Now, the truth of this analogy furnishes an explanation of the fact that so many persons in the world have a great deal of Bible know- ledge, an abundance of moral truth, without having much of spiritual life.

)The "I am" of ChristBp. The soul starves. Christ meets the hungering of conscience, which feels that God must punish sin, but is appeased as it perceives that it has been punished in Christ.3. It is food that SUITS all — old and young, weak and strong. H. Spurgeon.If anybody were to say to me, "I have a man at home who stands in my hall, and has stood there for years, but he has never eaten a mouthful of bread all the time, nor cost me a penny for food," I should say to myself, "Oh, yes, that is a bronze man, I know, or a plaster cast of a man.

Better believe half of what you do, intelligently, with your whole soul, than believe it all, languidly, ignorantly.5. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select an Ending Point The cross is life to the one, but death remains in the case of the other.Two or three remarks in conclusion.1. They never seek additional ground of trust beyond Christ.2. Thus, for instance, the sun is ninety-two millions of miles from the earth.

And this analogy, besides an explanation, suggests also the great duty we owe to our moral or spiritual being. The essential meaning of my physical life is, that I come into contact with food. Today is also Lord's Supper Sunday – when we celebrate the salvation that is ours because of the body and blood of Christ upon the cross. 5. Jesus is the WORD that comes from the mouth of God. It does not remain bread. They never seek additional ground of trust beyond Christ.2. But all the effects of an unfilled hunger began to appear in them; their flesh wasted from their bones, their strength leaked till they scarcely had the energy of an infant; they could not crawl on in their journey more than a mile or two a day. Now, not otherwise is it with the life of the soul. 5.

A fourth condition of spiritual assimilation is thought, intelligence. Moreover, every living thing, whatever it may be, whether lowest in the scale of existence, or highest, must have food appropriate to itself, or it cannot live. The heart has its hunger, but in Christ its roving affections find rest.5. Christ, and not something else; not philosophy, not art, not knowledge. What a striking illustration we have here, then, of some of our Saviour's words! As the hunger of the Israelites was appeased by the manna, as the hunger of the multitude was appeased by the miraculous multiplication of loaves in the wilderness, so have myriads in every age partaken of the true and spiritual Bread, and have borne witness to its efficacy to satisfy their deepest cravings, and to nourish their spiritual life. It is said that the Upas-tree is girt in with a circle of dead and rotting carcases of bird and beast. (b)His blood, which clearly refers to His atoning death.II. Many of us are daily guilty in this matter. The other hunts through the soil, wet with the blood of the Saviour, for gold, and lifts up his face to blaspheme, when he finds it not. In eating it we incorporate its nature with ours, so that it becomes part of our very selves — bone of our bones and flesh of our flesh — and in a very real sense it comes in this way to participate with us in the enjoyment of human life.