Do Not Travel to the States of Colima, Guerrero, Michoacán, or Sinaloa due to crime; or to the State of Tamaulipas due to crime and kidnapping. Cargo theft remains a key area of concern for U.S. and foreign companies. divided the city into 847 quadrants. Avoid the areas under the US travel warning. Do NOT come to Mexico, much less Cancun, unless you want to risk getting mugged, and even killed. Insurance policies have increased as a result; some no longer provide coverage for overnight cargo travel. The current U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory at the date of this report’s publication assesses Mexico at Level 2, indicating travelers should exercise increased caution due to crime. A notorious prison whose closure was announced this week has been controlled by inmates belonging to the Jalisco New Generation Cartel. The chief of the Federal Electricity Commission and the governor traded barbs on Tuesday over who is responsible for severe flooding. While kidnappings can occur anywhere, states within the Mexico City consular district with the highest number of kidnappings in 2018 were Estado de México, Veracruz, Guerrero, and Tabasco. Even knew one local who claimed all the stories about murders were "fake news" made up my foreigners! No help from the authorities and from no one else. SensiGuard has determined that cargo theft increased by roughly 127% compared with 2017 levels. The Mexico City Police Department divided the city into 847 quadrants. For more information, review OSAC’s report, The Overseas Traveler’s Guide to ATM Skimmers & Fraud. Mexico is a nice country and mexicans are nice, willing to help at all times and fair people. Thieves stole the large, reproductive-age black and green iguanas from their cages at a sanctuary in Juchitán. Analytics built by: Location, Inc. Nothing was stolen, but the person acted like crazy. The general crime rate in Mexico City is above the U.S. national average, and crime varies widely. Signs have emerged that the Jalisco New Generation Cartel is expanding its presence, largely by allying itself with the Fuerza Anti-Unión. Twenty-four hour radio taxi service is available at 5516-6020 and 3626-9800 to 30. The government prevents access to the mountain, closing it to climbers and hikers. The historic city center, Doctores, Del Valle Centro, Roma Norte, Narvarte and Buena Vista led the city in homicides, extortion and theft according to the 255,313 investigations opened last year. Should wearing face masks be mandatory to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Interested private-sector security managers should contact OSAC’s, U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the Department of State's. Six people were killed and another six seriously wounded Saturday in a gang-related massacre in the Mexico City borough of Azcapotzalco. During 2018, four tropical storms and a hurricane hit Mexico’s coasts. and be careless when walking around.always stay in near everybody else and with there is. This Crime and Safety Report focuses on the Embassy’s district, which is composed of Mexico City, the southern tip of Tamaulipas State and the following 13 states: Chiapas, México, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Hidalgo, Michoacán, Morelos, Oaxaca, Puebla, Querétaro, Tabasco, Tlaxcala, and Veracruz. I did stick to the touristy areas such as the historic district and the Zona Rosa and I'm sure if you ventured into the wrong neighborhood you might be in for a little bit of trouble, just like you would in pretty much every city in the world. Mexico Life writer Joseph Sorrentino goes on an all-day quest for just the perfect kind of flowers to make a Mexican Day of the Dead altar. When hiring domestic help, vet them by identifying references. AMLO’s austerity mindset means Mexico may repair only 90 of 2,000+ at-risk bridges. Map of homicide clusters in Mexico from October 2019 to September 2020 Because some municipios have a low population and homicides tend to be rare occurrences the variance in homicide rates per 100,000 tends to be high.

