1. Make two more layers of 1/3, 1/3 and 2 tbsp. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.

After you make the gyros, if you have some more leftover lamb (whether you made a grilled leg or my slow cooked leg of lamb), you can make leftover lamb moussaka! The next was pretty basic just saute onions and garlic, add the left over lamb (ground up in the processor) season with all spice and s/p. That looks fab. I followed this recipe very closely, (I used ground beef, exactly 1.5 lbs.) Remove from heat.

Cover the partially-constructed casserole with plastic wrap and transfer cheese sauce to a sealed container.

Add the salt, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese to the sauce and stir to combine. Thank you.

This is important in a casserole! 2. If you are planning to serve this to a crowd, you can make the eggplant, the sauce, and the bechamel the day before and then simply assemble and bake the day you are serving. I've made this recipe so many times - for family, friends, recovering patients, and everyone raves about it!

I used golden raisins, didn't add all the juice from the tomatoes, used fat free milk in the sauce and also added 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to sauce(a must)...SO GOOD..cant believe its low calorie! Alternatively, if you are feeling adventurous, why not try a Greek red wine? My husband and I really liked this...I only added a little more tomato sauce to it and it was wonderful!! Drain. Sprinkle over any remaining cheese. Place in your preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is browned. 1. Add in the chopped tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until thick. No, I wouldn’t do that.

While I call for parmesan (since it is widely available in the US), the analogous Greek cheese is.

Take the sauce off the heat and, while whisking constantly, ladle some of the sauce into the bowl with the egg yolks. Spent a lot of time making this dish. Add lamb, currants, and next 7 ingredients (currants through garlic); bring to a boil. We've all been there after Sunday lunch, too full to even contemplate dessert (well, for at least an hour) but faced with an abundance of uneaten meat. I just thought for the time and effort I put into it, it should have tasted better.

Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese. This lamb-and-eggplant casserole is the national dish of Greece. Definitely a great comfort food. 2. Click here for details. Set the sauce aside. Add the ground meat and cook, stirring occasionally, until just browned, about 5 minutes. In a bowl whisk together Greek yogurt and beaten egg. Serve with a green salad, crusty bread, and a dry red wine. Slowly add the yolk mixture to the rest of the milk mixture, then add the cheese and blend well. I'll make my go to white sauce for the top of the freezer version. Post whatever you want, just keep it seriously about eats, seriously. The moussaka can be partially made ahead.

Arrange potatoes in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. It was fun to eat at my party! And the eggplant is quite lovely in the recipe. Add about 1 cup of the hot bechamel to the eggs. Personally, I think this moussaka is perfect with just a big green salad, or if you have a little more time, a delicious Greek salad, but if you need a few extra carbs in your life, this dish would be lovely with a big chunk of crusty bread to mop up all the sauce. Get new recipes in your inbox every week!

This is my meaty take on that same recipe, really – but with a few extra little tweaks to make it even easier! To Assemble: This recipe looks FAB and I will be trying your version the next time! Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). Add the steaming milk and whisk constantly as you bring the sauce to a simmer. Luci’s Morsels | fashion. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 7-10 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Definitely for those days when you feel like puttering in the kitchen and maybe have someone to help with dishes! Toss the sliced eggplant with salt and let it sit for 1 hour in a colander. 3. Greek comfort food at its best! Remove the sauce from the heat. If you want your moussaka to be very dry and not have any liquid in the bottom, add a layer of dry breadcrumbs to the bottom before you start layering. If I hadn't I think it would have been too runny. Step two – Heat a flame-proof casserole dish on the stove top on a medium to low heat.Chop the onion, and fry it.Peel and crush the garlic and add to the onion. Cook for about two minutes.

« Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sliders and Crock-Pot Review, 4 Perfect Recipes for Al Fresco Dining and #CookBlogShare Week 31 ». Wipe skillet with paper towels. Transfer the cooked slices to a rack set over a baking sheet to drain while you sauté the remaining eggplant.

While I developed this recipe to use up leftover lamb roast, you can switch to ground lamb. I love moussaka and clever you are using leftover lamb to make it! Easy . My bf liked the dish a lot more than I did--maybe it will taste better after a day or so? Place slices in bottom of baking dish. Set aside. Don't let it go to waste – rustle up something amazing with our top-rated leftover lamb recipes. Cooking projects for people who'd like nothing more than to spend a sunday afternoon surrounded by the wonderful aromas of the kitchen. I joined this website just to comment about this moussaka.