The positive degree. • I am smarter than my neighbor. They are used in sentences where a subject is compared to a group of objects. Download Grammarly's app to help with eliminating grammar errors and finding the right words. Do you disagree with something on this page.

• Who are the least dedicated workers in this department? Some have more than one option: little can become littler or less (comparative), and littlest or least (superlative). Comparative Superlative; good: better: best: bad: worse: worst: little: less: least: much: more: most: far: further / farther: furthest / farthest 6.

Words like "prettier" and "richer" (formed from the adjectives "pretty" and "rich") are known as comparative adjectives.

What is the least tedious/laborious way to master English? True or false? In many cases, both forms are used, although one usage will be more common than the other. ( with adjectives) Less identifies the negative comparative form of all comparable adjectives. 5. Examples: These adjectives form the superlative either by adding -est or by preceeding the adjective with most. What Is a Superlative Adverb? Usage. Superlative = the least + adjective. What/who + be/main verb + the least + adjective (noun)? There is less security now than in my grandparents’ time, but there is more opportunity. • I ordered the least spicy dish.

Comparative adjectives are used to compare differences between the two objects they modify (larger, smaller, faster, higher). Jim and Jack are both my friends, but I like Jack, We all threw our rocks at the same time. The form depends on the number of syllables in the original adjective. What is the least difficult way to become rich? Examples: Adjectives with two syllables can form the comparative either by adding -er or by preceeding the adjective with more. For example: Subject + be + less + adjective + (than + object). • Your friend is richer than his cousin. • Mr. Buick’s team is less motivated than Mrs. Maguire’s (team). © EF Education First Ltd 2020.

Forming comparatives and superlatives is easy. 8. Comparatives and superlatives also express lessening or de-intensifing qualities. Adjectives with one syllable that end in -e add -r and -st. For example: white, whiter, whitest; Remember that comparative … 9. For adjectives ending in y, change the y to an i before adding the ending. It compares Claire's performance with somebody else's.) 2. Who among your friends has the least stressful job? Straight talking and methodical, "Smashing Grammar" (Our Grammar Book, 2019), Read more about the three degrees of adjectives, Read more about this point on the page about "degree."

The second item of comparison can be omitted if it is clear from the context (final example below). Claire dances less elegantly.  Superlative = (adjective)-est/iest; or the most + adjective. Say why and give examples.

• You three are the least well-behaved in of the whole class. (Here, "less elegantly" is a comparative adverb. • Who does the least desirable jobs?

For example, with the adjective intelligent, the negative comparative is less intelligent. Examples: 1. All rights reserved. Be + subject + less + adjective + (than + object)?

• Is butter less fattening than bread? Noun (subject) + verb + the + superlative adjective + noun (object). • What is the least attractive building in the city centre?

Some common irregular adverbs are well, better, best and badly, worse, worst. These very common adjectives have completely irregular comparative and superlative forms. Why? A similar form is the negative superlative . To lessen or de-intensity an adjective quality, we use, Forms of be: be, am, is, are, was, were, been, being. What is the least productive use of your time? Regular adjectives with two syllables can often also form the comparative and superlative like adjectives with one syllable. The group that is being compared with can be omitted if it is clear from the context (final example below). Add -er for the comparative and -est for the superlative. For example: small, happy, wide, beautiful; Read more about the positive degree.

• Mr. Lum is the most productive person in the company. If you are not sure whether a two-syllable adjective can take a comparative or superlative ending, play it safe and use more and most instead. Examples:

Subject + be/main verb + the least + adjective. • My computer course was less difficult than my psychology course.

What are the least interesting topics for you. Comparatives and Superlatives Review: Intensification, Comparative = (adjective)-er/ier; or more + adjective My rock flew the, I ran pretty far yesterday, but I ran even. Lessening Comparatives and Superlatives.

(See Issue 3 at the bottom. For example: clever, cleverer, cleverest. For example: smaller, happier, wider, more beautiful; Read more about comparative adjectives. Adjectives with three or more syllables form the comparative by putting more in front of the adjective, and the superlative by putting most in front. 10. 4. Forming Comparative and Superlative Adjectives An adjective can be in one of the following three degrees.

A comparative adjective is used to show who (or what) has a quality to the greater or lesser degree. ), smallest, happiest, widest, most beautiful, The bill is extortionate, and this is the, Last week, I stated that this woman was the, Instantaneous (Can something be more instantaneous?). What are the least desirable occupations among young people? Examples:

• Joe had the least experienced among the applicants. To lessen or de-intensity an adjective quality, we use. (In the first example below, the quality being compared is height.). • I think Plan B is the least risky option. 12. Vocational rather than academic, "Grammar for Grown-ups" is packed with real-life examples and keeps you engaged with a wealth of great quotations from Homer the Greek to Homer the Simpson. What is the least strenuous way to be fit and healthy? • Was there less crime in the past? 3. That said, do have a better understanding of comparatives and superlatives now? If the adjective has a consonant + single vowel + consonant spelling, the final consonant must be doubled before adding the ending.

Which occupations pay the least amount of money?

Bart had the least amount of formal education among the candidate for the post; nevertheless after the interview, he was hired.

11. Comparative Superlative; good: better: best: bad: worse: worst: little: less: least: much: more: most: far: further / farther: furthest / farthest Yes or no? Respond to the following statements and questions. Superlative adjectives are used to describe an object which is at the upper or lower limit of a quality (the tallest, the smallest, the fastest, the highest).

They are used in sentences where two nouns are compared, in this pattern: Noun (subject) + verb + comparative adjective + than + noun (object).