That said, I highly recommend including the icing because it’s a nice layer of lemony deliciousness. When the date mixture has cooled, stir it gently and then stir it into the egg/sugar mixture. September 2020. Free-range EggThe traditional glue of choice in any cake batter. New! Choose the type of message you'd like to post. Please try again. Love Walnuts too? Meanwhile, line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper and pre-heat your oven to 170°c (150°c for fan … Ingredients. The first recipe was the golden syrup cake, a firm favourite with all the family.

Between two of us this lasted a week kept in an airtight container and was still deliciously sticky and moist when finished today. I wanted each slice to have a walnut pieces, so I arranged them in a 4 by 6 grid. 3oz (90g) walnuts roughly chopped 2lb (1kg) loaf tin Lightly grease the loaf tin with butter and line with greaseproof paper*. Posted on January 30, 2017 by Katie Gaffen. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until uniform. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. 3 oz Caster sugar. Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking dish, spreading it as needed to make sure the dish is evenly filled.

A beautifully moist sponge base, packed with juicy dates and creamy walnuts; enjoy a thick slice with a spreading of butter, or add a little more sweetness with a generous layer of icing on top of your loaf. 1 tsp Baking powder. Keep an eye on your cake toward the end of baking and if you think it's looks done on top, cover with a sheet of tin foil – this will stop the top from burning while the inside continues to bake. Spoon mixture into a This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I know it works using place cherries! You just need to read it properly! Place the dates, bicarbonate of soda, margarine and sugar in a large bowl and pour over the boiling water. I have a fan oven so it didn’t take as long as the time stated, I had to cover the cake with tin foil for the last 20 minutes as it would have burnt. So perhaps try baking it for a shorter time. I think it’s because it reminds me of being in a quaint little coffee shop. Just make sure your walnuts are in date – nothing will spoil a Date and Walnut loaf more than coming across a rancid walnut. Condiments. Transfer the batter to your pre-lined tin and bake in your pre-heated oven for 1 hour – 1hour 15 minutes. recipes, as well as lots of tips and tricks from our all round baking expert, Granny. Whatever your serving preference, you can be sure it will be a hit with anyone you have nipping around for a cheeky wee cuppa! If your using large eggs try substituting for medium. Hi, I made the date and walnut cake this morning and it is so moreish. I’ve taken the liberty of Americanizing the ingredients, as well as providing most dry measurements in cups rather than weights (though it is a good idea to measure your ingredients by weight if you can). In light of all this new baking loot, as well as a serendipitous appearance of dried Medjool dates on a recent trip to Aldi, it only made sense to bake something from one of my new cookbooks. Try increasing the flour a little to make the batter slightly thicker. Bake for 1–1 1/4 hours or until the cake is risen and nicely browned and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Even reducing the cooking time and it still comes out dry and falls apart when cut. I opt for margarine as a way to omit the dairy but whatever you choose, just be sure it’s at room temperature before baking. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coffee_and_walnut_cake_03763 But if you only have plain to hand, fear not! The size of your eggs can also alter the consistency.

I’ve done it several times now & it comes out lovely, which is amazing because I don’t rate myself as a baker although I love doing it & have rekindled that love during lockdown.

Pour over the boiling water and stir until the butter has melted. Your email address will not be published. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window). Hope this helps.

This date and walnut “traybake” comes from Mary Berry’s 100 Cakes and Bakes. It also acts as the moisture in the loaf too. Pitted DatesOften referred to as “Mother Earths all-natural candy”…is it any wonder they are such a popular addition to baking? I agree.

2015-2020. Brilliant recipe! You can even trying swapping to Golden Caster Sugar for a more caramel-y taste. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Despite being very low in fat it has a lovely light, moist texture, thanks to the dried dates, and makes a pleasant alternative to a conventional fruited cake.

Decorate the cake with walnut halves and/or pieces. I have made this loaf twice now. Granted, I didn’t try the recipe exactly as written (a pet peeve of mine), but as far as I could tell, it turned out fine with the substitution. And of course they really make this cake what it is. Im making it again now, Love this recipe add a glug of wiiskey too tastes better the next day. 27. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top. The Date and walnut loaf cake I can’t seem to find how long to bake it for and temperature on the recipe thanks Karen? Add the walnuts and stir together until thoroughly mixed. Set aside to cool.

There’s something quite comforting about a slice of cake that’s been bakes in loaf-form. Please could you help with a remedy? ( Log Out /  Learn how your comment data is processed. A collection of classic (metric-friendly!) Baking & Spices. In mixing bowl, combine self raising flour, walnuts and sugar, then add to cooled basin of dates, margarine, water and bicarb. You can download the printable PDF recipe here: Mary Berry’s Date and Walnut Cake. My hubby is not a huge cake fan but this was delicious buttered with a hot cuppa. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. I’m unsure about how long things keep good though & would find it very helpful if there was a guide to storage ie how to & how long for. ( Log Out /  Tasty, moist, amd with a lovely crispy outside. Whether it’s Lemon Drizzle, Golden Syrup Cake, Banana Loaf, Sultana Cake, Gingerbread…we’ve countless cake loaf recipes here at Baking with Granny. © All content copyright to Amy Lorimer & Christine Lorimer unless otherwise stated. The cake was beautifully moist. Thanks, This is the best date and walnut loaf foolproof In the swinging '60s she became the cookery editor of Housewife magazine, followed by Ideal Home magazine. There was less liquid in this recipe and the resulting loaf was dry.