Amaze your friends with your new-found knowledge! Many of the soldiers who died in the war left families behind. To do increasingly better (in some field, activity, or situation) than someone or something else.

past participle. the book to my brother for a couple of weeks. (leave someone/something behind) to increase the distance by which you are ahead of someone or something.

It’s no surprise that quite a few of the words on Collins Word of the Year 2020 shortlist have one big thing in common: the pandemic. "I think people would be more sympathetic if they did not, GUESTS in a mad dash to check out of hotels often, Travelodge has revealed some of the more bizarre things that visitors have managed to, London, Jun 25 (ANI): A list of bizarre things that British students, "After a year of working hard and playing hard, it is no surprise that students forget to pack everything at the end of term - and what they.

To abandon or forsake someone or something.

Over the last several months, when factories, offices, restaurants and other places of social gathering have been (intermittently) shut, people’s creativity has taken all sorts of unexpected directions. Powerhouse retail chains continue to leave local businesses behind. To cause something to remain as a result, consequence, or byproduct of something else.

Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! The other climbers were fitter and more experienced and I was worried I’d get left behind. 7.

[be VERB -ed PARTICLE] I got left behind at school with the maths. We boarded the plane to Tahiti and left all our troubles behind. He died at the age of 43, leaving behind his wife and two children. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/leave+behind, A Roman gentleman stood by his side and explained to him the skilful construction and ingenuity of the vast fabric and its wonderful architecture, and when they had left the skylight he said to the emperor, 'A thousand times, your Sacred Majesty, the impulse came upon me to seize your Majesty in my arms and fling myself down from yonder skylight, so as to, "Now I have got you," said Sancho; "in that case the fame of them who bring the dead to life, who give sight to the blind, cure cripples, restore health to the sick, and before whose tombs there are lamps burning, and whose chapels are filled with devout folk on their knees adoring their relics be a better fame in this life and in the other than that which all the heathen emperors and knights-errant that have ever been in the world have left or may, It is also much better for those tyrants who quit their kingdom to do this than to, There are around 19,000 students in NUI Galway and they, Illustrated with vintage black-and-white photographs and reproductions of correspondence throughout, What We, once the wind came up, we soon left the land behind us, Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, the webmaster's page for free fun content, leave be to avoid touching, bothering, or communicating with. once the wind came up, we soon left the land behind us, Get the latest news and gain access to exclusive updates and offers.

Synonyms for leave behind include get ahead of, leave in the dust, leave standing, move ahead of, outdo, outpace, outrun, outstrip, overtake and shake off. I understand your decision to move abroad, but just don't leave your friends and family behind. Sleeping With Sirens debuted "Leave It All Behind" during their performance at London's All Points East Festival on May 21, 2019. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/leave+behind, 1.

left behind. 5. I hated it at first because it meant leaving behind all my friends.