At the end of a 10-week course, you'll have written about 20 pages. These days, you don't need lecture notes for online courses, because (a) there are no lectures, (b) the notes are already on the web site, (c) books are relatively cheap, and (d) because you are doing an online course, you must also have access to the entire Web. You, the learner. IEEE websites place cookies on your device to give you the best user experience. This is one of many possibilities, but it will give you some idea of the types of question that you can usefully ask yourself. Ideas for action, based on this session... What I most liked about this session was... What I most disliked about this session was... Miscellaneous interesting facts I learned in this session... simply a summary of the course material. A record of everything you read in this subject area, while you're doing the course, with a sentence or two on the main points an article was making and how useful you found it.

So instead of lecture notes, we use reflective journals. A log is a record of events, but a journal is a record of your reflections and thoughts. At the end of the course (when you're not going to start any new pages), copy each page heading from the contents page onto a little scrap of paper, and sort the scraps into alphabetical order. You can store the pages in a loose-leaf binder, as a permanent record of your learning progress. This includes the formal sessions, the related reading and any other preparation, such as work in groups. What did I read for this session (apart from the notes)? By telling yourself what you've learned, you can track the progress you've made.

Depending on your preference, a reflective journal could take any of these forms: Whichever form you first write the journal in, you'll need to submit each weekly section by email - see our instructions for submitting assignments. If you keep the finished journal, you can read through it later, to remind you of what you learned in the course.

More about reflective journals There's an excellent book, Learning Journals , by Jenny A Moon (Kogan Page, London, 1999), but there's no need to read it unless you're really interested in the concept. Your reflections on this course, and how well it is meeting your needs. A pad with very small pages - about the size of a shirt pocket or mobile phone. Some people prefer to write at a computer keyboard, while others prefer to write by hand. The act of writing the notes, and deciding what to write, was a major factor in students' learning. What did I previously think was true, but now know to be wrong? Log in, Free discussion group for those involved in training. The best solution is to offer a range of methods to individuals, give them an exercise with each format, work with each and play with each – then leave it to the individual learning to either adopt one of the templates given or develop their own. Lots of little computer files. Make sure you are logged in to your Google account. If you find it easier to write directly at a keyboard, print out each page of the journal as you finish it. What have I changed my mind about, as a result of this session? Write them down without looking at the course notes - then compare them with those notes, to make sure you remembered the points accurately. You also begin to notice the gaps in your knowledge and skills. There's an excellent book, Learning Journals, by Jenny A Moon (Kogan Page, London, 1999), but there's no need to read it unless you're really interested in the concept. Excellent software for this includes. One big computer file, normally created with a word processing program such as MS Word, and lots of subheadings. Points that you found specially interesting in your reading, and would like to follow up in more detail. By using our websites, you agree to the placement of these cookies. Then you can create an index, and put it on the last page of the notebook. Are your learning journals outstanding and relevant? What have I changed my mind about, as a result of this session? These items can include: This Part 2 stuff can be messy, because there's no fixed order to it. Therefore, students had to attend lectures and write notes while they listened. What did we not cover that I expected we should? Answer only the questions that apply - but think carefully about whether each question applies or not. Log in. This will last for years, and will be a reference book for you, long after you finish the course. What were three main things I learned from this session? You can keep a learning journal for any course that you undertake, or even for your daily work. Which sources did you learn most from? Part 2 This part will be more useful after you've finished the course. What do I need to do to overcome these uncertainties. As an international, multi-disciplinary, peer-refereed journal, Learning and Instruction provides a platform for the publication of the most advanced scientific research in the areas of learning, development, instruction and teaching. What did I read for this session (apart from the notes)? You may also want to include private thoughts in your journal - something that you don't want the instructor to see, but might be useful for you later. There's an old saying "you don't know what you know till you've written it down" - and several research studies have found this to be true. Even if you prefer to read from a computer screen, we suggest that you keep a printed copy as well. After all, you're meant to be learning about the subject you're studying, not how to overcome software problems. What did we not cover that I expected we should? Special terms used in this subject (build yourself a glossary). Learning journal … If you use outlining, hyperlinking, highlighting new topics in different colours, and/or sorting paragraphs into alphabetical order, it's easier to find an entry later. Four ways to reduce the messiness are: One suggestion: if you decide to keep your reflective journal on a computer, try out the software first on a small scale. If you need to refer to your journal in a few years' time, the chances are that the computer file will no longer be readable - perhaps because the software is superseded, or the disk crashes, or the many other problems that occur with computer files over time. It's a mixture of all sorts of thoughts you have about the course that don't fit into any specific session. Most of those notes simply recorded the contents of the lecture. (Did you know the material already?) Questions that came up in your mind, because of points made in material you read on this topic. If you don't feel confident using it, or find it too restrictive, it's best to write your journal by hand. Entries in a reflective journal can include: Each time you submit your reflective journal, think back over everything you've done since the last time. The purpose of a reflective journal is that you should be the main one to benefit from it. You will get good marks by showing that you've been reading widely, and raising issues that flow from that reading, and making it clear that you have been thinking a lot about these issues. Use a pad with very small pages, and write each note on a separate page. However, think about how much more powerful and sustainable the learning would be if these episodes were joined together into a transformational learning journey. Students from other institutions (including the Open University) are also welcome to use these ideas, though the conditions for marking and submission may be different. Your email address will not be published. Journal of Workplace Learning - Volume 9 Issue 1 to Volume 32 Issue 7. Because learning is such an individual thing, the marks for the learning journal will not vary much: mostly between 6 and 8 out of 10. What was the most interesting thing I read for this session (mark it above with an asterisk) - why was that? ☞ Student Learning Journal Template. Feel free to modify this two-part format to suit your needs. And what grabbed my attention? If no template is yet available for this journal, please follow the format of the sample references and citations as shown in this Guide. Part 1 A page (or two) for each session, completed by you in order of the sessions. Two reasons: (a) to encourage you to get around to writing it, and (b) so the instructor can see any problems you're having, and help solve them.

