior deity.

His wife said to him, “Are you still maintaining your integrity? Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. 27:30. sprinkled dust on his head toward heaven. He is the lowest of all gods? consec. Satan Attacks Job’s Health. We use cookies to let us know when you visit our websites, how you interact with us, to enrich your user experience, and to customize your relationship with our website.

“Skin for skin!” Satan replied. 9, Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite. And still he.

Proud member Copyright © 2019 by Zondervan.

Roberts supposes that this was a pagan sentiment, and says that nothing is more common than for the pagan, under certain circumstances, to curse their gods. What Job experienced is classic trial - extreme, but classic. Please see our Privacy Policy for cookie usage details. Job 2:9 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] Job 2:9, NIV: "His wife said to him, 'Are you still maintaining your integrity?Curse God and die!'"

Job 2:9 And when much time had passed, his wife said to him, How long wilt thou hold out, saying, Behold, I wait yet a little while, expecting the hope of my deliverance?

All rights reserved worldwide.

Job Chapter 9. Salem Media Group. From the foregoing fact, that amidst all his sufferings hitherto Job has preserved and proved his תּמּה (except in the book of Job, only Proverbs 11:3), the fut. Cancel {{#items}} {{/items}} Job 2.

The sense is, that nothing but death was to be expected, and the sooner he provoked God to cut him off from the land of the living, the better.

We provide you with a list of stored cookies on your computer in our domain so you can check what we stored.

1:36; Job 6:19; Jer. And when much time had passed, his wife said to him, How long wilt thou hold out, saying, Behold, I wait yet a little while, expecting the hope of my deliverance? They are to be admired because they spoke their opinion about Job and his condition to Job himself, instead of speaking about him to others. for, behold, thy memorial is abolished from the earth, sons and daughters, the pangs and pains of my womb which I bore in vain with sorrows; and thou thyself sittest down to spend the nights in the open air among the corruption of worms, and I am a wanderer and a servant from place to place and house to house, waiting for the setting of the sun, that I may rest from my labours and my pangs which now beset me: but say some word against the Lord, and die.

and die—that is, take thy farewell of God and so die. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. Proud member

But stretch out Your hand now, and touch his, bone and his flesh, and he will surely curse You to Your face!”, So Satan went out from the presence of the. You can also change some of your preferences. (l) Meaning, what do you gain from serving God, seeing he thus plagues you, as though he were your enemy? not as blaming him for insisting and leaning on his integrity, and justifying, and not humbling himself before God, when he should rather confess his sins and prepare for death; for this is contrary to the sense of the phrase used, Job 2:3; where Job is applauded by the Lord himself for holding fast his integrity; nor will Job's answer comport with this sense of her words; nor did she speak as wondering that he should still retain it among so many sore temptations and afflictions; though indeed persevering grace is a marvellous thing; but then he would never have blamed her for such an expression: nor said she this as upbraiding and reproaching him for his religion and continuance in it, and mocking at him, and despising him on that account, as Michal did David; but as suggesting to him there was nothing in religion, and advising him to throw up the profession of it; for he might easily see, by his own case and circumstances, that God had no more regard to good men than to bad men, and therefore it was in vain to serve him; the temptation she laboured under was the same with that good man's, Asaph, Psalm 73:11. curse God, and die: which is usually interpreted, curse God and then destroy thyself; or utter some such blasphemous words, as will either provoke him to destroy thee, or will make thee liable to be taken notice of by the civil magistrate and put to death for it; or do this in revenge for his hand upon thee, and then die; or, though thou diest; but these are all too harsh and wicked to be said by one that had been trained up in a religious manner, and had been so many years the consort of so holy and good a man: the words may be rendered, "bless God and die" (h); and may be understood either sarcastically, go on blessing God till thou diest; if thou hast not had enough of it, take thy fill of it, and see what will be the issue of it; nothing but death; wilt thou still continue "blessing God and dying?"

iv. Curse God and die!”. ((h) "benedic Deo", Montanus, Piscator, Schmidt, Michaelis. draws the conclusion: there was no previous reason for the injury which Satan had urged God to decree for Job.

Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?”(C), In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.(D). —. (l) "Valere jubeas numen et morere", Schultens; "valedic Deo", so some in Mercer. We need 2 cookies to store this setting. Curse God - See the notes at Job 1:11.

3 If he will contend with him, he cannot answer him one of a thousand.. 4 He is wise in heart, and mighty in strength: who hath hardened himself against him, and hath prospered?. You always can block or delete cookies by changing your browser settings and force blocking all cookies on this website. Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast to your integrity? Job wanted an occasion to speak to God about the injustice of his suffering. 2.

(A) Curse God and die!”(B), 10 He replied, “You are talking like a foolish[a] woman. do you still hold fast to your integrity? God allowed Satan to take away from Job his wealth, his family, and his health.

(g) T. Hieros. holds fast to his integrity, although you incited Me against him. Then said his wife to him, Do you still retain your integrity?

Dr. Good renders it, "And yet dost thou hold fast thine integrity, blessing God and dying?" There is calm around them, but we feel that the air is heavy, and that there is a tempest in the sky. 11:21, Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast to your integrity? In a lingering time of chaos and uncertainty, are you longing to rediscover God's grace?

2. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools.

came again to present themselves before the Lord, and the Accuser, Satan, # 2:1b Hebrew and the satan; similarly throughout this chapter. Affliction, affecting Job’s property and even family, failed to destroy his religious integrity. Job 2:6 "And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he [is] in thine hand; but save his life." 9. curse God—rather, "renounce" God. She expressed, however, the feelings of corrupt human nature everywhere when sorely afflicted. “They believed him to be suffering for heavy crimes; and seeing him suffer so much, they were not willing to add to his distress by invectives or reproach. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools.

3. These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our website and to use some of its features. And the LORD said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Satan answered the LORD, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.”, Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? Job 2:9-13. This is all that we know of the wife of Job. so some (i) render the words, referring to what he had said in Job 1:21; or else really and sincerely, as advising him to humble himself before God, confess his sins, and "pray" (k) unto him that he would take him out of this world, and free him from all his pains and sorrow; or rather the sense is, "bless God": take thy farewell of him (l); bid adieu to him and all religion, and so die; for there is no good to be hoped for on the score of that, here or hereafter; or at least not in this life: and so it amounts to much the same as before; and this sense is confirmed by Job's answer, which follows.