February 10: Criminals stole nuclear densimeters containing Americiym-241, Beryllium, and Cesium-137 out of the back of a truck in Guanajuato State. Mexico’s Secretariat of Government estimates that more than half of the thefts (about 53%) occurred in the Central region, with 22% in the West, 13% in the Southeast, 10% in the Northeast and 2% in the Northwest. Households and businesses in Guasave, Sinaloa, woke up Tuesday to no running water after power was cut to a treatment plant and six wells. Raw data sources: 18,000 local law enforcement agencies in the U.S. The General Procurement Office (Procuraduria General de Justicia, PGJ) of each state/city is in charge of investigating and prosecuting state and local crimes. Rebuilding costs may exceed US$1.6 billion. But what I won't get over is how dangerous MexicoCity is, in fact all of the country seems to be in a "dog eat dog" kind of existence. Each reply will be slightly different. The U.S. Embassy focuses on Mexico as a potential transit country for foreign terrorist groups to conduct operations against the U.S. As a Mexican American I felt safe and confident in my surroundings, but always kept my head on a swivel; however this time it was different. I'm a Englishman living in Mexico city for last 3 months and its such a fantastic city, The people are great and very warm and keep focused on were you are but I love this place and in fairness I always avoid western areas and prefer local people areas and ive never had a issue, I take precautions of course I use a wallet which is attached around a belt loop then inside pocket, I walk with confidence by not looking lost, I'm white Blue eyes brown hair and yes people look but I don't mind that I make every effort to be polite and respect this great city, Ive made a few friends now some of which I have to use google to translate, Just get involved and enjoy the culture, If you see obvious trouble try to avoid, avoid rush hour times on the metro and buses etc keep to main lit up streets, use UBER to travel from A to B at night, I walk myself but that's me and never have issues even stop off av a hotdog on my walks from the stalls in the street, I do read read though that there is assaults etc, yes wrong time wrong place maybe, Plan your route and try to avoid potential threats on yourself, Ive seen people walk past me earphones in all dressed up etc no observation or situational awareness to anything, keep switched on and enjoy life. I feel very safe in mexico city, the people are great and welcoming as long as you're not that asshole who doesn't want to learn spanish and expects everyone to cater to you. Affluent residents in Mexico City often have bodyguards and armored vehicles for their families. "According to the CNDH, only one out of every ten crimes is reported in Mexico; this is due to lack of trust from citizens to the authorities. Take precautions with regard to drinking water, eating fresh fruits, vegetables, and salads. Police at a crime scene in Mexico City. These protests often affect traffic during peak commute hours on and near Paseo de La Reforma, the city's primary avenue. There appears to be an uptick in virtual kidnapping. We are not rich country, but we have a respecr for police, justice system and especially for each other. ), violent crimes (being mugged or robbed, being attacked or insulted), corruption and other crimes. Statistically the capital again had by far the most murders for a Mexican city in 2019 (around 4,000) but people need to remember; it is a lot bigger than the others. Date(s) & Update Frequency: Reflects 2018 calendar year; released from FBI in Sept. 2019 (latest available). Travelers are responsible for ensuring that they have adequate health coverage while in Mexico. These data are based on perceptions of visitors of this website in the past 3 years. The general crime rate in Mexico City is above the U.S. national average, and crime varies widely.

Express kidnappings take advantage of the 24-hour industry-wide withdrawal limit placed on ATM cards. that it contradicts all the bad news you hear about it in the tv or radio, people is warm and polite. The mid-year presidential elections and NAFTA renegotiations roused speculation about the political and economic future of the country. Police officers’ aggression against a women’s protest in Cancún Monday has cost two officials their jobs. Although there have been substantial improvements in building regulations and response planning since the devastating 1985 earthquake, the earthquakes in 2017 killed at least 441 people. The Mexico crime heat map offers insight into the total crimes on a block group level. Mexico experienced an 8.2-magnitude earthquake on September 7, 2017. with an epicenter off the coast of Oaxaca, and a 7.1 quake on September 19, 2017, with an epicenter in Morelos. Based on the color coded legend above, the crime map outlines the areas with lower crime compared to the areas with higher crime. Insurance policies have increased as a result; some no longer provide coverage for overnight cargo travel.

When hiring domestic help, vet them by identifying references. The CDC offers additional information on vaccines and health guidance for Mexico. I've drank in zona rosa until 4am.. Kidbapping for money is a thing we do not know. Once the kidnappers are satisfied they have obtained as much money as they can, they end the call. Criminals select victims based on an appearance of prosperity, vulnerability, or a lack of awareness. Related: 10 Of The Most Dangerous Cities In The United Kingdom. A common modus operandi for express kidnappings in Mexico City is to target passengers using libre taxis; two or three armed accomplices will enter the taxi a few minutes into the trip. The ACS Unit cannot recommend a particular individual or location and assumes no responsibility for the quality of service provided. How to Handle Incidents of Police Detention or Harassment. You can interactively filter the municipios shown on the map based on their homicide rates by using the histogram widget in the top right corner of the map. A variation affecting travelers at hotels is an extortion-by-deception scheme, wherein extortionists call a victim and convince them to isolate themselves from family/friends until they receive a ransom. They may demand that the victims deliver the ransom in person, which can turn into a real kidnapping, or that they send the money electronically. Thanks to the open data iniciative by the Mexico City government there is geolocalized data available for all crimes commited in Mexico City. Useful information on medical emergencies abroad, including overseas insurance programs, is available on the Consular Affairs webpage on, For medical assistance, refer to the Embassy’s, Air Ambulance Professionals 800-752-4195 or 954-730-9300, Health insurance is an important consideration. Registration will make your presence and whereabouts known. There all in on the take-including the "law enforcement officials". Celaya is a city in Mexico that has been a fairly popular tourist destination in Mexico for quite some time. The important thing I can say is learn some basic Spanish and be polite. Country-specific Vaccination and Health Guidance. Passengers should be on the alert for pickpockets and other thieves, especially on the most crowded, busiest routes during rush hour. The law covering misappropriation of trade secrets also covers economic espionage activity.