Make sure you are logged in to your Google account. We offer free training for the most competitive skills of modern times. Think "What were the three main points that were new to me, in the material I read today?" Complete this information after each time you do some work on the course. Number the pages (if they're not already numbered), and at the start the notebook create a contents page as you go. Later, you can tear the pages out of the pad and sort them so that similar notes go together - e.g. Learning journals vary greatly from setting to setting and commonly many learning journals are now completed through online apps and websites. This will put the spreadsheet into your Google Drive.Once it’s there, you can use it over and over! So why are you given a mark for it? What were three main things I learned from this session? A hundred years ago, distance education didn't exist, and textbooks were very expensive to buy. a learning log. All that copying isn't a waste of time: it will help you recall the course material. Feel free to use varied forms of writing: quotations, tables, diagrams, and pictures (either sketched by you, or found elsewhere). After you finish the course, you'll probably forget most of the details, but you may need to use that knowledge again, perhaps years afterwards. As a rough guide,we expect a learning journal to have about 2 pages for each weekly module, and about the same for your summary at the end of the course. One thing I learned in this session that I may be able to use in future is... Issues that interested me a lot, and that I would like to study in more detail. You can keep a learning journal for any course that you undertake, or even for your daily work. On the Web, see www.maslibraries.org/infolit/samplers/spring/doub.html. If you make notes whenever you think of something, the only extra time it will take for the journal is to type it out - maybe an hour a week. How your learning in this course is related to what you're learning in other ways. The main books and other writings on this subject, for possible later reference. After an online class (immediately after it, if possible) it's a good idea to reinforce your learning by trying to remember the main things you learned. As there is no clear set way of completing a learning journal it can sometimes be difficult to judge what should be included; whether there is too much or too little, photos or no photos? Click the link above and make a copy of the template. Learning Journal is a MOOC portal. Later, you can transcribe the relevant notes in to a hard-bound notebook, in which you write clearly by hand. Which did you learn least from, and why was that? Use a notebook, starting every new topic on a new page. You can keep a learning journal for any course that you undertake, or even for your daily work.