It was a long time coming but you can finally connect an external hard disc drive (HDD) to your PlayStation 4 (PS4) or PS4 Pro. Press the Options button while you’re in Storage and an option to move to extended storage will appear. Removable disk drives—either USB flash drives or external hard drives—should be easy to use.

[Updated to include more recent information. Plug your external Hard Drive into your PS4.

If you disconnect the external drive while the console is powered on, data loss or corruption may occur. If your drive has it's own power supply, and you're worried about power coming from the wall outlet, then just unplug it from the wall. In addition to papers in professional scientific journals, I’ve written the book Nutrition for Cyclists: Eating and Drinking Before, During and After the Ride, articles for Ars Technica, Priceonomics, Psychology Today and Massively, and the blogs The Info Monkey and Tuned In To Cycling. The external drive needs to be formatted to work with the PS4s and after formatting, I had 4.6 TB of usable storage space. ], I’m a cognitive scientist, retired professor, musician, gamer, and avid cyclist with a B.A in History, an M.S. CE-41899-1.

It seems incredibly similar to the external hard drive solution available on Xbox One. However, with that much storage, it should be easier to decide which games to banish to your Library when you need to make room. It’s worth noting that you’ll need a USB 3.0 HDD. Here’s how to do it.

Games are easily moved from the internal to the external drive.

© 2020 Forbes Media LLC. We’d recommend that you leave the external hard drive plugged in at all times unless it’s absolutely necessary for you to remove it. If you hold down the PlayStation button and access the quick menu, you can hit ‘Stop Using Extended Storage’ to safely disconnected.

Suggestion: Connect the external storage device directly to the PS4™. The days of swapping games in … Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. Most Hard drives on the market are now 3.0, but if you’ve got an old one lying around, it might not be compatible. CE-41902-6. PS4: External HDD Support. Connecting the HDD to either console is easy and only takes a few minutes.

You can now choose which is the primary install location as well as move applications and games between your internal hard drive and external hard drive. It’s worth noting that you’ll need a USB 3.0 HDD.

Even faster load times can be had with an external SSD (solid state drive) if you're willing to pay a much higher cost per GB of storage and do some after-market work to slot the SSD into a USB enclosure. When it happened to me, the process didn’t take long and I didn’t notice any loss of data. There’s also an extremely safe way to stop using an external storage solution. The external HDD will now show up as Extended Storage under Storage (which is located in Settings). System & Hardware : Storage & Data If your PS4 doesn’t have enough HDD space to install a game, you can use an Extended Storage Device to add more storage. So there you have it. In system update 4.50 which has just been released for all PS4 and PS4 Pro owners, you can now use an external hard drive instead of having to put a larger internal hard drive in your system.

By default, the external HDD will be the default location for new installations as long as it’s plugged in. At this point the game tiles which are stored on the external hard drive will disappear from your PlayStation until it’s reconnected.

You’ll have to format a USB Hard Drive before you … Digital Foundry compared load times from a Seagate 4 TB Expansion drive and the PS4's internal drive and found the external Seagate drive was noticeably faster on every game they tried running on either the base PS4 or the PS4 Pro. Wherever a game is stored, save files, screenshots and video clips are stored on the internal drive. You can use any external HDD that has a USB 3.0 connection. The PS4 has two ports on the front of the console; the Pro has two on the front and a third on the rear. If I put the system into rest mode it appears to shut the drive off but when I power back on I get a screen saying my external was not shut down properly followed by another saying it is damaged and needs to be repaired (after which it works properly again). in History and Philosophy of Science, and a Ph.D. in.

It’ll also need to be 250gb at the absolute minimum and a maximum of 8TB; The new USB Extended Storage menu is located under Devices.

You’ll see a message on the screen saying the USB device is not supported because the drive hasn’t been formatted to work with the console.

Most Hard drives on the market are now 3.0, but if you’ve got an old one lying around, it might not be compatible. Common Errors When Using an External Storage Device CE-41901-5.